Best metal detector for $600 and under?

Krebsdetector

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Krebs, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 right now. I'm about to upgrade though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all, this is my first day on treasurenet.com. I have had a Garrett Ace 250 for about a year now and I have found many great things, but I am ready for an upgrade. I was thinking about the Garrett AT Pro, but I'm open to any suggestions! I usually hunt old homesteads and church grounds very frequently. Most of the places I hunt are very trashy with signals everywhere !! I live in Southeastern oklahoma. I am wanting to get it really soon! So , thanks for the replies and happy hunting from

Upvote 0

digthis

May 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome, They'll be people that will answer promptly! But I've found just reading these forums and others you'll find plenty of info on what you want to know on just about every kind of metal detector, tips and tricks and so on.....

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to t-net. You will have fun here. Everyone will have an opinion on this one and there are many experienced people. I think your choice of the at pro is a good one personally . It is a versatile machine at the price. Some places offer some neat package deals. I always when ordering make sure it is in stock when will it ship and ask for a shipping or tracking number ASAP. This can keep you from a lot of grief regardless of who you buy from or where.
I hear there is a lot of demand for that machine so check first on availability also check to make sure if tax and shipping will be charged to you and get a final price. Good luck!
TnMtns

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome. I use a Tesoro Cibola. It has been doing well, paid for itself 10 times over the first 6 months I had it. Maybe one day I'll sell some of the stuff I found....but probably not.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the AT PRO is a great detector and you can check with the dealers on here and get great deals you can also find good used detectors for around that price like a minelab safari or dfx if the 250 is working for you then keep using it till you figure out what you really want dont rush yourself if you have detector stores near you go there and test drive some models good luck H.H.

OP
OP
Krebsdetector

Krebsdetector

Greenie
Feb 25, 2013
Krebs, Ok
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 right now. I'm about to upgrade though.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the welcome guys. I really think the AT Pro is the best choice for my hunting style. Although, I have thought a lot about fisher products and minelab exterra's , and the Garrett GTI 1500. So I really haven't decided yet.

bbells

Jan 5, 2013
Delano, MN
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you make a list of where you want to hunt, the conditions you will be hunting under, what you want to find, etc. Then look at all the name brands: Garrett, Fisher, Minelab, Tesoro, etc. and compare them to your list. Most of us will suggest the detector we are most familiar with - ie. The ones we are using. I like the AT-Pro myself, nut you would probably be happy with any name brand detector in that price range.

Silverfinder99

Mar 23, 2012
Jacksonville AR
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're already accustomed to the 250 (like I was) and hunting in very trashy areas I think you'll find the AT GOLD to be your best bet. Of course it's right on the edge of your price range but with the smaller stock coil it will really help you weed out the trash and find the good target where the AT PRO's larger stock coil would be a little harder to get in between the trash. The gold will do everything the pro will do except work well in salt water and its higher frequency will help find small gold. Plus the Golds true iron audio is excellent for discriminating iron. I haven't dug a single nail since buying mine. It does get fooled by an occasional bottle cap though but I can live with that. My favorite thing about it is its ease of use. Going from the 250 to the Gold was so simple. And I'm not making this up, my very first target I dug with my Gold was a 14k women's ring. It's an unbelievably easy machine to learn, just watch the very interesting instructional video by Steve Moore from Garrett and you'll literally be ready to find anything. Bottom line, I'm finished buying detectors unless I break this one. I LOVE THIS MACHINE!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Same tecter as the one for $629.99 and under I reckon. But really, there is no best tecter in any price range. That would be just silly, and at most, just some nimrod's opinion on Tnet, like me. I say F5.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if i were to spend that much money i'd have to have a lifetime warranty, tesoro

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went from an ACE 250 to the AT PRO however I think most detectors in that price range are pretty much equal. Your familiarity with the ACE 250 will help with the AT PRO but there is a big learning curve. It takes about 50 to 100 hours before you know you made the right choice. Ask Bart at Big Boys Hobbies and he will help and has as good of price as anyone. He will throw in a Lesch digger and a small shovel as well.

As some other have said read other posts and make your own decision.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread