My granddaddys pasture. Where to hunt first?

DennisW

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
image-2430676856.jpg

Blue dot is house where my granddaddy was born. Not much left now.
Green dot is where he was plowing one day and plowed up part of an old chimney.
Yellow dot is where he and my grandmother lived after they were married.
Red dots are where 2 old whiskey still used to be. He said they were there before he lived there but he remembered the sheriff coming in and tearing them up.
The pink dot in lower left is where he was living when he died 2 years ago.
The land was originally owned by an Indian. Rumor has it that he's buried somewhere over there.

This was some of my grandaddys land. Not shown is another pasture that used to have an old house and blacksmith shop in it. You can still see burnt stones and the remains of a well on it. We used to ride over in his pasture all the time and he would tell me the history of it. When I was younger I got tired of hearing his stories. Now I'd love to ride through there one more time with him. Always cherish the time you spend with old timers. He was like a walking history book. He gave me my first rifle, a Remington 243. He was a great man.
This is my first post on here and I'm hoping to get some good tips or advice. Was using an old bounty hunter. Waiting on a new ace 250 to get here now.
Thanks

Upvote 0

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hunt around the old still site. It's a given that money exchanged hands there. Not to mention that the bootleggers spent a lot of time sitting, working and sleeping around it. They might have also stashed some money in the immediate area. Good luck!

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the "dots" are potential for finds. Good luck, post pics of your finds.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to historicmapworks.com for TWP plat maps. Some might show where old buildings were on the property.
Historicaerials.com has overhead photo's that go back to the early 50's in some areas and even further in others.
They might reveal some spots on the property that are no longer apparent. They don't cover everywhere in the USA, but you might get lucky.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
What ever you do,the best in your quest,lord knows what you will find,you've got a LOT of ground to cover. GodBless Chris

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my opinion, but I would start at the blue dot..since its in a field, you know there was a house and you are new to using a detector...should be relatively easy digging for ya.

Good Luck.

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wherever you start, you have been blessed with a whole lot of good land. Happy hunting and keep us posted

jmoller99

Jan 8, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado USA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Goldmaster Vsat, 5900, Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 and Falcon MD-20.
Primary Interest:
Other
Look for trash dump sites and old outhouse sites on the property. Some amazing things were thrown away. I also like old chicken coops (people hid things there - chickens make a racket if someone tries to sneak into their coop). Also look for post/fence lines. Some people buried things under one of the posts as a 'bank'. Personal gardens have also been 'bank' areas too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread