Sun Ray probes

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one on my E-trac and I wouldn't want to hunt without it. I was extremely depressed when my last one died after 4 years because they were all on backorder and I had to wait for a new one.

CurlysGold

Sep 23, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you already have a pin pointer? Which brand? Having a separate PP allows you the flexibility to use it when you're out with your other detectors.

OP
OP
T

The Punisher

Feb 6, 2013
Elkin NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Garrett CXiii
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I have the Garrett pin pointer, and its a nice pin pointer.... just seeing if there was anything "better". I think it would be neat to see the numbers on a target as you get closer.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the S-1 inline probe on my Sov GT and it works off the detector's batteries and disc or all metal from the detector itself. Its like a one inch coil.:thumbsup:

BHNugget

Aug 8, 2009
Western,SD
Detector(s) used
ETrac/X1
Sovereign GT/S1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd hate to hunt without a sunray probe. Years ago when I first tried one, yes there were times I forgot to switch the box back from probe to coil, and it'll frustrate you, but you quickly get used to it and it becomes second nature to switch it back to the coil after digging a hole. A sunray probe can utilize all the features of your F75 with the probe (ie: all metal, your discrimination settings, pin point etc.). Yes the sunray is somewhat brand/model specific, but I've never used a hand held that I ever came close to liking as much as the sunray. It was one of my brothers biggest gripes when considering a purchase of the CTX 3030 (even though he bought it, he still complains about the sunray not being available for it :laughing7:.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
the sunray in-line probe is much superior to free-standing pinpointers, IMHO. The best parts about having the inline probe, is that a) the sound comes in through your same headphones, and b) it's operating off the exact same settings (tone ID's, disc settings, etc....) as your detector settings. After using one for awhile, you'll feel very naked NOT having one on a machine. A lot of fun, and they keep your holes much smaller.

OP
OP
T

The Punisher

Feb 6, 2013
Elkin NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD
Garrett CXiii
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
from the looks about it, I must have one! Thanks for the replies.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah...I'm really leaning towards one too...I do a lot of hunting in the woods though....that's the only thing I'm worried about........it catching on everything.

I guess I could change shafts when I hunt parks, ballfields, etc......and then when I hunt the woods just use the shaft without the sunray and use my Garrett propointer........

What a tough world we live in...with all these important decisions.:laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions