Need advice for a beginner on what detector to start with

Mar 3, 2013
West Coast of Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hi! My name is Candi and I have been a coin collector since I was a little girl (Grand father influenced me). I love anything and everything with a history. My favorite era is the late 1800's. I now want to start using metal detectors in my area in hopes to find some treasures :) I have no idea what type of metal detector would be best for me.... at a reasonable ::cough:: Cheap ::cough:: price. I am interested in finding coins and gold mainly. Also, I don't know much about these and am hoping to find one that is good on land and water as I live along the west coast of Florida.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome From White Plains, New York! Here are my suggestions:

Tesoro Compadre 8"

Fisher F2

Garrett Ace 250

Whites Coinmaster

NCHornet

Feb 28, 2013
Mayberry RFD, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Sun King Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will get better response if you give a dollar amount you want to spend. Myself, I prefer a gently used higher end model than a new entry level machine, but that is me. The Garrett 150 and 250 have really good reviews and you can get into one of them without a huge investment. Just remember this, cheap tools aren't good and good tools aren't cheap.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome From White Plains, New York! Here are my suggestions:

Tesoro Compadre 8"

Fisher F2

Garrett Ace 250

Whites Coinmaster

I agree with Terry here as for entry level machines on the budget minded side ($200 range or so) but - you'll find lots of coins/items with any of them

on the other hand though

when you add the "water hunting" factor in and being a salt water area (FL coast) - that changes the game BIG time -

none of the machines listed would be any good to you in salt water as they are not water proof and none of them would do any good on the wet sand either because the salt/mineral would drive them nuts/overload them to the point of being useless

in dry sand you'd be okay but not the salt water or wet sand

you'd need a much higher dollar machine for that purpose (something with at least dual frequency and/or a salt mode) or a PI machine.

OP
OP
C
Mar 3, 2013
West Coast of Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You will get better response if you give a dollar amount you want to spend. Myself, I prefer a gently used higher end model than a new entry level machine, but that is me. The Garrett 150 and 250 have really good reviews and you can get into one of them without a huge investment. Just remember this, cheap tools aren't good and good tools aren't cheap.

Sorry about that, the salt water searching is a big must. I was hoping to not spend any more than $500. If you all could suggest some brands, I could search online for used one :)

Thanks for all of the replies!! :)

OP
OP
C
Mar 3, 2013
West Coast of Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have found a waterproof one online called Bounty Hunter Gold series. Has anyone ever heard of this? I am thinking it may be a lower end detector. I am really just looking for something that will work on land and in a foot or so of salt water.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Trying to get the best of both worlds for that price is going to be about impossible. (used or not)

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have found a waterproof one online called Bounty Hunter Gold series. Has anyone ever heard of this? I am thinking it may be a lower end detector. I am really just looking for something that will work on land and in a foot or so of salt water.
Some people like Bounty Hunter but as NCHornet said " Just remember this, cheap tools aren't good and good tools aren't cheap." Bounty Hunters are on the "cheap" side. If I were you I would save up a little longer and search for a quality machine gently used. I personally hate throwing money away...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
And by the way, welcome Coincollector1982 :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread