Rookie needs help

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone...so I'm new to the world of metal detecting though I've been surfice hunting indian artifacts for over 30 yrs. I've wanted to metal detect for years & now is the time for me to dive into this hobby. I"ve been doing alot of research on metal detectors & a'm trying to figure out what detector is the best for my needs. I can afford a detector in the $800.00 range & plan on using it for coins,relics,etc.There are so many to choose from that my head is swimming in the choises of makes & models.So the detectors I have in mind at this time are: #1 Fisher F70 #2 Minelab X-Terra 705 & #3 Garrett AT Pro. They all are good machines from what I've read but is there another out there that I'm not seeing? Is depth of baried treasure a big consideration? I do not want to buy a entry level detector & then wish I had gone a notch better. Thanks for any help from a rookie....Wisc.

Upvote 0

GrizLeeBear

Jan 18, 2013
Full Time In An RV
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Each of us will tend to tell you to get the brand we have. I like Garrett for beginners, as they are user friendly. The AT-Pro is versatile and it works. I do not intend this in any way as a downer to any other detector. No matter what you get, practice, practice, practice. Successful detecting is a skill acquired through using the machine. Plant both good and trash targets and learn how your detector sees them. Happy Hunting.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't care which detector your choose.....you can always find one a "notch" better in some regard. You might also think about a good used machine. You can find many high end models in that price range that might be better than the ones you listed. I'd check with other detectorists in your area to see what works good in your soil for the targets you expect to find. Good Luck!

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't overlook the Tesoro line of detectors. Many of their models are "turn on and go", and trust me they are no joke. They are light in weight, and powerful with great target seperation. Having said that, I have an AT Pro and love it, but more of a learning curve (for me anyway).

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tesoro lifetime warranty; 'nough said. :)

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone...so I'm new to the world of metal detecting though I've been surfice hunting indian artifacts for over 30 yrs. I've wanted to metal detect for years & now is the time for me to dive into this hobby. I"ve been doing alot of research on metal detectors & a'm trying to figure out what detector is the best for my needs. I can afford a detector in the $800.00 range & plan on using it for coins,relics,etc.There are so many to choose from that my head is swimming in the choises of makes & models.So the detectors I have in mind at this time are: #1 Fisher F70 #2 Minelab X-Terra 705 & #3 Garrett AT Pro. They all are good machines from what I've read but is there another out there that I'm not seeing? Is depth of baried treasure a big consideration? I do not want to buy a entry level detector & then wish I had gone a notch better. Thanks for any help from a rookie....Wisc.

Start with a machine you can manually ground balance. These machines start around $450.00 (Tesoro Vaquero), and go up from there. Look into multi-frequency technology like the Minelab Safari ($1,000.00). Good Luck!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own 4 Minelabs and 1 Whites. I liked them a lot when I got them. As my style, abilities and desires changed I purchased a new detector. If I were to start detecting today I would probably get a Garretts, an Ace 25 or 350 or the AT Pro depending on how much I can spend. If you get hooked you will eventually try a Minelab. They are expensive but you can get a good price on the Explorer II (get it with the newer coil), Explorer SE, or Etrac. When the CTX-3030 came out everyone jumped on it and put up their old units for sale. I have 3 of the 4 Minelabs I just mentioned, they all work well.

As I continue to refine my detecting needs I have found I like; a display, depth indication, VDI, multiple sounds, filters, waterproof if going around water. Think ahead and get the detector you will use and buy one with those capabilities.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I owned a F70 and still own the Xterra 705. There were a couple of things I didn't care for on the F70. Of the half dozen I've owned, it was the most complex to set up, and tended to be on the chattery side of not properly set up. For that reason I don't think it is a good starter detector. The Xterra on the other hand is easy to us right out of the box but has all the features a more experienced land hunter may want.

kingingkunsan

Greenie
Mar 5, 2013
Goldsboro, NC
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Tesoro Eldorado
Minelab Explorer II
Tesoro Golden micro Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as stated above, you need to know your coditions. there are lots of detectors in your range. i have minelab explorer ii. i have used it for 10 plus years. i like everything about it except the weight. swinging 4 plus pounds for more than 4 hours is exhausting. i just purchased Tesoro for a few reasons. light weight (2.2lbs), lifetime warranty, reputation. BUT i am not telling you to go with tesoro. good site is kellyco.com you can compare detectors side by side. good luck

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everone for your input,very good suggestions. One thing I didnot mention that would sway my decision on what detector to buy is my interest in looking for copper indian artifacts. As I said in my original post I've been looking for stone indian artifacts for over 30 yrs. That hobby has really been going south for about the last 15 to 20 years due to changing plowing practices,namely low till/no till. Indian village sites that once would produce many "arrowheads" now produce little if any. I do have friends that still look but no one metal detects although I did meet one guy recently that does detect for copper artifacts & he uses a Fisher F75 LTD. I know I can talk to him about what is a good detector for copper artifacts but I also want to see what others would use also. Copper artifacts is just one use along with using it for coins,other relics,jewlery,etc.

The point about seeing what works best for my location,S.E. Wisconsin,is well taken. Why is manual ground balance an important consideration as Terry stated? I think the F70 , 705 & AT Pro may be off my list & now am looking at the M.L. Safari along with the F75.WHY? I'm looking for a machine that will reach a little deeper for copper-at least 10". I can afford the extra $200.00 for one of these. Am I looking at this situation correctly or blowing $$$ where I don't need to? I will also be looking at the Tesoro line,I'm in no hurry to buy there's about 2 feet of snow on the ground around here. Thanks for taking the time.

Oh ya...I will be looking into a local detecting club.

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if your looking for depth then i would go for a fisher model. i owned the f 70 before and i regret getting rid of it, it wasn't all that hot on coins but great for relics such as what you are hunting for. i would pop four double a batteries in it and i could hunt for 40 plus hours. the machine is hard to learn and is on the chatty side ill give it that but if its depth you want that that what it will give. f 70, f75, cz-3d and the cz-21 are all deep divers.

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm leaning heavy towards the F75 for my very first m.d. because: #1 it detects deep #2 vast majority of reviews are positive #3 It's used by a guy I know who looks for the same types of relics that I'm interested in(he has the F75LTD also). #4 I beleave I can learn how to use it properly without to much trouble.

With all that said it still amazes me how some people put this m.d. down. #1 build quality is cheap #2 makes to much noise-chatter I guess.But with that said I'm finding out that no matter what m.d. I'm looking at they all get mixed reviews. Minelab Safari interest me but it does not have manual ground balance,is that a deal breaker? At this point I don't know. So my search & research continues..........

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wisc.,
Copper is well, Copper and historically it was used for making pennies and pennies sound off really well with any detector. Depth is something you will need to research. I would also suggest you purchase a machine that has optional coils available for it, larger coils detect deeper while smaller coils can locate good targets in a heavy junk areas.

Going to a club is a superb thought. There is a 'brands area' here on Tnet for you to look at general posts to gain an idea of what and how deep folks are finding things. A heavy detector is not fun to swing for long periods so see if the detector can easily be hip or chest mounted. Your available dollar value puts you into the area of some high end machines, some of which have a steep learning curve though most have turn on and go set points. Some of the best set point need to be manually set and possibly stored. Many times some kind folks have posted their special programs for others to use/tinker with, these can save a new user many hours though geographical areas can require changes due to minerals in any particular soil. Best of luck with your search and purchase. This site has several sponsors where one can receive a good price when purchasing a detector and accessories, check them out when you get to that point................63bkpkr

OP
OP
W

Wisc.

Mar 5, 2013
Fond du Lac,Wisc.
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally found the md that I want & I feel confident in my choise. For being a beginner I need a md thats easy to set up & use so for me that eliminated the Fisher F70 & F75 plus I hear alot about chatter.I know these are great machines but may be alittle complex for my low level of experience. I also looked hard at the Whites,Tesoro's & the Garrett AT Pro-love that this one is waterproof but could also be too complex for a beginner. That left me with the Minelab's-the Safari or the X-Terra 705 & I settled on the 705. WHY you ask?
#1 majority of user reviews are positive
#2 easy to set up/use for a beginner
#3 reviewers say it has very good depth
#4 manual/auto ground balancing
#5 combination of coils & frequencies (3.5kHz,7.5kHz,18.75kHz)
#6 talked it over with a friend who has a Fisher F75 & a F75 LTD (he also detects with others that use Minelab's)
#7 the price is right-$729.00
So there you go. Any comments before I pluck down my hard earned $$$ will be welcome.....positive or negative......Thanks
Oh ya now I'm looking at WHERE to buy???

Last edited:

treasure search

Jan 26, 2013
MID WEST
Detector(s) used
YOU NAME IT. I'VE USED IT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had good results with the Fisher F70, but whatever you choose I wish you the best of luck. With most of the newer detectors on market you can plan to spend several hours /days gettting to know/learn about the detector before taking in the field for serious hunting.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wisc,
Your summation of what drew you to settle on 705 is right on. For a place to purchase from - check the sponsors here on Tnet (bart at toys for big boys) and you might also try Clevengers Detector sales out of Kansas City, MO. They can be found on the net.................Enjoy your new machine, 63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions