Do you conceal carry while detecting?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
After thinking about it for 1/2 hour .... If trouble looks like it might happen, I think a call to 911 would be suffice..... if no service is available or to far away .... then I think I would call upon my1911 Colt ...that will suffice

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
After thinking about it for 1/2 hour .... If trouble looks like it might happen, I think a call to 911 would be suffice..... if no service is available or to far away .... then I think I would call upon my1911 Colt ...that will suffice

I have to agree with this...

N5834U

Mar 2, 2013
I ALWAYS CC - every where I can, all the time - that's the point. I would hate to not have it when I need it. I was already held up at gun point, and was fortunately armed. I got off six rounds, they got off zero, and have been recovering in a Texas penitentiary ever since, learning to use prosthetic body parts. My AT Pro would sure find him now!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not usually, since there's no need in my in town area. It's just extra gear - I don't have a spiritual connection to my pistols. I am very familiar with them though, and can use them well. I consider that healthy.

When in the woods - it's a judgement call. I do have a couple of knives I carry most all the time, a Cold Steel Big Bear and bolo machete for hostile vegetation.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I conceal carry for personal empowerment more than anything else and before someone goes off the handle here,Allow me to explain what i mean. I carry my weapon concealed because it does not pose a threat and does not intimidate anyone around me,As far as anyone around is concerned im just everyday joe schmo who is out minding his own business and not posing a threat to anyone. But i also know that there are many ppl in this world who prey on everyday joe schmo,In the event that a person physically attacks an unarmed citizen because they see an opportunity to take advantage of someone,Joe Schmo has every right to seize an opportunity to defend himself and give mr badguy one in the head an two in the chest.I carry concealed because id hate to take another persons life and i dont want to invite problems by flashing a handgun on my side,But i also feel empowered knowing that i have the right and option that may be required for preservation of my own life shall a situation ever arise. I would rather be a politically incorrect inmate who killed someone in self defense as a politically correct victim who is being buried by his children. The whole point of a concealed weapon is exactly that,Concealment.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Not usually, since there's no need in my in town area. It's just extra gear - I don't have a spiritual connection to my pistols. I am very familiar with them though, and can use them well. I consider that healthy.

When in the woods - it's a judgement call. I do have a couple of knives I carry most all the time, a Cold Steel Big Bear and bolo machete for hostile vegetation.
... Now i like that ..... You have the best post here.. I liked that " about spiritual connection "....... All most like to do is brag about there weapons..........

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
... Now i like that ..... You have the best post here.. I liked that " about spiritual connection "....... All most like to do is brag about there weapons..........

Who is bragging?

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
No
I can`t carry here in N.Y. you have to have a permit ....or be a crack head/gangster/thug/criminal

Last edited:

labradigger1

Sep 8, 2012
tucker co wv
Detector(s) used
whites dfx, mxt pro, tdi, bullseye II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, 357 magnum, because shooting a 9mm twice is just silly.
3 snake shot, 3-125jhp.
I would rather have it and never use it rather than need it and not have it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yep, 357 magnum, because shooting a 9mm twice is just silly.
3 snake shot, 3-125jhp.
I would rather have it and never use it rather than need it and not have it.

Hard to argue with that!

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Open carry. Will probably never need it, but it feels good to exercise my constitutional rights.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Hunting Buddy does always...Only place he takes it off is at the schools...But Parks, and Old Vacant homes...Always packing...To many Bums and Scumbags out there

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
Beach hunting at night I have carried a flare gun, ....mostly on beach's I'm not familiar with....You never know when your going to fall in.........:laughing7:

Diggit20

Feb 20, 2013
Leesburg, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always! Can't think of a reason not to...we no longer live in the 60's when life was safe and most worked for what they wanted. Now people would rather steal what you have worked for than earn things for themselves. There are just to many things that go on in this day and age not to protect yourself. If you have a permit or are lucky enough to live in an open carry state, carry it!!

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes.
Safety.

Because when every second counts, the police are only minutes away.

Last edited:

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Never felt the need to carry a weapon (aside from a massive digging knife) when hunting parks
and playfields. I pay close attention to my surroundings, and stay away from dark corners and
areas where it would be easier to sneak up on someone.

Out in the deeper desert it's a totally different issue: I carry a 12ga. in the truck (which I am
never far from) and the first 2 shells are 3" mag's of BB"s, and the two following are
#4 Buckshot. I'll see someone coming, and be at the back end of my truck long before
they are close enough to be concerned about. If folks are friendly and don't give me any
reason to feel threatened, the shotgun never comes out from under the blanket (but my
hand is on the stock..lol). If they are looking for trouble...well..... I'll be glad to give
'em some..
shoot.gif

Out there any law enforcement is likely an hour away, at the very best, so handling
the issue by dialing 911 (if there's even cell service) won't do much good, so call 'em
when the dust settles and you are safe.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread