Do you conceal carry while detecting?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Never felt the need to carry a weapon (aside from a massive digging knife) when hunting parks
and playfields. I pay close attention to my surroundings, and stay away from dark corners and
areas where it would be easier to sneak up on someone.

Out in the deeper desert it's a totally different issue: I carry a 12ga. in the truck (which I am
never far from) and the first 2 shells are 3" mag's of BB"s, and the two following are
#4 Buckshot. I'll see someone coming, and be at the back end of my truck long before
they are close enough to be concerned about. If folks are friendly and don't give me any
reason to feel threatened, the shotgun never comes out from under the blanket (but my
hand is on the stock..lol). If they are looking for trouble...well..... I'll be glad to give
'em some..

Out there any law enforcement is likely an hour away, at the very best, so handling
the issue by dialing 911 (if there's even cell service) won't do much good, so call 'em
when the dust settles and you are safe.

This is good advise!

FlyingProspector

Feb 5, 2013
Lodi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No
I can`t carry here in N.Y. you have to have a permit ....or be a crack head/gangster/thug/criminal

Hahaha that's the same in stockton ca. All the wrong people are armed and the ones who aren't are in danger just walking the streets.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
... Now i like that ..... You have the best post here.. I liked that " about spiritual connection "....... All most like to do is brag about there weapons..........

Well, don't get me wrong - I like mine, and they're good ones - a stainless Redhawk in 44 Mag, Sig Sauer P229S in 357 Sig/40 SW, and Browning Challenger 22LR. But I think I'm able to keep a decent perspective. I don't feel that I'm somehow incomplete without carrying. The vast majority of LE officers here are like that. Don't know how else to explain it.

I keep up to date about local crime here (low), and dangers in the woods (DNR & my network of hunters and trappers). The latter has more uncertainty around here.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup! in the woods, Or when I go to Chattanooga, Thats a Cracktown if in there ever was one.....................HH

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I do not! It would be stupid!! I detect in the woods and meet up with lots of bears and other critters so I need to be able to get at it quick without digging around inside of a coat so I keep it out in the open...................63bkpkr

NCHornet

Feb 28, 2013
Mayberry RFD, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CXIII
Sun King Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry every where I go, every where!!!!! Can't carry, I don't go!!! Not paranoid, just prepared.

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
hell ya. I carry a metal detector and a metal ejector. lol ,but seriously 40 cal s&w . you never know

wa-au-nut

Dec 1, 2012
Marysville,Wa.
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I like the 357 straped on the hip,1st chamber a snake charmer for Grouse when season is open, then wad cutters. Carry the 9m the rest of the time.

iCandy

Aug 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I carry a potato gun in my detecting bag.....havn't been caught yet!!!

Mortamus

Jun 9, 2012
Southern Callie
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
9 Mil always while in the gold fields or desert nt needed in the parks lol

kymoyers

Greenie
Mar 7, 2013
Wingo, Ky
Detector(s) used
none at present. I plan to purchase another one. It will probably be a f75 or t2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do if it isn't unlawful on the location I'm hunting, and especially when I'm am hunting off the main road, in fields and the like.

Duffala

Sep 25, 2012
Mountain Home, idaho
Detector(s) used
On my second Garrett Ace 250 ; Garrett Pro- Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
.380 in town.. then when im out in the desert .40 but that's more for the wild animals

nose picker

Mar 9, 2013
Never carry a gun....no need to....I do not like guns, and love people too much to even threaten some one else's life.

Some people may think that's dumb, but that's the way I want it.

phishisgroovin

May 24, 2012
Kent, Wa.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Glad I had mine today, friggin trashed drunk, alcoholics. Can I have the change you find? Um - no. do I look like a bank?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread