Do you conceal carry while detecting?

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
I was wondering if you guys and gals conceal carry (with a permit of course) while you are detecting? I am planning on hunting some wooded areas where bears are common, and I was thinking of carrying while going there for my safety. There are a plethora of other reasons to carry but I just wanted to see what the general consensus was and why? Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

UNC_

Mar 21, 2009
central mo
Detector(s) used
whites prizm V, ace 250
i carry when detecting country areas because of snakes, we dont have many bears but are a few but spring time they will have cubs too so that is a thought

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
I live in a open carry state where anyone can carry a firearm as long as its visible. If you get caught alone with one of those wild hogs you'll be wishing you had it.

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always except in areas where it's illegal to.

Prospecting P.

Mar 1, 2013
Port Townsend - Tacoma, Washington
Detector(s) used
dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
i've grown up running around in the woods, honestly have never needed my pistol but was always glad i had it when i seen a cougar stalking on the rocky hillside or walked up on a bear eating blackberrys by the park. I've seen coyotes so big it wouldnt think twice about eating my leg off and in packs of 6 to 8. A gun is only a tool, just like any tool it has a purpose. I carry a shovel hoping i get to use it, i carry my gun hoping i dont need to use it.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also live in an open carry state, and I make darn sure I am packin' when I am out in the desert. Never know what, or who may sneak up on you!

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
Always....Hope I never have to use it....... BUT hope to have it if EVER I do need it. Ex boy scout " Be Prepared "

OP
OP
R

rossman85

May 14, 2012
harrisburg, pa
Detector(s) used
garrett at pro, pro pointer, lesche digger
Thank you guys for the responses. I just wanted to see if I what everyone thought.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
[h=2]Do you conceal carry while detecting?[/h]
Yes.

Because of the two legged predators.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, Thats just an extra coil under my jacket,Wanna see it?? lol

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you're legally allowed to carry, I would. I think all law abiding citizens of this country should take a firearms class and carry. It helps cut down on the crime rate and people tend to be a lot more polite.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
There are crazy people everywhere, woods included. I would for sure worry about people more than animals!

Coureur de Bios

Feb 5, 2013
NW Lower Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Yup. There are many reasons to want to carry a handgun. The flippant answer is "Because a cop is too heavy.". As was correctly stated, a gun is no more than a tool to be carried and used responsibly. In a previous thread, I stated that, with the influx in cougar sightings and bear activity, I just feel more comfortable with an extra bit of weight on my hip. May well never have to use it but then, I hope to never have to use the collision insurance on my vehicle as well. Likewise, may we never fall prey to the anti-constitutional zealots who would stoop so low as to use a tragedy to further their political agenda and infringe upon our right to self protection. Besides, I carry concealed just because I can.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Yup. There are many reasons to want to carry a handgun. The flippant answer is "Because a cop is too heavy.". As was correctly stated, a gun is no more than a tool to be carried and used responsibly. In a previous thread, I stated that, with the influx in cougar sightings and bear activity, I just feel more comfortable with an extra bit of weight on my hip. May well never have to use it but then, I hope to never have to use the collision insurance on my vehicle as well. Likewise, may we never fall prey to the anti-constitutional zealots who would stoop so low as to use a tragedy to further their political agenda and infringe upon our right to self protection. Besides, I carry concealed just because I can.
If I could have clicked the like button 100 times for your post I would have! Well said!! Never let the anti-constitutional idiots destroy this country! Welcome to the forum and make sure you check out the second amendment watchdog forum under the everything else section if you haven't already.

Coureur de Bios

Feb 5, 2013
NW Lower Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
dieselram94 said:
If I could have clicked the like button 100 times for your post I would have! Well said!! Never let the anti-constitutional idiots destroy this country! Welcome to the forum and make sure you check out the second amendment watchdog forum under the everything else section if you haven't already.

Thank you. Wasn't aware of the second amendment watchdog forum. Grew up hunting and handling firearms at a very early age. Am a certified NRA pistol instructor and one of over 350,000 concealed pistol license holders here in Michigan. Thank you again.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I do when I'm in the hood whether I'm detecting or not. The animals in my neck of the woods do not hang out in the forest.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
This question was just asked Feb, 17..under general discussion............ So i will gig you the same answer i gave them..... Yes i go out armed all the time never leave home with out my 2 arms my right & left....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread