Detector for my 12 yo son.

freightdawg747

Sep 29, 2008
Fort Mill, SC
Detector(s) used
F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Going to buy my son a detector in the next week or so. Obviously it will be his first one. I have kind of narrowed the field to either an Ace250 or the F2 with the 11dd coil.....any suggestions or comments.

I have experience with both Fisher and Garrett. My Fisher F75 gets more depth than my GTI 2500 seemed to. But the GTI seemed more user friendly.......just wondered if the same is true for each companies lower end models......

Upvote 0

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having experience with both, I would lean towards the Ace 250.

The F2 just has a "cheap" feel to it in my opinion.
FIsher machines are funny. It's like there is a cutoff at the F5 and up, and the F2 seemed like it was made by elves or something. My F5 is a pretty good machine, but the F2 was not very impressive.
And the 250 had better performance and depth in my experience.

oakhunter27

Mar 25, 2010
ohio
Going to buy my son a detector in the next week or so. Obviously it will be his first one. I have kind of narrowed the field to either an Ace250 or the F2 with the 11dd coil.....any suggestions or comments.

I have experience with both Fisher and Garrett. My Fisher F75 gets more depth than my GTI 2500 seemed to. But the GTI seemed more user friendly.......just wondered if the same is true for each companies lower end models......

Ace 250 is a good beginners detector

heathgeo

Dec 1, 2012
Salisbury, MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark
Yeah id go with the Ace 250 or a Tesoro Compadre.
Both are great detectors for beginners...

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been known to refer to the Tesoro Compadre as, "the cheapest thing that can be called a real metal detector." It's made in the USA, comes with a lifetime warranty, and is $160 new. The Garrett Ace 250 and Fisher F2 are common beginner choices, but the Compadre has the edge in most areas. People who buy Tesoro Compadres usually don't sell them. If they're buying another detector, they will usually keep both.

OP
OP
freightdawg747

freightdawg747

Sep 29, 2008
Fort Mill, SC
Detector(s) used
F75, Minelab Excalibur 1000, Garrett Pro Pointer
Thanks for the advice......went with the ACE 250 after reading the replies. Came down to the Tesoro and ACE .....the deciding factor was that there is a Garrett dealer about 10 mins from the house.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions