Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Carl in CO

The value of pop can tabs

With all the pop can tabs I'm picking up, it got me curious as to their value. I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh ounces. Is there somebody in here with a small scale bored enough to figure out how many tabs it takes to make a pound?

us
    finder of the gold coin

Jan 2005
    LOU-EVIL KY
    white's DFX
    1 times

Re: The value of pop can tabs

carl in co,a digital scale is about $35.00 you need one!!!!

Jan 2005
    3 times

They are collected at our club for the people who have dialysis. So to some they are very valuable.

us
    finder of the gold coin

Jan 2005
    LOU-EVIL KY
    white's DFX
    1 times

i agree with pete,save em' they are useful to a lot of folk's!!!

histoplasmosis

Last time I checked aluminum was like 29 cents a pound.

us
    URBAN DISCOVERY !

Nov 2004
    NC
    WHITES DFX, TESORO
    13 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Well here's a new twist to this age old delima...
    While I can't argue with the fact that I dig pulltabs just like everyone else, I have to say that around here
    most of the people who hunt around here must follow that golden rule about picking up everything as they hunt,
    because 10 years ago, I might dig a lot of pulltabs, but in this day and age, when I'm on a football field, they seem to be
    pretty clean, except for the occasional square tabs that were droped recently.
    So unless I find a spot with lots of coin targets and its easy digging, I don't seem to be finding pulltabs here in NC & SC
    in any sufficiant quantity to make any really big difference anywhere.

If I go to a park and don't find many high coin signals, then I will not stay around to dig the low pulltab targets on the off
    chance that 1 of those diggs out of 100-200 might be a nickel or ring....

Also has anyone elso noticed that new square tabs come up reading right at the nickel level where as 10 years ago
    they were much higher on the scale. and easier to justify not digging ?
    Just wondering.
    Richard
    URBAN DISCOVERY !
    DISCOVERING, RECOVERING, PRESERVING AMERICAN AND WORLD TREASURES ONE PIECE AT A TIME

Charter Member
    um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2342 times

Quote Originally Posted by The Pete
    They are collected at our club for the people who have dialysis. So to some they are very valuable.
    Donate them and thier worth a lot more than scrap.Here in Fl.,the schools collect them for comparable reasons as The Pete has mentioned.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

Oct 2004

same here in mt. the schools collect them for the Ronald McDonad house. i save mine for my grandaughter to take to school. Her teacher got a big kick out of seeing a bunch of
    "old style" pull tabs hhmajik

Jan 2005
    MATTHEWS NC

Quote Originally Posted by Carl in CO
    With all the pop can tabs I'm picking up, it got me curious as to their value.? I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh ounces.? Is there somebody in here with a small scale bored enough to figure out how many tabs it takes to make a pound?? :D
    I dont know how many tabs it takes to make a pound, but I read some where that it takes 1200 tabs to fill a gallon.
    Big Al

ol ploock

yep, they are helpful.....We donate ours to St. Judes Childrens' Hospital.

We have 5 gallons awaiting pickup!

Roy

us
    URBAN DISCOVERY !

Nov 2004
    NC
    WHITES DFX, TESORO
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by BIG_AL
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl in CO
    With all the pop can tabs I'm picking up, it got me curious as to their value.? I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh ounces.? Is there somebody in here with a small scale bored enough to figure out how many tabs it takes to make a pound??
    I dont know how many tabs it takes to make a pound, but I read some where that it takes 1200 tabs to fill a gallon.
    ? ? ? ? ? ?Big Al
    sounds about right to me BIG-AL how many of those gallons of tabs do you have ?
    URBAN DISCOVERY !
    DISCOVERING, RECOVERING, PRESERVING AMERICAN AND WORLD TREASURES ONE PIECE AT A TIME

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    37 times

Have a collection going to Easter Seals here. But St. Judes, Ronald McDonald House and a few others are all worthy recipients of these annoying little bugs. Yep, Torrerro, they are mutating into new and wider target categories. Especially with all those new "power drinks" and other specialty drinks that come in cans. I still think Pepsi drinkers are the worst, find more of them screw caps than anything else in the soft drink market.

us
    monty

Jan 2005
    Sand Springs, OK
    ACE 250, Garrett
    75 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Around my area they haven't used pull tabs that come off the can for about 10 years but everytime I go out I find a dozen or so. I have noticed I am finding whole aluminum cans squashed flat. They show up as rings on my unit! I have taken to using a probe before I even start to dig. When you hit an aluminum can it is fairly easy to identify without digging it up. I have noticed that junk comes in layers, squished cans, round pull tabs and deeper are square pull tabs,then steel beer cans, almost like a time line. You wonder how thee heck they all got there. But I have been elk hunting in the wilds of Colorado and just when you think no white man has been there before you, you find an empty beer can! It makes you wonder if there really are guys or gals that are so desperate for a cold beer that they would carry a can of beer so far into the woods? I can't figure it out! JIM
    Don't make me loose the hounds! If you dig, Cover up your holes.

us
    Jul 2003
    Elgin
    Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
    37 times

The ubiquitous beer can and it's cousin, the soft drink can.? They hide treasure from all who will not dig them.? They were laid down over the years by founders of today's anti-metal detecting community as a disparaging barrier to the nice old coins beneath them.? I say dig 'em, dig 'em all and let the recycling bin sort 'em out.?

us
    URBAN DISCOVERY !

Nov 2004
    NC
    WHITES DFX, TESORO
    13 times

Quote Originally Posted by Lowbatts
    Have a collection going to Easter Seals here.? But St. Judes, Ronald McDonald House and a few others are all worthy recipients of these annoying little bugs.? Yep, Torrerro, they are mutating into new and wider target categories.? Especially with all those new "power drinks" and other specialty drinks that come in cans.? I still think Pepsi drinkers are the worst, find more of them screw caps than anything else in the soft drink market.
    I hate to burst in on you like this but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe softdrink companies went to plastic
    drink bottle screw caps back in the 80's some time.
    I rarely find screw caps from soda bottles anymore and when I do I feel like Ive gone back in time to one of those 70's era picnics with my mother..... and when I do I hope
    for some older coins or things.... not that it happens of course..
    URBAN DISCOVERY !

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors