The value of pop can tabs

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
They are collected at our club for the people who have dialysis. So to some they are very valuable.

H

histoplasmosis

Last time I checked aluminum was like 29 cents a pound.

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here's a new twist to this age old delima...
While I can't argue with the fact that I dig pulltabs just like everyone else, I have to say that around here
most of the people who hunt around here must follow that golden rule about picking up everything as they hunt,
because 10 years ago, I might dig a lot of pulltabs, but in this day and age, when I'm on a football field, they seem to be
pretty clean, except for the occasional square tabs that were droped recently.
So unless I find a spot with lots of coin targets and its easy digging, I don't seem to be finding pulltabs here in NC & SC
in any sufficiant quantity to make any really big difference anywhere.

If I go to a park and don't find many high coin signals, then I will not stay around to dig the low pulltab targets on the off
chance that 1 of those diggs out of 100-200 might be a nickel or ring....

Also has anyone elso noticed that new square tabs come up reading right at the nickel level where as 10 years ago
they were much higher on the scale. and easier to justify not digging ?
Just wondering.
Richard

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pete said:
They are collected at our club for the people who have dialysis. So to some they are very valuable.
Donate them and thier worth a lot more than scrap.Here in Fl.,the schools collect them for comparable reasons as The Pete has mentioned.

majik

Oct 4, 2004
same here in mt. the schools collect them for the Ronald McDonad house. i save mine for my grandaughter to take to school. Her teacher got a big kick out of seeing a bunch of
"old style" pull tabs hhmajik

BIG_AL

Jan 14, 2005
MATTHEWS NC
Carl in CO said:
With all the pop can tabs I'm picking up, it got me curious as to their value.? I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh ounces.? Is there somebody in here with a small scale bored enough to figure out how many tabs it takes to make a pound?? :D

I dont know how many tabs it takes to make a pound, but I read some where that it takes 1200 tabs to fill a gallon.
Big Al

O

ol ploock

yep, they are helpful.....We donate ours to St. Judes Childrens' Hospital.

We have 5 gallons awaiting pickup!

Roy

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG_AL said:
Carl in CO said:
With all the pop can tabs I'm picking up, it got me curious as to their value.? I don't have a scale accurate enough to weigh ounces.? Is there somebody in here with a small scale bored enough to figure out how many tabs it takes to make a pound?? :D

I dont know how many tabs it takes to make a pound, but I read some where that it takes 1200 tabs to fill a gallon.
? ? ? ? ? ?Big Al

sounds about right to me BIG-AL how many of those gallons of tabs do you have ?

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Have a collection going to Easter Seals here. But St. Judes, Ronald McDonald House and a few others are all worthy recipients of these annoying little bugs. Yep, Torrerro, they are mutating into new and wider target categories. Especially with all those new "power drinks" and other specialty drinks that come in cans. I still think Pepsi drinkers are the worst, find more of them screw caps than anything else in the soft drink market.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around my area they haven't used pull tabs that come off the can for about 10 years but everytime I go out I find a dozen or so. I have noticed I am finding whole aluminum cans squashed flat. They show up as rings on my unit! I have taken to using a probe before I even start to dig. When you hit an aluminum can it is fairly easy to identify without digging it up. I have noticed that junk comes in layers, squished cans, round pull tabs and deeper are square pull tabs,then steel beer cans, almost like a time line. You wonder how thee heck they all got there. But I have been elk hunting in the wilds of Colorado and just when you think no white man has been there before you, you find an empty beer can! It makes you wonder if there really are guys or gals that are so desperate for a cold beer that they would carry a can of beer so far into the woods? I can't figure it out! ??? JIM

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
The ubiquitous beer can and it's cousin, the soft drink can.? They hide treasure from all who will not dig them.? They were laid down over the years by founders of today's anti-metal detecting community as a disparaging barrier to the nice old coins beneath them.? I say dig 'em, dig 'em all and let the recycling bin sort 'em out.?

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
Have a collection going to Easter Seals here.? But St. Judes, Ronald McDonald House and a few others are all worthy recipients of these annoying little bugs.? Yep, Torrerro, they are mutating into new and wider target categories.? Especially with all those new "power drinks" and other specialty drinks that come in cans.? I still think Pepsi drinkers are the worst, find more of them screw caps than anything else in the soft drink market.

I hate to burst in on you like this but correct me if I'm wrong, I believe softdrink companies went to plastic
drink bottle screw caps back in the 80's some time.
I rarely find screw caps from soda bottles anymore and when I do I feel like Ive gone back in time to one of those 70's era picnics with my mother..... and when I do I hope
for some older coins or things.... not that it happens of course..

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
You didn't burst my bubble Torrerro. The Pepsi Generation is the one of the biggest contributors to MD trash and I still find plenty of them. You really have to start digging more of those signals your detector indicates Torrerro! They're really not all trash and perhaps you could up your number of finds, increase the qty. of silver finds and get a few pulltabs to donate to a worthy cause! Now go have fun.

And seriously, you can still get soft drink BOTTLES with metal screw caps. You can also get alcoholic beverages with metal screw caps. And the huge variety of specialty drinks really have spread the range of target indicators wider than it was in the past both in metal caps and tabs. Please try a little understanding, the rest of the country hasn't progressed to the level of your locale.

TORRERO

Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowbatts said:
You didn't burst my bubble Torrerro. The Pepsi Generation is the one of the biggest contributors to MD trash and I still find plenty of them.? You really have to start digging more of those signals your detector indicates Torrerro!? ?They're really not all trash and perhaps you could up your number of finds, increase the qty. of silver finds and get a few pulltabs to donate to a worthy cause!? Now go have fun.?

And seriously, you can still get soft drink BOTTLES with metal screw caps.? You can also get alcoholic beverages with metal screw caps.? And the huge variety of specialty drinks really have spread the range of target indicators wider than it was in the past both in metal caps and tabs.? Please try a little understanding, the rest of the country hasn't progressed to the level of your locale.

Maybe I'm mistaken, Your right about the booze bottles, they still have metal caps, but truth be known I have
not seen in North or South Carolina in maybe 10 years, the metal screwcaps from soft drink bottles ...

where do you live ?

and even though I appreciate the encouragement, I find that the old style pulltabs are really harder to find
around here as well... the square ones are from new soda cans, and people still break then off,

but as this hobby progresses
I find that some of the trash that was real common 10-15 years ago, is not so common now.
Many treasure hunters have been tought to pick up everything as they go, and amazing as it sounds
many, many of the schools and parks I've been to in the last 2-3 years produce very little of anything at all
including trash, even when I have my machine set to dig all good sounding targets.
maybe I'm in the wrong state......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They have them on the GLASS soda bottles here in PA

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey Rich, I'm up here in Chicagoland, where there is a LARGE market for all kinds of drinks in all kinds of containers. Last spring I canoed by a spot on the river that I hadn't been to for a couple years. Had it cleaned up completely There were literally thousands of cans/bottles and caps of all kinds there. Huge trash pile for this springs project.

Our sports complexes and playgrounds have a constantly renewed supply of tabs, screw caps and yep, even coinage and jewelry. Some far more than others. Especially those poorer neighborhoods. In fact I observe a very direct correlation between the economic level of a neighborhood and the likelyhood of finding jewelry, coins or both. I'm guessin' you wouldn't believe we eat moon pies w/o RC cola around here and drink RC cola w/o moon pies either but hey, we gots variety!

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, what's the story on donating pull tabs? I have seen it mentioned numerous times but I am not aware of who wants them and why? Enlighten this old Okie if you don't mind.JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread