Finding Silvers????

markincypress

Apr 6, 2012
cypress texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab CTX3030, Tesoro Tejon and Sand Shark, Fisher F75-ltd, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rather than hunt parks, schools and sites that have been pounded by other detectors, I seek out places where NO detector has been before. I mostly hunt neighborhoods and areas that were developed and built between 1910 and 1950. Sure I do not find really old stuff, well on occasion I do, but silver coins are what I seek. If you find an area where older homes are being demolished get permission from the demolition crew, property owner or developer to hunt the site. My hunting partner and I have done this successfully for the past 6 month and I know the two of us have pulled over 250 silver coins combined (I have around 130 myself).

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Old silver currency, as above indicated, is more in the relic category than the coin-jewelry category. Any coins you'll find in places frequented by the modern public will almost always be clad. Perhaps some old parks and such may be exceptions, but, generally, clad is a lot more common than silver and often closer to the surface. Old-enough, abandoned buildings and their surroundings (keep your wits about you) should hold at least some silver (sometimes in the form of spoons!).

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think that homesites were the only place left to find silver, however I can no longer recommend that. In looking at my last few years of detecting I can say without hesitation that those "tired old sites" have given up the majority of my silver. That includes those schools, universities, and parks; the same places that have been hunted to death over the years.

You have to KNOW your detector and KNOW how to hunt and most of all, have patience. House yards, and old homesites are still great places to hunt, but most of them are NOT the "silver mines" we we hope they should be.

In order to find old coins you have to go to places that are both old and have seen LARGE amounts of human activity during those pre-clad years.

reednc

May 23, 2012
Columbus, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best luck has been hunting curb strips between the sidewalk and the street (in older parts of town of course).

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The easiest place to find silver is a coin store! :laughing7: Seriously, find the easy clad and go buy what you want in the condition you want. I know, it's more fun to dig it up after it's been lost for decades or centuries. I've had the most success at old parks with old schools second, parking strips third and home sites fourth. Naturally, if you find a virgin place like a old fairground site or after a storm at the beach, you can find a bunch of silver in a short period of time but places where people have congregated over many years is the best.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread