what coil is good on ACE350 for under metal bleachers and tight spots?

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your only choice would be the sniper coil 4" concentric i believe.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a certain college bleachers on a campus in CA, where the metal slat seating is set right on the earthen bowl shape. So the slat seating is a mere foot above the hard-pan ground. Impossible to use any coil, since, of course, the coil reads *above* the coil, as well as below (and would thus simply pick up the metal above the coil, no matter how small the coil is). So I've found that the sun-ray probe works! :) Sure it's only sensitive to 2 or 3" deep, and sure your coverage per swath is miniscule, but it worked :) It would be akin to have a 1" wide coil.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned the 4" concentric coil is a good choice.

Keep in mind when "working it around" in tight quarters that the detection field area ABOVE the coil is almost what it is UNDER the coil, so you will get false signals if the area immediately above the coil is close to metal rails, fences or supports.

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the quick replies. That is my problem exactly with the metal risers, framework, and seating slats directly above the coil. I have used the pro pointer a bit but that's a tough process and the depth just isnt there unless the targets are laying just under a layer of sunflower seed shells. I may look into the 4".

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the 4.5 in. Sniper, and the 8.5x11 DD.for my 350 The Sniper is great along fences, around play ground equipment, under benches, etc. It lets you get a lot closer to stuff, without false signaling. You still get pretty good depth with it. I like it.

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So there's a loss of depth with it though?

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there's a loss of depth with it though?

Yeah, with a smaller coil, you getter better trash seperation, but overall loss of depth.
Not a LOT, but you do. If you are looking for coin sized objects.

I HAVE heard that you will get a little BETTER depth on smaller than coin sized objects with a smaller coil, but i just look for coins and relics, so i can't speak to that.

To sum it up, in my experience, yes you lose a bit of depth, but no more than an inch or two, you have to decide between the lesser of two evils.

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think there is a little, but never really did a bench test. Garrett has videos using the different coils.

OP
OP
Tucson Dan

Tucson Dan

Jan 30, 2013
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm a coin guy too (and anything interesting too). I think that would be a good investment in the near future.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a coin guy too (and anything interesting too). I think that would be a good investment in the near future.

I'm looking at experimenting with different homemade top covers for my MXT and DFX 5.3" concentric coil for just this purpose. (to kill the output ABOVE the coil or at least deaden it compared to below it so you can get closer to metal and work the coil around fences)
Should be pretty tough due to the physics of the problem and may not work at all..
We'll see.

I have to wait about a month before the ground thaws here to try them out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread