Disaster at Padre Island

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
I am back from a terrible experience at Padre Island this week.... Got my detectors(2) confiscated for passing into a wildlife area along with a fine. I have to go to court to get my belongings back next month after my attorney reviews this. Cant say much more only that be very observant of markers on land AND THE ONES YOU DONT SEE BY THE WATER and you might be okay. I think I will stick to relics and panning than the pirates treasures... They truley are cursed as they say AAARRRGGG!!! Will give an update when permitted to... Good luck and God bless

Unhappy Hitman

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
Attorney says it looks good since I can say I was also cleaning up the area I was in. Not only did they take what I had found(cant say at this time) but the bag of trash I picked up also. So he is hopeing a little community service will take care of this all, but I definatley will make dang sure the next time. Never had this problem before, always have taken very much care in doing this not to mess up and always clean up as if I was never there, but the govt is a different entity and it is all about the dollar

Still Unhappy Hitman

S

seismo

Wow. Seems like they would've just told you to beat it.
You must've really found some good stuff!

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
The difference between public service and the mindset of some in government that "public serves us" was long ago crossed. I just won't hunt on any fed property where there is a question or near it. But that don't mean I agree with broad and general bad law. I sure hope they don't hit you too hard. Good luck and let us know good news or bad.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Hope things work out. Least they didn't take your vehicle too. Had run-in while back w Corp. of Engineers showed one the trash in my pouch then he saw 10k class ring. Wanted me to turn it over to him-said no-would find the owner myself. Got the shock of my life when he let me keep it-just jotted down my address and car tag, then he left. By the way, I did find the owner-she lost it 3 wk. after saving couple years. Her folks told her that she would have to pay the difference between cheaper ring and gold. End of story-she's happy, I'm happy. Father forced 20$ for more batteries. Good luck & HH! :D ;D

lobsterman

Jan 8, 2005
Maine
Hey Hitman, i'd fight it tooth and nail. it should be similar to hunting regs. unless it is posted every 50 yards or so you are not guilty, as you could unknowingly enter an area that is posted without seeing the signs.

P.S. ignorance of the law is an excuse when no one person could concievebly learn all of the laws in their lifetime.

over~regulation is ruining every aspect of the american way of life.

i love my country but i fear my government !!!

Pat.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Who needs to fear terrorists? After all, we have stupid regulations & greenies out to save us all from ourselves. Best of luck. Don't take it sitting down. You are in the right & even thougth life here is tough, I still beleive in TRUTH, JUSTICE & THE AMERICAN WAY. ( Even though it can often be misguided by uknowing minds. ) Spotz

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Public Service in the same way that you get your mare serviced or your cow serviced. exanimo, ss

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
Hitman, I'm sincerely sorry about your bad experience. I know you even went as far as posting questions about the area you were going to, trying to find out if there were any off limits beaches.
I guess when I was there I got sun-burnt before I reached that area of beach. Man, I really feel bad. I wish I had known to warn you against the property.
Good luck, let us know if there's any way we can possibly help you out.
xXx

OP
OP
H

Hitman

Dec 29, 2004
Thanks all, things will work out, it has been a lessoned learned and I am usually very observant of the laws it just not all is visable to the naked eye and you sometimes just dont notice what you are doing. I take full responsability for MY actions but it was like when they started giving tickets to people in my city for their liscense plates haveing the word TEXAS covered up by a plate frame, hell they made thousands off people by passing this law without notice to the public. The signs are not clear as to where you are, so from now on believe me when I tell you this....Stop, Look and Listen as we were taught as kids and you'll be okay. I appreciate all the comments, did not want to draw so much attention just wanted to let everyone know to check all the laws where you are before you go on anyones property...

Hitman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread