revolutionary war button/cuff link?

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
How do you tell if this is real or a copy? There were several Revolutionary Battles fought here near Charlotte. Almost everyone I have seen described on the internet is listed as brass. This one appears Silver. The back has some sort of stud, and the outer part is held on by what looks to be bent tabs on the reverse. It was pretty deep, about 8 1/2 inches. First rang in as a pull tab, but after I started getting closer, it started moving to the "dime" ID on my ACE 250.

It is almost 5/8 of an inch in diameter, (not quite, more like .62 inches) and weighs 1.3 grams, or .05 oz, or `1.0 dwt

Hum..... whatcha think, is it real? or is it memorex?

Attachments

• button 1.jpg
    button 1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 170
  • button 2.jpg
    button 2.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 184
Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, Joe, but that's a very familiar modern (post-1950) "blazer" button. The Latin motto means something like "God is our hope" or "Our hope is in God."

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Hey, I saw alot of these were more modern "reporduction" buttons used on blazers. But the originals were Hussain. The only difference is, ALL of the ones I have seen listed as "reproduction" or modern are brass. This does not appears to be brass, but I do not know anything about clothing construction to tell from the back if it is 1700's, 1800's or 1900's

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I've read the Hessian attribution, too, but must admit to being highly skeptical about it.

As for "blazer" buttons, construction is typically thin, die-stamped copper or brass (often) gilt, with a tinned iron or steel back. (The backs are usually badly rusted or missing on dug examples.)

OP
OP
nc-joe

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
Thanks PBK. Since there is so much corrosion on the back I would guess it is modern, too.

I think you put this one to rest!

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Okay, Joe... but I'll bet it won't be long before the real deal comes along! Lookin' forward to it!

All the best,
PBK

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions