Stone walls

aWaredetector

Feb 25, 2013
massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Drive down any back road here in Massachusetts and you'll see stone walls. These walls sometimes go for hundreds of yards and sometime for miles. You'll find them miles in the woods, far from any dwelling. I have to imagine these would be great places to hunt with permission given. The time alone it took to erect these walls let alone the manpower.
Anyone ever hunt along stone walls? Any luck ?

Thanks
aWAREdetector

Upvote 0

mjarvis

Jan 4, 2013
Gold river
Detector(s) used
Bounty hunter. Whites MXT, whites pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Best way to find out is just go do it!! Check the maps to see if they run on open land but I have heard of people hiding things in the walls!! Good luck just need to look in the right places!!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have pulled caches from stone walls. Try this, pick up a used 2 Box unit from the classified posts or on E Bay for a bit over $200. They can go about 6' down or to the side. They don't pick up junk like nails,pulltabes, aluminum foil, etc. Just walk down the stone fence and pull out the caches. Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, as far as what frankn says, a "cache" can be anywhere. And before thinking you can go out to stone walls and dig caches left and right .... just be aware, ...... most guys go their entire md'ing career and are lucky to find one, or two if they're good. Yes if all you ever used was a 2-box machine, and hunted around enough likely looking ruins (or stone walls, etc..) long enough, you'll find more than the guy who only hunts with a standard coin/relic machine. The reason for this is, as franks says, they don't find anything smaller than about a fist-sized object. Thus you'll only find soda can sized objects and bigger. Still though, I bet you'd have a lot of lonely days, if you started wandering up and down stone walls for that singular objective. You'd get a few cans now and then, a hubcap, etc... But now, I don't think stone walls have any more potential for having been cache hiding spots, than any other spot.

Stone walls were just a form of fencing. Sure they're older, and sure they took longer to erect than wooden/wire fences. But I think your time is much better served to find the places where people congregated, lived, ate, slept, camped, played, etc.... So find the sites where houses, camps, stage stops, etc.... were, is going to be where more fumble fingers targets are (or caches too, for that matter).

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
For an odd coin the time involved in building walls means a chance of a drop.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, as far as what frankn says, a "cache" can be anywhere. And before thinking you can go out to stone walls and dig caches left and right .... just be aware, ...... most guys go their entire md'ing career and are lucky to find one, or two if they're good. Yes if all you ever used was a 2-box machine, and hunted around enough likely looking ruins (or stone walls, etc..) long enough, you'll find more than the guy who only hunts with a standard coin/relic machine. The reason for this is, as franks says, they don't find anything smaller than about a fist-sized object. Thus you'll only find soda can sized objects and bigger. Still though, I bet you'd have a lot of lonely days, if you started wandering up and down stone walls for that singular objective. You'd get a few cans now and then, a hubcap, etc... But now, I don't think stone walls have any more potential for having been cache hiding spots, than any other spot.

Stone walls were just a form of fencing. Sure they're older, and sure they took longer to erect than wooden/wire fences. But I think your time is much better served to find the places where people congregated, lived, ate, slept, camped, played, etc.... So find the sites where houses, camps, stage stops, etc.... were, is going to be where more fumble fingers targets are (or caches too, for that matter).

Well Tom, good post and good info. I must admit that I have found only one cache in a stone 'wall' which was actually an old foundation of a castle, and I was actually looking in the ground about 3' out from the foundation when I stumbled on the strange signal. It was just an Idea to try for someone with access to a lot of stone walls. Frank...

rose on ice 700 this one.jpg

golden ray

Jan 30, 2013
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
& Lobo
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beware of snakes and brown recluces spiders lurking in & around stone walls.
Here in the southwest its rattlers & scorps. Good luck.

cassa

Mar 20, 2013
Hi I have tried near some stone walls but no success, but did not do it too much. Where are you in mass? I am near will brahma. Been doing this for a few years now and looking for more people with the same interests.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most stone walls from my humble experience were from days long ago when they farmed. They would roll the rocks down from the area they farmed and form a wall to either stop erosion or form a boundary between neighbors. One mountain I hunt is terraced all the way down from terrace farming. Not much around the walls but old homesites are near. Another place is all civil war walls for miles. They built them all along a ridge and only had a battle there for a day because it was so heavily fortified the enemy passed around it. Each wall is there for a reason and the trick is to know why that wall is there. It may not look like farm land now with the old trees but it once was cleared and planted.Every 60 years the trees are ready to be timbered so keep that in mind when looking at areas.

OP
OP
aWaredetector

aWaredetector

Feb 25, 2013
massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster GT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi I have tried near some stone walls but no success, but did not do it too much. Where are you in mass? I am near will brahma. Been doing this for a few years now and looking for more people with the same interests.

Palmer/Ware area

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread