Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Legal is always best. At least you know you won't be chased off the land.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
B,
your legal now.

Think we all will be seeing more areas using a
permit system.

have a good un.................
SHERMANVILLE

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never heard of a metal detecting permit before? Must be something new, before too long, I predict that all metal detector hobbists will be required to purchase a license. Some places are really tightening the noose regarding the use of metal detectors.

Anyways, congrats on the permit.... ;D

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Here in New York City, you can only hunt in the city parks with a permit. It's available free of charge by the Parks Department. They require to you report any "Significant Finds" at the end of the year in order to renew it. ;D A permit system here is not bad. No one can really say sh&t to you and the parks are all yours, within the reasonable limitations/rules.

Dharmacy

Nov 1, 2006
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Varies with location and conditions.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Piedmont park in the heart of downtown Atlanta and the site of the Cotton States Expo in 1895, have used the permit system for many years. You have to have a permit to detect in the park and they only issue a set amount each year.

D.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
You know a free permit for detecting parks is not a bad idea. Then the rangers could emphasize to everyone the importance of filling holes and not leaving trash lying next a hole. A good system could educate the ignorant/careless people and open up more parks to us to detect. I for one wouldn't mind getting a permit and assuring folks that I will leave the land just as I found it (minus finds of course).

WV Hillbilly

Dec 8, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TIME RANGER CZ3D ACE 250
I'll bet that one of these days we'll all have to pay for a permit to detect anywhere . Just like a hunting license . New permit every year . Got to keep our wonderful government a-float don't you know . Can't believe they've missed us this long . I'm gonna shut up , I'm starting to get mad . >:( >:( >:( HH

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We need permits for the state parks in New York. Cost is $10.00 a year and covers all the parks within 1 zone. I think that there are 10 parks in the zone I have. I don't think I would be against a license for one reason. Some of the beaches I hunt, after some others have hunted there before, look as tho they might have been impact ranges for artillery. Maybe with a license to lose the trench diggers might think before they leave the place a mess. Also, would that give us more places to get down and dirty?

mahi-muncher

Jan 21, 2007
Middle of Michigan
This is what happened to my wife and I the summer before last, we were approached by a guy that I know to try and find an engagement ring that was lost at the northern state park on Higgins lake in Michigan, this is suppose to be closed to detecting because of an Indian burial ground, so we contacted a big wig(Director) in the DNR office for the area and asked her if we could detect in the park (in the water)just to find the ring only, and would turn in everything we found, even the ring we were looking for so the owners could claim it, she told us it wouldn't be a problem and sent us a letter stating we had her approval, she also told us she would let the people at the park know what was happening so that they could have a "baby sitter" ready to watch us and collect our finds, well we arrived to find 3 not so happy DNR men, they were already complaining to us that they shouldn't have to waste there time helping us, but they sent the "new hire" with us, I went out into the lake in the area that my friend thought the ring was lost and started detecting, after about 15 minutes I looked up and noticed all 3 of the DNR losers were hassling my wife, standing around her moving there arms everywhere like they were yelling at her, so I made my way up there and they were harassing her enough to bring her to tears, so after I moved between her and them they started backing off,I guess they just like harassing women, anyway after letting them know I wouldn't stand for that kind of treatment towards my wife I told them I would be contacting their boss which shut them up totally, we called their boss the very next day and every day after that without any contact with her other then her voice mail, she never returned our call either, so what I am getting at is even though you have a permit or letter they still will someway or another get you out of there, I hope I am wrong and I just had some jerks that day, but one more thing, there was a couple that was listening to this mess that day that said if we needed them for witnesses they would be more then happy to help us, they also said they go there allot and noticed some park rangers metal detecting there, and never realized it wasn't allowed, now you know why the park rangers wanted us out. >:(

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
mahi-muncher said:
they also said they go there allot and noticed some park rangers metal detecting there, and never realized it wasn't allowed, now you know why the park rangers wanted us out. >:(

Says volumes!!!

Have fun,
Salvager

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"noticed some park rangers metal detecting there, and never realized it wasn't allowed, now you know why the park rangers wanted us out."

Send a certified, return receipt requested letter to the director.  Make sure you cc Everyone up to and including the governor.  When the director sees all the cc's, and knows that by anyone signing for the letter, she is about to be fried, things will start to happen.  Bureaucrats only understand the squeaky wheel syndrome.  Make some noise.  Get an official apology, in writing, for your wife and get the cretins who treated her with such disrespect a chance for a career change.

mahi-muncher

Jan 21, 2007
Middle of Michigan
ThTx said:
"noticed some park rangers metal detecting there, and never realized it wasn't allowed, now you know why the park rangers wanted us out."

Send a certified, return receipt requested letter to the director. Make sure you cc Everyone up to and including the governor. When the director sees all the cc's, and knows that by anyone signing for the letter, she is about to be fried, things will start to happen. Bureaucrats only understand the squeaky wheel syndrome. Make some noise. Get an official apology, in writing, for your wife and get the cretins who treated her with such disrespect a chance for a career change.

Ever since I wrote this last night I have been re-irritated from what had happened and my wife said she will dig up all the information and we will as tastefully as possible pursue this, Thanks for the advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread