How long after starting mding did it you to find your 1st silver coin?

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom, I was using a Metrotec. They where basically converted gas & water line locators. Worked pretty well for their day. As for that first find it was right on the surface, an inch at most. I had just got the machine. Took it to the backyard. Tuned it. First sweep "BEEEP" there it was. Dont recall depths from back then. I do remember going quit deep for a silver dollar in some sandy soil, maybe 7". But everywhere I went back then was pretty much virgin ground.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread and responses! In the early 70's I was making my detector's from plans in electronics magazines. Mostly found junk metal. Then I "borrowed" a White's 6000D for a few weekends and right off started finding coins, pennies mostly. Then my first silver quarter, not old but silver. Then a silver dime, rosie. Then my first gold ring and I was HOOKED! Once I had the 6000D it took only minutes to find pennies and a few days till the first silver. I hunted yards and torn up sidewalks.............63bkpkr

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
It took me almost 2 years to find my first silver, a 1943-P War Nickel at a very old park. I was using my Ace 250, which had found dozens of pieces of sterling and gold jewelry before my coil made it over a silver coin. I had been detecting parks that had been pounded over the years and probably had very few silver coins left. Once I started detecting yards and fields, the silver started jumping out of the ground;)

HogGrin

Mar 20, 2013
Suffolk Co. Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found my first silver (a 1927 Merc) the first day I used my BH Discovery 2200 at the local beach. A few weekends later a gold wedding ring and a different beach. Caught the fever after that. Check out my profile for my running totals so far.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jayg

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
sweet finds, thx for the responses. good luck every one and hh

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:occasion14:Found my first silver today.....just barely under 2 months. What made it really nice was it was the first dig of the day. My last dig of the day was a first as well. A 3 ringer bullet!

OP
OP
jayg

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
sweet! I've found four of them. Got to love it when you pull silver out of a hole

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm another that found their first silver coin the first time out. Of course, that was almost 43 years ago so it wasn't all that hard then!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread