Staying interested.

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been detecting for a number of years now and slumps are slumps. No matter who you are or where you hunt, you WILL have those times when there is nothing. What is most frustrating is when you have done the research, got permission and finally hunt the place and all you find it junk. You just have to remember that this hobby is all about hobby. What I do when I feel like I'm getting skunked is I head to the Totlots, that's usually quick gratification and I can actually hear my machine beep once in a while!

Hang in there, the treasure is coming!

HH
PTP

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try hunting in the desert. I find a few bullet shells and Im happy. I have been doing well at the park lately, but it didnt happen over nite. I started hunting in the tot lots, in the wood chips. I never see anyone on there hunting and it paid off. I still hunt the park like all the others I see. But I do well in the wood chips. Try hunting in a area you would not normally hunt, you may be surprised. I also watch other folks hunt and see how they do it. I was really impressed with a guy who calls himself the Major. He didnt even have a digger, he used a wood chisel for popping targets out. I also have been finding good stuff on the side of small hills. Hope this helps. Cant give all my secrets away. Good Luck.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, come on now. I bet if you just went up, knocked on the door with a big smile and told them your hobby is metal detecting and you like digging up interesting items in your spare time they would gladly let you detect their yard! I can almost guarantee it.

Holly I half to agree with Thrill and say this respectfully if you knocked on my door and ask to dig holes in my yard I'd let you stay as long as you like social anxiety or not. You girl need to detect that home, put the charm on and getter done.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What do you guys do when you have had a few bad days detecting? Everything has been slow. Done some research found some places but came up with nothing. I have a hard time staying strong when it gets like this.

Getting on here and seeing people's finds is enough to keep me motivated. It's out there, you just have to keep looking.

OP
OP
bmelvin20

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One thing that does make it a lot better is that I always have someone to talk to on here

OP
OP
bmelvin20

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's nice to see all the exciting finds. Maybe some warmer weather will make things much better.

H

Holly_squirrel

hunter_46356 said:
Holly I half to agree with Thrill and say this respectfully if you knocked on my door and ask to dig holes in my yard I'd let you stay as long as you like social anxiety or not. You girl need to detect that home, put the charm on and getter done.

Thanks... However for my luck, I'd knock on the door of a raging pervert and end up with a stalker... Lol ... Maybe, I'd call the bank, I'm sure it's a guaranteed no... But at least I wouldn't have to face anyone. Plus I'm in live with the house... It's a mess, but I adore it... And spending time there would bum me out cause I'd feel like it should be mine.. Lol, idk it's just special

H

Holly_squirrel

bmelvin20 said:
That is an amazing home. I live old houses. No telling the treasures hidden in there.

image-4119179133.jpg

It looks like a differnt house from the two sides. And it's dirt cheap! But needs so much work restore it.

Attachments

• image-2966809875.jpg
    image-2966809875.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 134

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might try the neighbors and ask them what they know about it. People hate to see a house sit empty especially one as beautiful as that. If you look at the old Topographical maps they will show old roads and ancient home places. If you hunt Civil War you will need the Civil war atlas of maps.Ot search on line. Sometimes a small stream or creek or river has places to hunt or maybe an old swimming hole. Sometimes just getting some practice in with the machine is good so when you do hit that really good site you are confident with your equipment and will make that spectacular find. Try Farm fields as well and you may find arrowheads as you detect. Slumps are tough everyone has them. It has taken me 3 years to get access to this one site. I spent last Saturday with the land owner and we talked about metal detecting for maybe 3 minutes if that.The rest was about his interest. He pointed to one of his fields and said that it was a Union camp.I did not even have a metal detector with me yet. So maybe the slump is over? I got in to some bottle dumps and got some neat glass the other day after work. It is like once you get the shyness behind you one site can lead to the next.

We all started out new to the hobby and it takes awhile to make it look easy like some of these people. But the good hunters hit blanks also and go back and search for the next spot.You do not see those post. Many hunts I do not find much worth posting then Bam a good spot or signal and it all changes. I learned so much here watching the guys in the daily finds section. How they hunted what they used and so forth. I asked questions and they all helped. They help me go to another level in my hunts by inspiring me.:hello:
HH
TnMtns

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in the same boat Holly. I wanted to detect a area but was afraid to ask. I couldn't just go up and dig the place, I just wont do it without asking first. This went on for a month or so and I finally just got in my truck and drove into the middle of this golf course going up. Found a grounds keeper who directed me to the office. The guy in the office said the guy who owns doesn't live here and he is in charge, He told me to close all gates behind me and stay off the greens. What I found out later, was the ground I wanted was BLM land anyway, and multi use and required no permission. But I asked. It got a lot easier after that first time. I have so many old places and invites I dont know where to start next. If your gut is telling you to do it, then I would listen to it. If a bank owns it, it means it aint sold yet, and the original owner may still have a say about it. Or you could just watch for demo crews and detect after they tear it down. Good Luck.

CoinHunterAZ

Feb 18, 2013
Flagstaff, AZ
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sidewinder Umax, Garrett ATPro, Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get in a serious slump (no silver coins) and really feel the need to find stuff, I will go back to the sledding hills. There are many in my area, and they always produce something good. I find a lot of jewelry and coins there, some old...mostly not so much. Do you guys have sledding hills in your area? If so, ya better go have a look.

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If metal detecting was easy....there would be nothing left to find! When coin shooting sucks, I've been switching to all metal mode. Imho, some of my coolest finds are relics.

mikeinnepa

Greenie
Feb 3, 2013
Lakevillepa
Detector(s) used
F4/garret propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The problem in my part of pa is there a re people who pretend to be pp&l,gas employees, etc.., and gaining access to houses and then robbing them. Just got a letter in mail telling people to be aware of that .this happened to my st mother where they got her out of the house to point out here property lines the n someone slipped into the house.

OP
OP
bmelvin20

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well my slow streak was broken by a guy who gave me permission to hunt like 6 or 8 new places. Until my at pro was destroyed.

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really have trouble staying interested. I was completely addicted to that endorphin rush after my first big find. For me it is like a crackhead losing interest in crack, unthinkable!

OP
OP
bmelvin20

bmelvin20

Mar 11, 2013
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't really have trouble staying interested. I was completely addicted to that endorphin rush after my first big find. For me it is like a crackhead losing interest in crack, unthinkable!

What do u consider a big find

FreeMindStuck

Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any big or small silver from the 1800's or earlier. Relics that I can date and have an interesting story. Any thing gold. Rare tokens or date nails or anything I think is cool. Key date coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread