Swing Speed

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We hear this a lot. "Go slow", "Machine X has a fast swing speed", etc. So, for all us newbies, returning hunters, and anyone else looking for tips: Give us your best examples of "proper" swing speed. I know it will vary from machine to machine, ground conditions and the like. Maybe an idea of how long it takes you to cover say 10 feet on grass and dry/wet sand. :metaldetector:

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
rick, this is a very hard question to answer in printed text. I mean, it's one of those type of things a person really has to be "shown". You know, even for someone to say "xx number of feet in xx number of seconds, still doesn't take into account the momentary lapse at each end of the swing, the persons swath (I suppose a person's arm length means his strokes are longer?). And so forth. Same answer for things like "what does such & such target sound like on such & such machine?". Again, same answer: sounds can not be portrayed in printed text. They have to be heard.

One way you might get around this is to either a) hook up with a proficient user to see how they swing. Even the "wiggle" effect over targets, which ... again, can only be seen and heard to see/hear what a person is trying to "isolate" in their sweeps, b) sometimes on Youtube videos, you can see examples of people's swings, resultant audio, etc...

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best advise I have heard on this question was a statement made by another gentleman, "If I have time to hunt, then I aint in no hurry"

Toby1858

Mar 21, 2009
Springfield Mo.
Detector(s) used
Whites m6
If you've put in enough time with your machine, then you should know exactly at what speed it picks up best at. I mean if your searching for newer stuff like one to three inches deep then swing a little faster, but if your say relic hunting a two hundred year old site that may have stuff way down in the ground then slow it down and give your machine time to pick up the signal.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My fisher which is also made by the same folks who made your Bounty Hunter has a quick recovery time. My other detector, a Bounty Hunter will hit deeper with a lil faster swing. Now I dont dig deep most days. I go at a steady swing and cover as much ground as I can listening for good targets. I dont do wet sand, but in dry turf and sand, I just keep at a good pace, slower than walking and have at it. I also have to run the fisher at a low sensitivity or it will drive me nuts with too much signal. Good Luck.

TruePatriot

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2011
Minnesota
If you've put in enough time with your machine, then you should know exactly at what speed it picks up best at. I mean if your searching for newer stuff like one to three inches deep then swing a little faster, but if your say relic hunting a two hundred year old site that may have stuff way down in the ground then slow it down and give your machine time to pick up the signal.

Also depends on how much trash is in the ground and whether there is discrimination enabled. If you don't use discrimination and there is a lot of trash, going fast might make you think targets are junky when in fact there could be multiple targets close together, which one could be good. Going slow allows you to pick out good targets from trash.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides how fast you are swinging the coil, You must over lap your sweeps by near 50% or your going to miss stuff as the coils field is almost like a cone unless your using a DD coil.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends on your machines ability to "recover" and in how fast it does or doesn't complete this task

if your machine has slow recovering ability - you must swing slower in order for it to pick up on and recognize/analyze and report targets

moderate recovery speed = you can swing moderate

fast = you can swing fast

but generally - a slower/steady sweep will most always get you max separation of targets (not max depth though) --- some machines need a faster sweep to achieve max depth

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Proper swing speed depends on several factors. Firstly, we must note that forward spacing and swing speed are separate, though related, considerations. Experience with your detector will let you know how well it picks up a target at various speeds (I would suggest lots of air tests before you conclude that you know what the sounds mean). This will give you the proper swing speed.

To address swing spacing, please refer to my review of the MicroMax Silver (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/337325-tesoro-micromax-silver-technical-review.html). Note the shape of the field in the image. This shape was measured by testing detector response to a single object in various parts of the field (as shown by a 1 inch grid "underneath" the coil for alignment, swinging the object instead of the detector). Knowing this field shape, I started saying, "The first 5 inches are free." This means that my detection circle is 8 inches wide (the full width of the coil) for the first 5 inches of depth. At maximum depth my detection circle is only 2 inches wide. So, if I want to cover 100% of the ground within 5 inches of depth, I should space my swings a full 8 inches apart. If I want to cover 100% of the ground within 8 inches of depth, I should space my swings 2 inches apart. That last 3 inches of depth costs 6 inches of swing spacing. I would highly recommend that everyone create a chart like that for their own detector(s)!

BigChief14

Jan 22, 2008
Fort Smith Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic III SL
Proper swing speed depends on several factors. Firstly, we must note that forward spacing and swing speed are separate, though related, considerations. Experience with your detector will let you know how well it picks up a target at various speeds (I would suggest lots of air tests before you conclude that you know what the sounds mean). This will give you the proper swing speed.

To address swing spacing, please refer to my review of the MicroMax Silver (http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/337325-tesoro-micromax-silver-technical-review.html). Note the shape of the field in the image. This shape was measured by testing detector response to a single object in various parts of the field (as shown by a 1 inch grid "underneath" the coil for alignment, swinging the object instead of the detector). Knowing this field shape, I started saying, "The first 5 inches are free." This means that my detection circle is 8 inches wide (the full width of the coil) for the first 5 inches of depth. At maximum depth my detection circle is only 2 inches wide. So, if I want to cover 100% of the ground within 5 inches of depth, I should space my swings a full 8 inches apart. If I want to cover 100% of the ground within 8 inches of depth, I should space my swings 2 inches apart. That last 3 inches of depth costs 6 inches of swing spacing. I would highly recommend that everyone create a chart like that for their own detector(s)!

THIS is the type of info I come here for!

Awesome advice!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK , A lot of good prior info, but here is my experience. I use a Whites XLT and Surfmaster PI. They both work better with a fast swing. I have done some custom tuning on the XLT to make it reset faster. Now the PI is a different animal. I have noticed that it picks up better on the right to left swing. Don't ask me why but it does. In fact, on the beach, it would only pick up the fine gold chain shown below in the right to left swing. Here's what I would recommend. Place an object that is usually your desired find on the ground or in the sand and actually practice different swing speeds. As the old saying goes, You must become one with your detector. Hope this helps, Frank...

gold cross chain.jpg

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use a moderate speed with very wide left to right arcs, if I get a sound I always double check it to make sure I didn't go over a good signal too quick. Always double check your sound returns if they are even half consistent.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Instead of thinking "swing" speed, think "push" speed. That way you will slow down. If you are "swinging" so fast that you cannot keep the head down at the end of the swing... too fast. Also low to the ground. One inch. An occasional hit on the ground ok but don't drag it on the ground. TTC

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had some machines (especially the White's) that did much better finding deep coins by scrubbing the coil on the ground rather than a inch above.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread