Are silver coins usually deeper than clad?

River Rat82

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
Got permission to hunt a old school yard that they are about to tear down kids still go to the newer part next to the old site founds tons of clad coins but no silver school has been there since the 40s went with my dad and a friend we all just got into MD we don't have real good MD i have a coinmaster pro dad has a tek alpha 2000 and my friend has a tek delta 4000 so do you think they are to deep for ours or has some one done got them out a while ago was thinking with all that clad there had to be some silver well i was hoping :)

Upvote 0

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Too deep? It's hard to say because soil conditions matter. My first thought would be no, there might be some older coins there. Just put in some time and you'll be rewarded eventually. You'd be surprised as you can pull old coins at 4". You just never know.

Critical Recovery

Oct 31, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT pro, MXT and DFX, Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes.
Silver is generally pre 1964.

The older, the deeper..

Generally....

jayg

Mar 12, 2013
I would say yes . the silver I've found are 4 -5 deep . clads are usually 3 and less. but you never know. gd lk & hh

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As has already been said, it "all depends". I've seen people pull silver out of the ground at 1" and one foot to the side of that target was a clad quarter at 6". Unless you are willing to spend the money to buy a "deeper" machine then all you can really do is try and find out. Yes, you might miss some really deep targets. But there is no guarantee that you wouldn't miss them anyway with a deeper machine.

You have to swing your coil over the target in order to find it. Work slow and easy and listen closely for those faint signals. You may be surprised at what you find. Good luck.

OP
OP
River Rat82

River Rat82

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
Thx guys going to head back out there sat it snowed here last night so gonna skip today

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As mentioned, there are many variables that determine coin depth. Silver is not necessarily deeper than clad. but usually is if the ground is undisturbed. It has more to do with when the coin was lost, and the ground conditions at the time it was lost and in the subsequent years. If the area has been relandscaped or rototilled, coins of any year can be at any depth.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are silver coins usually deeper than clad?

If all other things are equal, then yes. An introduction to archaeology class (or maybe some YouTube videos) would help out here. In general, various things deposit on top of the ground and form new soil over time. So, older things are usually buried deeper. This deposition usually occurs as a yearly cycle because of wet and dry seasons. Stuff gets deposited in some times of the year and weathered away at others. In most places, there is more deposition than erosion, so the ground slowly builds up. In some places, there is more erosion, so the ground wears away and naturally exposes stuff that has been long buried.

To further complicate matters, if there were a ditch, something might deposit in the ditch and, because of its hollowness, debris will deposit faster in the ditch than around it, filling it up. If that happens, relatively new items can get buried at an accelerated rate. There's also the possibility that someone has dug holes in any given place in the past, completely jumbling the stratigraphic nature (order) of the deposits.

To complicate things even more, there is also liquifaction. This is the one that normally throws people for a loop. It occurs when the ground flows like a fluid and happens very slowly in most places. It can be caused by heavy water drainage, the slow effect of frost heave, or anything else that can make the ground flow. Whenever the ground flows, all objects in the ground will start to become bouyant. Objects that are heavier than the flowing soil will sink deeper. Objects that are lighter will float to the top. Have you ever heard of people picking stones out of a farm field every single year because they "just keep coming back?" The lighter weight rocks literally float to the surface in the winter time because of the frost heave.

This usually takes place very slowly. If frost heave is the driving force, then the pace of the objects will depend on how many times the ground has gone from warm to cold and back. Sometimes the soil on top will freeze every night and thaw every day for a few weeks. Every freeze and thaw nudges all objects in the ground slightly. This being said, we still haven't considered the complicating effects of roots or of ground strata that vary in density.

To make a long story short, every little piece of ground has its own history. With experience, one can learn to read this history just by looking and to read much more by digging a few holes. The ground underneath trees does not act like the ground away from trees. Roots tend to compress things and hold them in place, while the organic matter from the trees above ground will increase the local rate of deposition. Pay attention primarily to vegetation and to paths of water drainage. Where a certain kind of plant grows can tell you about the soil and the water is what shapes the soil in the first place.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It most likely been detected before so most of the shallow easy targets are gone, some old parks around here have been detected for 40yrs+ so most all the silver left is 10"+ and its takes a good detector with the right coil to pick these targets up and then its a very faint whisper signal. HH

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It most likely been detected before so most of the shallow easy targets are gone, some old parks around here have been detected for 40yrs+ so most all the silver left is 10"+ and its takes a good detector with the right coil to pick these targets up and then its a very faint whisper signal. HH

Could you elaborate on the whisper signal for deep silver, I understand the faintness, but is it generally repeatable and if so in all four directions??

OP
OP
River Rat82

River Rat82

Tenderfoot
Mar 13, 2013
Just a update haven't been back yet been going other places but in the same area we where out and a old timer stopped and talked too me he said 25 years ago he and a few guys had went to the school and parks around there he said he was finding 3-4 dollars in silver coins a day for a couple of weeks he said it had been hit hard but i will go back heck for me finding clad is a good day and there's lots of that there my dad did find a ring made from a spoon Hoping to go Saturday will post if i find any thing good

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread