can u hunt public parks?

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only you can determine that. You need to find who owns the park; city, county (parrish), state, etc. Then you need to check their website for a list of restrictions. If there is nothing saying that metal detecting is prohibited, then go for it!

OP
OP
digginla.

digginla.

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
jena, la
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 350
Bounty hunter fast tracker 2
Whites classic 3 sl
Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks man

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there's no signs sayin no to it..go at it.

OP
OP
digginla.

digginla.

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
jena, la
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 350
Whites classic 3 sl
Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats it im goin tommorow thats all i can think about i want a 69 cal 3 ring so bad!

OP
OP
digginla.

digginla.

Greenie
Mar 4, 2013
jena, la
Detector(s) used
Garret ace 350
Whites classic 3 sl
Garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a coin man but luv civil war stuff!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
When you find out if its okay to metal detect, you might as well find out if its okay to ride horses there, and practice golf there, and drink alcoholic beverages there and if so, are glass containers allowed, and find out if its okay to play Frisbee there, and Jarts too just for the hell of it. Can you camp there overnight? And are pets off limits? Can you fly kites there? I like to be able to fly my kite at the park, but I really dont know if it's legal. If metal detecting is legal there, you wont find jack squat there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
As Jason says, there are various kinds of parks: city owned, county owned, state owned, federal owned, and I suppose even privately owned. Assuming it's a county or city owned, then odds are......... after you've checked their list of rules, you'll find nothing specific. Ie.: it's usually silent on the subject, saying nothing either way. Ie.: nothing prohibiting it. That's not to say you might not fall under something ELSE that could be "morphed" to apply to detecting (if you tried long enough, and asked enough people). You know, like "alterations" or "defacement" or "harvesting and collecting", etc... But usually, so long as you're not being a nuisance and sticking-out like a sore thumb, you're ignored. So unless you saw something specifically saying "no metal detectors", then presto, it must not be prohibited :)

Look it up for yourself (muni and county codes have to be available somewhere for public viewing), rather than asking someone "can I?". Lest you merely get someone's personal whim or interpretation, when no real rule exists.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread