PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have been waiting for the ground to thaw for months. Checked my yard yesterday when the sun was out and it wasn't too hard frozen just a little crunchy at about 4 inches.

Finishing my coffee now looking at a nice frost on the ground and 20 degrees on my thermometer. Oh well can't find anything sitting at computer.

Going out to a nearby older school.

HH,

Pete

Upvote 0
OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad I got it out. My car was frosted over, got to the schoolyard and the ground was rock solid. Almost turned around but figured I was out. Detected about 3 hours found some parts of the schoolyard that weren't as frozen as others.

Ended up 3 wheats, about 1.50 clad and a sterling St. Christopher medal. Also found a copper FDR coin if anyone recognizes it let me know. I think it might have a been a gas station promotion from the 70's.

Thanks for looking and HH,

Pete

Frosted Car
frosty_car.jpg
Finds
0323_hunt.jpg 0323_good_stuff.jpg
fdr_back.jpg fdr_front.jpg
st_chris.jpg

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds ! I'm dying to get back to my house demo site, but been there 2 or 3 times, and just cant dig yet. Hitting the beaches again this week, easier recovery.

Six2woody

Greenie
May 12, 2012
iowa
Detector(s) used
whites..... MXT PRO V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice.... finds I just got a new machine and its snowing .......AGAIN in Iowa.... Going to have to travel South

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in Georgia, so the ground here never freezes, but a thought occurs to me. Have you guys tried using steel trowels for digging and using a mini-torch to heat up the spade before you put it to task? It seems that the only semi-practical way of making digging into frozen ground any easier is by using an hot tool. It wouldn't work in the deep of winter, obviously, but maybe it could extend your detecting year by a few weeks. If you're just going to hurt yourself digging into ice anyway, you might as well spend a few dollars worth of butane to make it easier.

OP
OP
PullTabPete

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had the cabin fever and was ready to get out. Spring thaw has been a little late to arrive but depending where you look some spots are a lot more frozen then others. After finding my first target and then trying to dig into a rock, I looked for some other spots not so hard frozen and had some success. I think if I need the torch(which I have one I use to dethaw my water spigot when I resurface my ice rink) it may be too early in the season for detecting.

There has been some posts debating that you should wait when ground is frozen so you don't destroy it. I can respect that, but where I was digging wasn't exactly a pristine fairway so I am am quite cognizant of what I am digging in. Between the molehills, mud patches and tire tracks any small damage from digging is unoticeable. Of course when in a nice manicured grass area I treat it as such and won't dig if I think I am damaging it.

HH,

Pete

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread