Snakes

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro, Fisher F70, bounty hunter IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading through the threads and come across a few comments about snakes while detecting. My hubby also warns me. Anyway, I hate snakes! I've seen a few rattlers while hiking in a large park near us over the years. We were also climbing away from the trail and down near the creek, maybe that's why. Aside from reading about the snakes in our area and their habits id like any advice on how to avoid them. Also if I am to come in contact with one, what would you suggest? When I say come in contact I mean a situation where its right up on me.

I feel a little ridiculous with this post but I can't shake my fear.

Upvote 0

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be noisy and wear snake RESISTANT boots. And don't go sticking your hand's into places you cant see.

That said, I was flown off a local mountain in July, 2007 for a rattlesnake bite to my foot.

Maybe best not take advice from me LOL. Actually, I run into snakes all the time. High mountain rattlers. Don't surprise them and you'll be okay.

WM

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The trick is to let them know you are there before YOU discover THEM. Take along a walking stick that you tap along the path as you walk. There are probably ten snakes that see you for everyone that you see. Add a "bear bell" to the stick for the bruins. TTC

capt-zero

Jul 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes have only rudimentary (fermiform) ears and hear mostly by sensing vibrations in the ground. Walk very heavily and you will rarely see a snake. Also, no snake can strike further than 1/3 it's length, so even an eight foot rattler can only strike something a little over two feet away. Carrying a walking stick is always useful in the wilderness.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your input! Here's a pic that's going around fb that scares the hell out of me! This is a rattler found in Texas. I'm in Ohio thank goodness!

ForumRunner_20130325_204456.png

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the most part, snakes want no part of you either, and would only strike if they believe they were in danger, or being cornered. Yup, just like us they would rather head for the hills.

Here's something you might want to try too. I haven't tested this theory, but I am sure it works. After all, I did think of it :tongue3:

Get one of those long novelty rubber snakes and just drag it as you walk. When other snakes see that, they know it's a warning and you mean business :icon_thumright: :tongue3:

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For the most part, snakes want no part of you either, and would only strike if they believe they were in danger, or being cornered. Yup, just like us they would rather head for the hills.

Here's something you might want to try too. I haven't tested this theory, but I am sure it works. After all, I did think of it :tongue3:

Get one of those long novelty rubber snakes and just drag it as you walk. When other snakes see that, they know it's a warning and you mean business :icon_thumright: :tongue3:
Ha ha! I like that! I used to have a rubber snake on my sailboat. Reduced the bird poop cosiderably! TTC

primetime21

Mar 10, 2013
Fell in love with snakes way before my metal detector. Know all the snakes In the area and know the venomous snakes from the colubrids in the area. As you can tell from my pic I gotta little love for the snakes. They get such a bad rap and if you just did a little research you'd know that all snakes are so vital to the environment. Snakes kill more rodents than cats and birds of prey combined. Easy simple advice: stay away from the short fat ones. The one in my pic is a common garter or three lined garter depending on which state you're in. Found him under a concrete wall I was tearing down. After he calmed down he was the most well behaved animal I've ever held. Even let my 6 yr old hold him. Not trying to say anything against anyone just speaking out against the misunderstood.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries primetime. I do research a lot. I've even tried to handle a friends boa (I believe that's what it is) to become more comfortable and possibly get over my fear. This failed miserably though. The way it moved and felt oh dear Pete!

primetime21

Mar 10, 2013
I've got a 55 gal terrarium set up for when I catch all kinds of things. Keep it for a month, feeding and handling it teaching my children all about it and then we let it go. Not saying I'm some animal rights freak but I have a soft spot for reptiles. Won't hesitate to kill deer turkeys or even squirrels when out hunting but if I find a snake, turtles, lizards its hands off.

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
by the way. that photo turned out to be a photoshopped prank.

OP
OP
mcb

mcb

May 6, 2012
Northeastern ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you jrpop! Very thankful its fake.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't think there were rattlers in Ohio. Fortunately most snakes in michigan aren't too scary.

Now when I was working in LA, I didn't chase my golf balls too far into the rough, the beware of rattlers signs were enough to convince me.

HH,

Pete

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What exactly is a bear bell? I have a small Cow bell that I used to attach to a bird Dog's collar. Would that work?

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes, yo gotta love them. I was out detecting yesterday and came across my first garter snake of the year.Naturally, I had to pick it up. Rattlesnakes don't bother me, just walk around them. Any non poisonous snake you come across will moist likely crawl away from you. Rattlesnakes will hold their ground, but several times They have slivered away when I approached.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snakes, yo gotta love them. I was out detecting yesterday and came across my first garter snake of the year.Naturally, I had to pick it up. Rattlesnakes don't bother me, just walk around them. Any non poisonous snake you come across will moist likely crawl away from you. Rattlesnakes will hold their ground, but several times They have slivered away when I approached.

In a previous life while on infantry maneuvers at Ft. Indiantown Gap in PA, we had too many encounters with timber rattlers. They definitely hold their ground.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm no fan of snakes either.

But they are like Indian Artifacts to me.
I can be standing next to one, & unless it moves and Gets my attention,
or somone points it out,
I don't notice them.

it's almost as rare that I even think to watch out for them.

in my entire life 58 years, I remember 6 snakes, 2 very small ring neck snakes
(I guess they are called)about the size of a large earth worm.

one larger Garden snake ? My neighbor asked me to get rid of,

an odd snake maybe 10" I pested with my Coil.

and 2 Black snakes, One I almost stepped on as he sunned himself beside my foot,
as I surveyed my surroundings for detecting spots, & 1 I almost ran over with a Bike on an abandoned rail road

Last edited:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NW Indiana doesn't have too many poisonous snakes, I think it's cause the areas is mostly developed or rural farm land. What we do have is the water moccasin or whats commonly called round these parts as the Cotton Mouth, for obvious reasons if you were to startle or surprise one. The inside of the mouth is snow white. There are very prominent around just about any kind of water (lakes river and creeks). Ohio being not much different than IN. in geography... I would guess you have them as well. Don't run into them much metal detecting but seriously have to watch when prospecting in the central creeks of IN. You ask what to do if you find yourself in a face to face with a snake. I think the better your aware of where you may encounter snakes and the knowledge of the poisonous snakes of your area the better you will be able deal with an encounter. A walking stick, as has been mentioned, is a great idea, snake boots or chaps may be worth the piece of mind. Knowledge and identification of poisonous and non poisonous is most important. I would definitely carry a snake bit kit(and know how to use it) if your in the areas of a possible encounter. Just saw this a few days ago. $10 snake bite kit saves Alabama man's life - Bing Videos

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread