Buying a metal detector.

Miroku

Mar 24, 2013
Elkhart, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure if I was to post in this thread or the brand one. I am new to everything and want a good metal detector but I am a cashier making close to minimum wage. I am not looking for profit really, just want a new hobby. I have about $300~400 total for a new metal detector that one would recommend. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Garrett Ace 250 is a nice one to start with and you may never feel the need to upgrade.

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Miroku and welcome to Tnet!

I own White's brand detectors and really like them and the company though price wise they might stress your budget.
Another brand to look into would be Tesorro, Terry Solloman here on Tnet Swears by them. If possible purchase something a notch or two above the bottom line unit of any brand. Here on Tnet we have a few sponsors check the top header, they are trusted companies and offer some good deals to Tneters. If possible try to find a machine that has a good selection of coils (like 3 to 5 coils of different types and sizes) as once you start finding coins/jewelry you can use your finds to purchase coils and other accessories like a digger and a pinpointer(sunray or garret pro pointer depending on the brand of detector you purchase). Also, I've just assumed here that you will be looking for coins and jewelry on dry land, if you are going to hunt beaches then you will need a machine that does well detecting in a high mineral/salt environment, either wet or dry. The best of luck in your search, I hope these few pointers help.......63bkpkr

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread