Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Raven model 25 and other hacking tools
1part piss / 3 parts vinegar
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While detecting I work at getting repeatable signals. Using my F70 DD, I narrow my swing on targets about 12" in each direction, then narrow more until pinpointing. I often shift 45-90° on moderate signals. I'm starting to figure out coins on edge, but two signals i can't figure out??

One is a repeatable signal in one direction only?? I presume its something small and maybe being read off the edge of the coil? What am I hearing and where in relation to the coil is it? Or...is it the coil cable bumping the shaft?

The other is empty holes!! Good signals.... with a pile of dirt and a deep hole! I use a pro pointer and understand what makes it false. I also use my detector to check the plug/hole before I dig deeper.

Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Before digging one of those type of signals again - try lifting the coil like 4/5 inches and see if it sounds off - if it does - lift it higher like 7/10 inches - if it still sounds off - it's something large and deep

if when you lift it the initial 4/5 inches and the signals weakens or disappears - it's a smaller target not so deep

this will help you identify large deep targets and keep you from digging to China for no reason!

I'm not familiar with the F70 (I'm old skool and have used CZ's for 20+ yrs as well as several other machines for even longer) but

I know on a cz - if you're getting a good signal one way and a broken signal at 90 degrees opposite - it's usually an undesirable target like a large rusty nail or rusty steel bottle cap, etc. (but not always) so - if in doubt = dig because coins on edge and other things can make the machine act this way

If the F70 has modulated audio like the old/er cz's do - you'll get really good at hearing slight tonal differences / breaks that give clues to what is under the coil

if it has digital processed audio - you don't get the benefit of modulated and will have to use other methods/features of the machine to help you better identify what's under the coil

HH and keep at it - you'll get better and better with your machine as time goes on :-)

Last edited:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have also been dumb founded by signals like that as well, I think emi is a big culprit in most cases. Also try lowering your sensitivity a tad to see if that helps. I have found that a small coin spill will also be very hard to figure out when using a big coil like the 10 d2. One hole seemed to be a trash pile before I finally decided to dig it, had 5 coins in it. As for the good signal one way and not the other, most times it's trash, that's where the 3 phase capable detectors shine. I am learning what phases are prominent for trash and what almost guarantees treasure. But purely by sound is more difficult. Dug many trash, but one of the last ones like that was a 1901 Indian Head.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! The F70 has manual GB and I use it at every site. I reGB at the same site, when I find a significant change in conditions. I believe the 70 is a digital unit. But, it has several audio options, that was a selling point for me. It can be set for 2 tones...all the way to 'delta pitch'. I use 4H. Basicly, 4 audio tones, nickles sound off, like quarters.

Lifting the coil makes a lot of sence! Over the last week or so, I have dug (several) cast iron pipes, that hit in the 80+ range, with full iron disc.. I presume they hit high because of the size? In hindsight, I can see how coil orientation plays into those numbers. Even with iron blocked, a large cast iron pipe, read off the side of the coil could produce an up-valued ID.

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scotty544
Forgive my ignorance, I'm going to have to look up '3 phase'... I don't know what that is??

My F70 has the ability to switch between 7 different Hz settings for emi. I actually had to use it! I was detecting an area that had an FAA becon. I was able to quiet my detector, but ultimately had to move on!

Your advice is solid. I have better sucess coin shooting with my Ace350, than my F70. Maybe I should better evaluate the site. I tend to run my Fischer real hot...because I can. I'll try to dial it back for consistent results.

Thanks for your input!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I presume they hit high because of the size? In hindsight, I can see how coil orientation plays into those numbers. Even with iron blocked, a large cast iron pipe, read off the side of the coil could produce an up-valued ID.

It's the reason they hit/read in the 1st place - they're too large to block/disc out

iron disc works on nails/etc. not HUGE chunks of iron - all machines are fooled by those

running the Ground Bal/machine "hot" is okay as long as it doesn't false too much (you can do it where the machine/conditions allow for it)

turning the sens down to stop the falsing IF the Ground Bal is too far out of bal (on the hot side) will cause you to lose depth both because of being out of bal too far AND b/cuz of turning the sens down too far to compensate for the falsing

for EMI problems though - sometimes you have to turn the sens down a bit in order for it to run right OR move away from the interference

OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. If MD'ing was easy, there would be nothing left to find!!

One last question...is there a quick rule for SENC/THRESH? When is it appropriate to turn one up and the other down?

You don't have to quote user manuals. I'm more interested in realistic field experience. How do you do it?

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out the whites v3i. The vx3 also.

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. If MD'ing was easy, there would be nothing left to find!!

One last question...is there a quick rule for SENC/THRESH? When is it appropriate to turn one up and the other down?

You don't have to quote user manuals. I'm more interested in realistic field experience. How do you do it?

Sensitivity is adjusted according to EMI for the most part - sometimes you can run wide open with no interference but sometimes you have to turn it down to 80% or 70% or even as low as 50/60% - it just depends on the area you're hunting and how much interference is present - in general - the only rule to follow is - run it as wide open as you can as often as you can but not to the point that it falses / picks up interference

Threshold on the other hand is a different story

you ALways want to run it at the minimum that you can hear it on a constant - you never want to turn it up loud because the purpose of it (in simple terms) is for the user to hear a "break" in the threshold to alert you of a target - on the flip side - you never want to run it so low that you have a hard time hearing it or can't hear it at all because that defeats the purpose of having the feature in the 1st place - always run it at the point that you can comfortably hear it on a constant at the lowest point that you're not struggling to hear it...

Good luck and HH - keep us updated :-)

LW

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lonewolfe...your replies packa lot of punch. Thank you for taking the time.

BTW, your advice on big targets (i.e. Cast iron) was spot on! I found one today and dug it, just to prove I was right!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS Chopper

I'm not sure if you know this or not or what kind of headphones you're using

but

the better your headphones are - the better you can hear the threshold and the lower you can run it while still hearing it --- ultimately that is what you want to do - run the threshold at the lowest point that you can because

this helps to hear DEEP signals that your detector may not show on the screen OR sound off to (beep) ---- but how it works and what I mean by "hear" deep targets is - - when your machine runs over a really deep target there will be a break (pause) in the threshold telling you that there's a target deep below the coil just out of range for the machine to give a VISUAL and/or AUDIO readout but when you come across one of those targets - you can click into auto-tune and pinpoint it - - that's the cool thing about a threshold feature on a detector and that silent search machines just don't have (and therefore) will walk right over targets that your machine (or any threshold machine) will pick up on as long as it's within depth range of the machine (on the fringe of its depth capabilities). If the threshold is running too high (loud) you won't hear a "break" though and that's why you want to run it as low as possible.

You can find some good stuff this way (deep old coins, etc.)

many of the new/er machines don't have an audio "threshold" and personally - I wouldn't be without a machine that has one ---- "silent search" just can not compare to a threshold detector - out of the machines I currently own - my tejon has the feature

I wish the AT Pro had it but I'm most likely going to pick up an AT Gold so I have both and one (the gold) with a threshold.

Hope this info helps you somewhat

HH and show off some of your finds when you can

LW

Last edited:
OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never put that much importance into headphones. I have a set of the Garrett easy-stow and a free set that came from kellyco...both suck. I've used them, but usually go without. On my next hunt, I'll take your advice and my crappy headphones and see what happens. Something tells me, there is a new purchase in my immediate future.

As for treasurer pics...I can't compare (yet). My best find is a buckle cover. It can't be dated. But, was found in an area that hasn't seen a horse in over 100 years.

I like gold and sliver as much as the next guy. But little bits of rusty history really get me going. I've left my local parks, and have found myself in the middle of the woods...searching more historical areas. I don't know what it will be....but its a matter time before I find 'it'.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130401_013621.png
    ForumRunner_20130401_013621.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 79
OP
OP
ClodChopper

ClodChopper

Mar 6, 2013
Oakland Co. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fischer F70
Garrett ACE 350
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
30 round mags
God Bless America!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lonewolfe

Last couple days, I've been using my headphones. I've put a lot if effort into the proper ballance between SENC/THRESH. Not trying to max either setting and listening for the signal break. What a difference!

Using all the advice you gave me.. settings, lifting the coil and headphones produced the attached picture. These coins were found within 12" of eachother. I alerted on the sliver rosie that gave just the slightest signal. Because that were scattered, it looked like trash, but didn't pass the coil lift test. So I dug it! Needless to say it was a pretty cool find!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130403_180221.png
    ForumRunner_20130403_180221.png
    354.4 KB · Views: 74

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread