One of the MOST repeated questions on T-NET

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some questions just seem to have NO right answer to them. And lately on T-NET it seems to be someone asking "Whats the best metal detector?" This question is like asking whats the best automobile , sports team, religion,or political affiliation. There just is no answer, each person has there own ideas. And you will recieve lengthy answers on why this person thinks his choice is the best. When in reality , there are pros and cons to any answer they give. Such as cost,how much experiance you have, how user friendly and simple, how technically advanced, how heavy, etc... My advice is for you to leave the laptop for a while and go out and find a few people with different ones to demonstrate theirs and see for yourself. Who knows, it could lead to a MD buddy, or save you money on something you just cant figure out or want.

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Good point blaylock. The best way is to hook up with some local MD'ers. I don't care what MD you purchase - once you get the hang of it it will be just as good as any other puppy.

Leeintn

Greenie
Dec 7, 2012
Etowah, Tn
Detector(s) used
Whites Spec XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After reading all the threads, the other most asked questions are:
1. what pinpointer shoould i buy and do i really need one.
2. How to take a MD on a airplane.
3. How to get more depth for coins.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There actually is a "best" metal detector.......it's the one that works the best for you, in your soil or water, hunting for your desired target, and in your budget. Trying a few from some local hunters is a great way to determine your best choice.

OP
OP
B

blaylock

Feb 12, 2013
northeast ms
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There actually is a "best" metal detector.......it's the one that works the best for you, in your soil or water, hunting for your desired target, and in your budget. Trying a few from some local hunters is a great way to determine your best choice.
I agree 100% I have 3 myself and have found stuff with them all. Cheapest was the Radio Shack Discover then the Garrett and most expensive is my White. I keep the RS behind seat of my truck to use if I have a few minutes at friends and families homes, I use the garrett at ball fields and small areas close to home , and the White for old home sites and woods.

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't think people who ask that question are literally thinking there's one best detector. I think it's just a conversational tactic to get people to "sell" whichever detector they prefer in order to generate a list of possible candidates.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of the problem may be from people like me.

There simply aren't local people to ask questions of or try their detectors. There aren't active MDers for hundreds of miles.

All of the info I can get must be gleaned from the interweb and the folks who inhabit it.

WM

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A lot of the problem may be from people like me.

There simply aren't local people to ask questions of or try their detectors. There aren't active MDers for hundreds of miles.

All of the info I can get must be gleaned from the interweb and the folks who inhabit it.

WM

I don't see it as a problem at all, ask all the questions you like! There are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people here.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
one of the most repeted questions on tnet

I keep seeing a question what is the deepest coin depth you found a coin. Also whats better fisher, ace,etc.
I was told their is no metal detector that does it all for Gold,Coins,Beach&Stream of artifacts.

Last edited:

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in the same boat as you; there are no other people near me who I can share the passion with or who can answer my questions either. I get what you are asking. I bought an AT Pro because I want to use it in water, and I figured it would be one way to get my wife to enjoy the hobby with me. Good Luck, and we can share our learning experiences too.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you truly don't have anyone local from whom you can glean information, check the "today's find" section and when you find targets that you expect to find, see what detector they are using.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread