Skunks giving our hobby a bad name !

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
On friday I got permission to hunt three old abandoned houses that a local guy owns. I've been waiting for several yrs to hunt these nearby homes. I always wait for the right time and right place... and I got my chance.

One of the houses is log and built around 1800. The other two are a 1/2 mile away and set on adjoining acreage. They are mid to late 1800's and made of plank.

Friday evening I decided to hunt the older place for an hour or so. I dug an ih and a few wheaties and some junk while I got acclamated to the property. On saturday I hunted the other two houses quicky. This morning I got up expecting rain. It had not arrived yet, so off I went to the older place. I no sooner than got started when I noticed a few plugs laying on the ground. I thought 'what' ? Those are my holes.....NO WAY! !
Im pretty anal about fixing my holes. In fact if you don't tell them, I'll admit to fixing up some of my friends holes. But anyhow, it was them danm skunks. And its not the first time I've seen it. More than a few times I have seen where skunks have dug out my plugs. There gonna give me a bad name!!!!

Also.....I was talking to a friend one day who mows at the sportmens club, where I have detected. He said he saw where I had been hunting and wondered what I found. I said I hadn't been there for months. He said this was freshly done. So I jumped in the truck to go fix somebody elses holes. Got there to find that it was skunks digging for grubs. Hundreds of holes....but not mine. I was getting the blame!!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wainzoid

wainzoid

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2007
morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
I usually come across those yellow jacket nests every summer. They are nasty little guys!!

Several yrs ago, we had white faced hornets build a nest (in a sapling) along my lane. I first noticed it at about softball size. As it got bigger, it made the tree sag over onto my lane. It got to about soccer ball size. We could drive around it, but sometimes we rolled up the windows and pulled right up to it, while it rested against my windsheild. They would go crazy. One day as I come up my lane I noticed something missing, it was the nest. It was laying on the ground and shreaded. It appears that a black bear got into it.... he had to have some nads.

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe they make a varmint repellent that will keep that from happening? I know they make some for dogs and cats to keep them from areas you don't want them in. If the same stuff will work on skunks, squirrels, etc, you might want to carry some and squirt the plug when you leave.
I know dogs have a strong nose & cats too, repelant like amonia might be too harsh for them but skunks, man do they stink, they might be resistant to strong odor. If they bug you too much, find their nest... a Little C-4 goes a long way! lol

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread