Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been hunting several months now with a friend using his ace 350. being totally ignorant on metal detectors, I would love some input from the pros on what type I should buy. we mainly are looking in fields and really don't need any underwater features. I like how simple the 350 is to use but not knowing anything about metal detectors could really use some input before I decide which one to buy. Thanks

Upvote 0

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Darby,

You have a lot of choices. It depends on your budget, soil conditions, types of targets you want, etc. The Garrett Ace 350 is a good unit in the lower price point range. By going up in price, you will add ground balance capabilities to compensate for mineralization in the soil, target ID numbers and increased depth.

Call me if you want to discuss some options.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
All the big name brands make great machines. That includes Garrett, White's, Tesoro, Minelab, Fishers, etc. Basically the Brands you see in the Metal Detectors section. You might want to consider a machine for relic hunting since that sounds like what you are doing. Many machines are good for 2 or 3 types of hunting. Though not every machine is best for every type of hunting. All the Manufacturers will list what each machine is best for.

One thing you have not said is what is your budget. That's a huge consideration. I might recommend a White's MXT Pro...but if your budget is no where near that much, well that would not be a good recommendation. Used machines are also a good options...many machines are bought, used once or twice, or never at all, before ending up on the used market.

If there is a MD shop in your area...or one you could take a day trip to...it's worth the time and gas. You'll get to see lots of machines and try out the features.

With all that said, and this is coming from someone who really does not like Garrett machines, you should seriously consider getting an Ace 350 since you are familiar with it. That way you won't have a new learning curve with a new machine/brand. Or if your budget allows it go with an AT Pro.

OP
OP
Darby

Darby

Mar 31, 2013
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for your input. I can see I need an education on this in order to make a good decision. Any and all opinions help a lot! Thanks again

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's one thing you'll get here if you ask.....opinions! I'd recommend you find some local detectorists who have experience in hunting your area to give you advice on what works good. Most detectors are fairly versatile and can be adjusted to hunt just about any patch of ground but some work better than others in extreme soils. Check on local clubs where members might be able to let you try a few options before you buy. They might even have a spare to sell you.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Buy as much detector as you can afford. The higher end units are much more enjoyable to operate and if your a serious user they will pay for themselves. You can easily get discouraged and quit the hobby with a cheap detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread