Please help with XLT and lost wedding ring

R

R.Whit

Hello, I am in desperate need of expert help. Last night I went to take the trash out and a short time later I noticed my wedding ring had came off. I took the trash back in and looked all through it but nothing found but the trash. I have an XLt but do not know much about it and am just starting tyring to get in the hobby. there is allot of nail debris etc since we just had allot of work done on the house. I tried searching the way I walked last night but didn't see it. I was tyring the Coin/jewelry setting. What setting would be best for just looking for a gold ring and how should it register on the LCD? Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated as I am just sick with the loss. I thought I would try here first and if you think I should list this in Lost and found please let me know.
I'd greatly appreciate your help. I'm so sick about it and being a novice and not feeling confidant at all with my ability doesn't help.
Thanks a million!

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is it a Small Ring (Thin) Or Wide Band ?

If it's a wide band. Coin & jewelry Should work.

to make sure, Test a Nickle & make sure you can pick up a Nickle.

If a Thin Band. see if you can test one like it.
Maby a Friends, if you don't have one like it.

This should Help give you an Idea of what to listen for.

I'm not familiar with that Detector, So maby someone who is may help fruther.
Or maby even someone close to you may be willing to stop by & help.

Good Luck !
Jeff

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand your feelings but don't worry about being a newbie, we all started there.

The gold ring should show up in the pull tab area or nickel. If it was a small white gold it could show up near foil. I would search in the relic setting and check out the grass on everything from foil up to penny.

Make sure you had it on when you carried out the trash. Check around where you set the trash when you took it out. It wasn't left in the bathroom when you washed your hands was it? What were you doing before you took out the trash. Many times people that lose a ring only think of what they were doing when they noticed it missing and lock on to that thought when they could have lost it earlier.

good luck,
Sandman

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember that a ring could roll when dropped. Look on either side of the path you took. Also think about how it might have come off. Did the bag of trash you took out pull it off? If so, maybe look in the receptacle where you deposited the bag. The key is to keep cool and think. You have a great detector, but only if you use your head. That's the best detecting tool you've got!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also remember rings Can Fly

In other words, Don't be Surprised if you find it a good distance from where you thought it came off.

And if there is Brush it can Hang also

NorCal 6er

Aug 24, 2006
chowchilla, ca
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI, GMT, XLT, Fisher C$, Gold Bug 2, 1225, 1220, Minelab SD2200v2
my ring reads 30 on the XLT C & J mode that is flat on the ground

it is 14K 1/4" on top and 1/8" on bottom, hope this helps

Good luck
Joe

OP
OP
R

R.Whit

Thanks for the tips guys! The ring is between 1\4''-3\8" approx thick 14 k yellow gold with stones. I'm thinking it came off like some of you suggested possibly when I set the trash down a few times to catch my breath or when I tossed them over the front fence to the place where the cans are. We looked real good in the road to see if it could have landed there and yesterday I tried to look in the ditch across the street but didn't come up with anything. I'm not going to give up but I really wish I was better with the machine. This spring I want to join a club to learn more about the hobby. If any of you know of an honest person that knows what they are doing that may be interested in helping me look for this for a reward of course, I would appreciate you sending me their contact info. I live in a small town about 20-30 minutes south of Tulsa Oklahoma. Thanks for all of the help and advice and if you think of anything else please let me know.
Thanks!

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know that detector, but it seems to me run it in all metal and low sensitivity since it can't be deep.. It should be right on the surface unless stepped on when searching for it..

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did u keep the trash u were taking out or did it go to the dump?

If u kept it make sure u detect it also, making sure it didn`t stick to some can or whatnot inside.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread