What would you Do???

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iā€™ve only been here for a short time but Iā€™ve had some very concerning thoughts recently that Iā€™d like to share and hope I can get some opinions. Iā€™ve learned that where I live gold rings are going to be few and far between since there are few public beaches and the ones that are close have restrictions that limit metal detecting. Coin and relic hunting is a better choice for my metal detecting. Obviously researching history of my hunting possibilities is where Iā€™m sure my time will pay off. Since winter has finally broke its grip and the ground has thawed Iā€™m ready to go. For several months Iā€™ve probably spent close to 40 hours researching, mapping and talking to various people about the history of their property and what they can remember or what theyā€™ve been told of the old days. Just talking and asking questions has opened the door to some of the properties Iā€™ve gained permission to hunt. I think when the landowners realize Iā€™m not just here to make a buck but to maybe uncover some of the history of their very property they welcome the thought of me detecting it.
I feel Iā€™ve worked rather hard up to this point, and Iā€™ve been recently approached by a guy that detects around here to tag along on some of the property I will be hunting. Now for the problem. I get the whole camaraderie thing and buddying up to hunt together and all. But Iā€™m the one that did all the leg work and heā€™s never offered to let me tag along. I donā€™t want to act selfish greedy or whatever you want to call it but I guess thatā€™s what I want to do in this case. Tell me Iā€™m not the only one thatā€™s run into this situation. What would you do??? :icon_scratch:

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How does he know you have sites lined up?. If your looking for someone to hunt your researched spots go hunt a park or place your not fond of and see how it goes. Or let him choose a spot. Otherwise hunt with out him and don,t advertise. Its all right to hunt with some one, not if you don,t want to though.
Should you want a partner,choose very carefully. If you want them to find what you may have great,it needs to be reciprocal too.
You planned your work,now work your plan. So, i would hunt by myself till when and if I wanted company. If you feel bad about not taking him hunt a neutral site with him.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Most of the time, I hunt with guys that I can reasonably expect the invites (the tit-for-tat) to go both ways. Ie.: they'll invite me to their sites, that they research, at future times. But if I find that I'm doing all the research, and they're doing nothing but tagging along and never reciprocate, then ......... I usually stop hunting with those types.

It's not intentional mind you (you or I are not trying to be "mean"), but ..... it's only fair.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just say "No."

goldentruth

Nov 3, 2011
French Gulch, North Calif.
Detector(s) used
"WHITES" GOLDMASTER "GMT" & "TESORO GOLDEN SABRE II" with silent search.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iā€™ve only been here for a short time but Iā€™ve had some very concerning thoughts recently that Iā€™d like to share and hope I can get some opinions. Iā€™ve learned that where I live gold rings are going to be few and far between since there are few public beaches and the ones that are close have restrictions that limit metal detecting. Coin and relic hunting is a better choice for my metal detecting. Obviously researching history of my hunting possibilities is where Iā€™m sure my time will pay off. Since winter has finally broke its grip and the ground has thawed Iā€™m ready to go. For several months Iā€™ve probably spent close to 40 hours researching, mapping and talking to various people about the history of their property and what they can remember or what theyā€™ve been told of the old days. Just talking and asking questions has opened the door to some of the properties Iā€™ve gained permission to hunt. I think when the landowners realize Iā€™m not just here to make a buck but to maybe uncover some of the history of their very property they welcome the thought of me detecting it.
I feel Iā€™ve worked rather hard up to this point, and Iā€™ve been recently approached by a guy that detects around here to tag along on some of the property I will be hunting. Now for the problem. I get the whole camaraderie thing and buddying up to hunt together and all. But Iā€™m the one that did all the leg work and heā€™s never offered to let me tag along. I donā€™t want to act selfish greedy or whatever you want to call it but I guess thatā€™s what I want to do in this case. Tell me Iā€™m not the only one thatā€™s run into this situation. What would you do??? :icon_scratch:
I would say: Hey Buddy, Now it's your turn. I shared my spots, now lets go where you like to go. (Or Find a buddy who researches like you do & Get to ,the gravy, No need for an anchor.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hunt alone mainly, but I have a friend that's fun to hunt with, we are very competitive and have a lot of laughs.

We never really discussed it, but I invite him to a spot, and then he will invite me. Your friend is taking advantage of your leg work.

If it bothers you, I would just ask him, don't let it fester. Good Luck.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did the property owner give you the right to invite others on the property?

LinkHylian

Dec 21, 2012
WA State
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro + ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
From how it sounds and yada yada, you are already somewhat skeptical of this guy. Like he'd F you over somehow. Clearly from how you talk it sounds like you would do more/offer more than this individual.
Your doubt flurishes in your words. I can tell you think he'll screw you over and won't return the favor.
Don't do it, you've worked too hard, at least on this particular plot.
Imagine if you go out with him and he finds some fat ass ring/gold coin? What would you do if he just said "oh no bro, this ones mine" or something of that sort? Start a fight? I doubt it, that'd be silly.
If I ever invite anybody to join, it's always 50/50, no matter who finds it.
Maybe go somewhere else? Somewhere more common until you've felt more trust from this guy/gal?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've done the legwork (research/permission) then the spot is yours to hunt first, before you bring anyone along. If he's persistent just tell him you'll check with the property owners to see if they'd mind you bringing a friend along sometime. My worry though is that if I brought someone to a good spot, they might go back without me and cost me that spot in the future.

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
I had a digging buddy that always like to go but wouldn't ever go out and talk to people to get permisson. i took him to a spot and a promise was made that he wouldn't go back without me. Well, he pounded the site without me, didn't fill his holes and left the trash sitting on top of his mess. i don't dig with this guy anymore but he will sometimes follow me around to see where I am digging. Dig alone or find someone you can trust. DD.

TNGUNS

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
Evensville, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900, Fisher 1266x, Tesoro Eldorado, Tesoro Silver Sabre, Whites Eagle Spectrum, Teknetics G2, Teknetics T2, Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Singing the same song as many above. Make sure he is willing to give as good as he gets. I have actually lost friends by taking them to a honey-hole with the promise they never go back unless I invite them. "Sure..no problem" until they find some good stuff and the greed overrides the friendship. A good hunting partner really adds to the enjoyment of the hobby and helps motivate both hunters. Just pick your partners wisely.

Last edited:

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd ask your friend which sites he has been researching over the winter and when can you go with him hunting? If he doesn't have a good answer, tell him after he has done his homework maybe you can team up.

I know I have researched a few sites over the last several months and would only invite someone to go with me if they bring something to the table.

HH,

Pete

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you've done the legwork (research/permission) then the spot is yours to hunt first, before you bring anyone along. If he's persistent just tell him you'll check with the property owners to see if they'd mind you bringing a friend along sometime. My worry though is that if I brought someone to a good spot, they might go back without me and cost me that spot in the future.

This is exactly what I was going to say. Some people are really shady and once they've hunted the spot once with you they will assume that it is an open invitation to go back any time they want. Next thing you know they've worn out their welcome and pissed off the land owner which gets both of you kicked out. Not only do you lose that property but other people you've lined up get the word and now you've lost more than one spot. I would never share a place I've personally lined up with a complete stranger. Taking along someone with you to this type of spot is like entering into a partnership. Would you start a business or marriage with someone you don't even know if you can trust? Hopefully not.

As others have said, just put him off for now by telling him that you'll have to check with the land owner to see if it is ok. Then just never really get back to him on it. Say stuff like, "I forgot" or "the timing just didn't seem right". Don't forget to throw in "I'm not finding anything anyway". :thumbsup:

joe_dirt

Jan 15, 2013
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, Makro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You're asking for opinions about something that's strictly up to you. I don't think you would be asking if you weren't already aware of the potential risks involved with bringing someone along. So you know the risks, now just ask yourself if it's worth it. Does the appeal of having a hunting buddy outweigh those risks?

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, there really are some jaded folks on this forum giving caustic advice. Here's the way to see it. You only want to trust someone that you know and you don't want to hunt with someone you can't trust. So, whoever hunts with you needs to be a friend, not just some guy. You don't really know that he isn't trustworthy yet, though. He didn't do anything against you yet. So, I would pick one good spot (an expendable spot, not a great one) and take him out there. Then see whether or not he even tries to reciprocate before you invite him anywhere else. His behaviour at and after that first locale will tell you everything you need to know about him. It may be the start of a friendship or it may end on the first hunt. Hope for a friend and plan for betrayal.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a digging buddy that always like to go but wouldn't ever go out and talk to people to get permisson. i took him to a spot and a promise was made that he wouldn't go back without me. Well, he pounded the site without me, didn't fill his holes and left the trash sitting on top of his mess. i don't dig with this guy anymore but he will sometimes follow me around to see where I am digging. Dig alone or find someone you can trust. DD.

Wow I would kick that dudes azz! What a douche bag!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread