Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
I metal detected for half a hour and found 1959 D penny at a 1950s school. I am metal detecting again today maybe at a school that was made in about 1810 that is still around. Yes, 1810 not 1910. or maybe a school made in 1900. I was wondering how long does it take to find a wheat. I have metal detected in my backyard for 2 3/4 days and found nothing of good interest. Can I have someone tell me how long it took them to find their first wheat penny first silver and first buffalo.

Happy Detecting

Update 3 metal detecting days later I have found a 1904 Barber dime in G/VG, a 1919 Buffalo nickel with Ag/G details, and a 1915 D penny in Fine condition all in the same hole.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I metal detected for half a hour and found 1959 D penny at a 1950s school. I am metal detecting again today maybe at a school that was made in about 1810 that is still around. Yes, 1810 not 1910. or maybe a school made in 1900. I was wondering how long does it take to find a wheat. I have metal detected in my backyard for 2 3/4 days and found nothing of good interest. Can I have someone tell me how long it took them to find their first wheat penny first silver and first buffalo.

Happy Detecting

All depends on where u detect, how long u pound the area, persistence. Their is no set time, you may find a large copper before a wheat, you just never know.

DigitNY

Jan 1, 2013
Cortlandt NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do yourself a favor and jump start you possibilities, research, research, research is the key. If you know the school is 1800's then the possibilities are good. Like has been said there are lots of variables. Including who and how well it's been hunted before you. My approach is to Recon the whole place first. My guess is you may find certain places with more signals than others. Good and junk ones. Start to grid these areas out on a smaller scale and keep track of what and where you find good targets. This tells you where people have been and lost items. Cover these first, then move out to the areas that didn't produce the best on the Recon. What this does is give you a better overall idea of not only where to start but where those before you may not have been. No one can say how long it will take for anyone to find your next good target. Look at it like this, you like anyone starts out with a 50/50 chance at success, anything you do to improve this is your advantage. This includes the way you hunt, your choice in detector's, the way you use your detector's options and site/ground conditions and probably many more that I don't even know yet. It's easy to loose focus and concentration especially when your not finding good stuff or digging junk you thought sounded good. When this happens tome I get sloppy and things start to fall apart. I you can't refocus then it's probably best to take a break and rethink your plan. Now.... If "I" could just use my own suggestions maybe I'd do a better job too. :icon_scratch:

Well said hunter, felt like that today, 3weeks ago found a gold ring,couple a days later a 1831 large cent. Since then, (bout 30hours detecting) nothing..??!! So I was a little frustrated today, not finishing my digs(just covering them up before thoroughly searching) need to take a break and regroup, do a little more research and go hit something exciting.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just takes patience and practice, but the key is looking at places that are at least 50 years old. I would say it took me a day or two to find my first coin of worth, ironically it is still my oldest coin to date an 1883 Indian head penny. I think it was my second time ever using a detector. It was at a very old home site that was nothing more than a well casing sticking out of a cow field that gave away the presence of a very old home site.

villival

Mar 18, 2013
Southern Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP Deus (Ophelia), Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been metal detecting for about two months and found so many wheat pennies within the first week that I was digging at night between the street and the sidewalk, by car headlight. I have about 12. I found a 1904 Indian head, a buffalo nickel, a 100 year old solid brass and cloisonne knife, a copper garden frog, a very old coin (lead, bronze or silver; am not yet sure), tons of what they call "clads" here, a copper garden shell, two Louisiana luxury tokens, a Mississippi tax token, many unidentified metal "rocks", what I am hoping is a very old silver ingot bar, so many cool iron and metal pieces (aside from all the nails I've dug up) that I believe I may start making art installations from them; some are very old and very large, old metal toy cars, a very old copper lipstick case with a crown on top and some of the most beautifully colored "stones" from the iron, red clay and sand in our dirt that I have every seen. There's more, but the point is I have a really bottom of the line "toy" of a detector and it has really been fun. Go over and over spots you have already done. If it has just rained or your batteries are fresh, you will find things that weren't "there" the first time. What a blast!

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
I found two massive wheaty spills. 29 wheats in an area about as big as a pie tin, nothing else at all, just wheats. Another spill, 43 wheats, this spill about as big as a dinner plate. On this one I kept thinking "there must be silver in here"...but there was not. Just one buff nickel. Both of these wheaty spills were found in Thomson Park, Watertown, NY many years ago. These are some of my wheaty stories. I have more.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually put my coins in tins I have been filling up for the last few years. While the older coins hold up better in the dirt. I do have some that need a good cleaning. Any clean silver or Wheaties go into a special tin in the safe. I need glasses to see most dates so just enjoy pulling the coins up. Rings and other silver and gold items go into a separate chest. Im sure there is some unknons in my tins. No buffalo yet nickel yet. But lots of nickles, maybe I have a few silver ones. I just got a book on coins so will check it all out some day. Wheats are pretty common still for me, but I have to be digging for coins to find them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread