AT Pros and 90 deg. Repeating tone n VDI?

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AT Pro's and 90 deg. Repeating tone n VDI?

Now bear with me hear I'm not trying to dispute what I think is generally the answer to this question and or statement. I have less than ten hours on the new AT Pro but I have noticed several targets that have good tone and VDI on one swing but either no tone w no VDI or good tone with no VDI or scratchy tone and good VDI on a perpendicular swing that have turned out to be good targets. Silver and wheats so far.
I know I've read various post referring to checking a signal by cross swinging at 90 deg. I have used this technique with various detectors prior to the AT and it most always confirmed a good target.

I guess the reason I started even questioning myself was the Pro offers more information and I'm sure greater depth than I'm use to. Another thing I noticed on some targets which I cross check, not every time would they give me a positive response ( any kind of tone or VDI) at 90 deg. but I would get positive info at various angles and it ends up being a good target. This happened to me yesterday with a Rosie and a Merc both at depths of 6" to 7"clay mix soil. GB 85ish

I'm sure this has to do with a lot of things, target orientation, depth, GB, ground mineralization and near by trash but not really sure. Still in the learning curve with the Pro but I've been hunting in Pro Mode, Zero, Disc at 32/35, Sens. at full to two bars off depending on the trash. I will have to pay more attention when I dig these type of responses. Just thought I'd throw this out there to let other AT Pro owners know what I've found and see if they can give some input. These AT Pro might be giving us more information that we know. I'm thinking coin orientation (deeper coin standing on edge) or anything other than flat, may not give us a VDI but a tone or scratchy tone. If the swing is parallel with the coin it may not respond at all if that swing happens to be the 90 deg. swing. but may be the scratchy tone w VDI when the swing is at say a 45 deg. Not sure but my results have shown me just because I don't get a 90 deg. response doesn't mean it's not a good target. I've also started multi directional patterns of the same ground to possibly pick up targets that the first run didn't catch and I have missed things. May set up a test plot and see if I can reproduce this? but I'm guessing it may not be like a real dig.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

issombeituni

May 26, 2013
How do u like the at pro??? I was purchasing one here soon cabelas have them for 549 or i was thinking of a minelab 505 any info u xan share?

lededoop5125

Jul 11, 2013
North-East Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites- Coinmaster Pro, Garrett- AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im still learning the AT PRO also. what are these tones/signals that end up being silver like... haven't found silver since 2012 so I would like to understand all these iffy signals and what they sound/look like

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread