Estimate Age of a Buckle?

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this large steel (iron?) buckle today, at an old farm. I think it may be from a horse harness?

Any way to estimate it's age? Guesses as to it's function (Besides holding someone's pants up....)?

It's about the size of deck of cards.

Thanks Buckle3  4-13.jpg 017.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
BryanM362

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Anyone, Anyone? :)

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say 1906 to be exact :headbang:

It looks to be a hasp from Paul Bunyan's diaper :tongue3:

Sorry, I really have no clue, so I went for a cheap shot :laughing7:

OP
OP
BryanM362

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
those can date up to fairly modern tack stuff.

Thanks Tom. I'm thinking it's early 1900's, based on it's condition, the fact that it came from an old farm (that no longer has horses), and the way it's constructed, just doesn't look modern to me. But who knows, could be 1950ish too....

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I can think of sites where corrals and horse and tack things went on, where iron square and rectangular stuff like that is so common, we just chuck it to the side. Or drop it off at the first trash can we come to. Unfortunately, it's one of those items can cover 200 yrs. Could be as early as the 1750s (I suppose), and/or could be as recent as the 1950s (I suppose). Contrast to a copper or brass buckle, and the color and feel (alloys and impurities and machined "feel") will indeed give you an idea as to the age. But iron just rusts up, leaving the finder little to go on, unfortunately.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
If you really want to be sure BryanM362 - you can sent that puppy out for radiocarbon dating.
killingme.gif

OP
OP
BryanM362

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread