Long shot, but told money buried in my yard

H

Holly_squirrel

My question is, if someone was to bury money , about 50 plus years ago.. What sort of container Would they have possibly used?
When we bought our house , 18 years ago, the then owners told us to be on the lookout for $ 17,000 that they were told was possibly buried here.
The original owners who built tbis house owned 300 some acres around here. They sold it off in lots. One elderly neighbor told me how they sold her 3 acres for 4,000. So anyhow , it's quite possible that alot of money was moving through their hands. However I doubt tbe story seriously, because how could one saftey bury money in heavy clay soil... And expect it to be safe...
So anyway, say it was true.. What signal should I be looking for on my ace 250? My whole yard lights up as iron, due to coal and slag... So digging every hit is impossible.

Also, can this detector detect through cinder block? Lol. We got this bump out on tbe basement wall that makes no sense ... No real purpose we can imagine for it... But I'm not willing to rip a foundation wall apart ... Unless I had good reason

Last edited:
Upvote 0

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Lots of older folks burried in old mason jars....but ive heard ofpeople using "vaults" that were homemade. Some out of block. The best would be fired clay brick from fireplaces or hearths....that stuff is crazy strong and can stand the test of time.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Not sure about the "type containers" question, but as far as buried-money and cache-stories, they're a dime-a-dozen. Once you've been at this enough years, and run into enough people, you'll have heard so many such "sure-fired" treasure lead stories. Everyone thinks they know of a treasure buried on such & such land or farm, or such & such cave, etc....

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question is, if someone was to bury money , about 50 plus years ago.. What sort of container Would they have possibly used?
When we bought our house , 18 years ago, the then owners told us to be on the lookout for $ 17,000 that they were told was possibly buried here.
The original owners who built tbis house owned 300 some acres around here. They sold it off in lots. One elderly neighbor told me how they sold her 3 acres for 4,000. So anyhow , it's quite possible that alot of money was moving through their hands. However I doubt tbe story seriously, because how could one saftey bury money in heavy clay soil... And expect it to be safe...
So anyway, say it was true.. What signal should I be looking for on my ace 250? My whole yard lights up as iron, due to coal and slag... So digging every hit is impossible.

Also, can this detector detect through cinder block? Lol. We got this bump out on tbe basement wall that makes no sense ... No real purpose we can imagine for it... But I'm not willing to rip a foundation wall apart ... Unless I had good reason

I looked into the cache thing for a friend.

First; I can't imagine that anyone would bury money out doors when you could do it indoors. Zero likelihood that someone could spy on you doing it. That means likely the basement dirt floor or walls.

Second; any container then, mason jar, paint can, Prince Albert can for bills, etc.

I'm with Tom on the stories thing.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One nice thing about the 250 is it can discriminate. Run it in coin or jewelry mode and it won't react to iron. Notch down the sensitivity 2 clicks as well.

Will it 'see thru' cinder block? I think so but test it before knocking holes in your basement. I would also test above-below-left&right of suspected bump. It could be the cast iron plumbing clean out that someone plastered over.

$17k in '63 could buy a house. Would you bury it? Still, you don't have to ask anyone to look.

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i know a guy that has found a couple of buried jars before, he told me that he always finds where the bedroom was and that the owners buried them where they could be seen from the bedroom window. ive also hearsd of stuff being buried under fence post. good luck, let us know what ya find!

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

image-3917437814.jpg

image-3571185753.jpg

Excuse my crusty basement ... But that is the bump out. Totally fireplace size and shape. Those house is about 60 years old . Tbe basement is a complete rectangle .. Rancher shaped and that is the only place along all tbe walls that is not flat. The septic well or whatever it's called was on opposite side of the house.. It was original, we replaced it when we built on.. So it's not septic related. Tbe wall it's on was the side where the attach garage used to be ... The basement did not continue under the garage.
It also was not any sort of fireplace ... They original owners had a wood stove about 8 foot from it... That the owners we bought it from removed . If anyone can give me an explanation for the bump out... I'd love to hear it.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

I hesitate to mention.... Cause people can be scarey ... Lol... But there is a particular spot in that bump out that makes tbe detector
Beep more than anywhere else. However the walls all around do make the occasional beep. Beep. Beepbeep. But this one foot by one foot area makes it beep beep beep beepbeep. Lol ... I'm thinking there is rebar occasionally through out the block.. Why this one lil spot beeps more who knows.. Could be the foil from the insulation shoved down there . My therory is that there was a weak spot in tbe wall or they had extra block. Buried money sure would be nice though.. Lol

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
View attachment 774388

View attachment 774389

Excuse my crusty basement ... But that is the bump out. Totally fireplace size and shape. Those house is about 60 years old . Tbe basement is a complete rectangle .. Rancher shaped and that is the only place along all tbe walls that is not flat. The septic well or whatever it's called was on opposite side of the house.. It was original, we replaced it when we built on.. So it's not septic related. Tbe wall it's on was the side where the attach garage used to be ... The basement did not continue under the garage.
It also was not any sort of fireplace ... They original owners had a wood stove about 8 foot from it... That the owners we bought it from removed . If anyone can give me an explanation for the bump out... I'd love to hear it.
Maybe had ledge there and they built the bump out to hide it?

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

calisdad said:
One nice thing about the 250 is it can discriminate. Run it in coin or jewelry mode and it won't react to iron. Notch down the sensitivity 2 clicks as well.

Will it 'see thru' cinder block? I think so but test it before knocking holes in your basement. I would also test above-below-left&right of suspected bump. It could be the cast iron plumbing clean out that someone plastered over.

$17k in '63 could buy a house. Would you bury it? Still, you don't have to ask anyone to look.

Notched it down to 2 bars on sensitivity and put it on relic and tben coin and that spot still went off. However so did occasional other spots everywhere... Just not as concentrated. But this is me we are speaking of... And hidden money just don't happen in my world.. Lol

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I hesitate to mention.... Cause people can be scarey ... Lol... But there is a particular spot in that bump out that makes tbe detector
Beep more than anywhere else. However the walls all around do make the occasional beep. Beep. Beepbeep. But this one foot by one foot area makes it beep beep beep beepbeep. Lol ... I'm thinking there is rebar occasionally through out the block.. Why this one lil spot beeps more who knows.. Could be the foil from the insulation shoved down there . My therory is that there was a weak spot in tbe wall or they had extra block. Buried money sure would be nice though.. Lol
If it is rebar you should be able to trace it with the detector as it would be long and evenly spaced...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Holly you could always drill a hole and use a bore scope to look inside.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

dieselram94 said:
Maybe had ledge there and they built the bump out to hide it?

That don't quite seem logical... But neither does my theory of extra block ... Lol.. Now that I tbi k about it... I do tbink it was added later after it was already built.. Cause there is a big blob of sloppy cement at the bottom of it.. And everywhere else tbe walls were done to perfection .

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Could be a blocked up entrance to a bomb shelter:dontknow: But if it was mine I think I would just keep detecting somewhere else...

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
There is a old house in town that when new owners started to gut it for a major rehab they found massive amounts of cash buried in the walls. It payed the mortgage off and payed for a new home they built right next to it. It does happen....

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

dieselram94 said:
There is a old house in town that when new owners started to gut it for a major rehab they found massive amounts of cash buried in the walls. It payed the mortgage off and payed for a new home they built right next to it. It does happen....

Dang... Nice... What would be the protocol here... I kinda feel like I'd have to track down the old folks next of kin and share it... Cause it's not really mine

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Dang... Nice... What would be the protocol here... I kinda feel like I'd have to track down the old folks next of kin and share it... Cause it's not really mine
That would be a very nice thing to do but on the other hand the previous owners were aware of the money (if it exists) and neglected to find it so...
If it were me I would just consider it a blessing in life and keep going.

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

wainzoid said:
Knowing you, I think you could tear it out, check, and have it looking like new till the hubby gets home! lol
Put ur steel toes on and not ur heals. :-)

Lol... Ahhh so wise... I went out to the garage to browse his tools to try to figure out what could drill a hole through concrete... But bagged the idea. You don't mess with a mans tools.. Plus what could i tell from a one inch diameter hole through a cinder block anyhow

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Check the attic first and storage areas and sellers veracity, and the previous owners before damage is done. HH Boris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread