FREAKIN RED GEORGIA CLAY!!!!!!

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know that dirt is tought to dig in. I used to work on a couple of golf courses in the ATL area.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Georgia red clay isn't just dirt. It can literally dull and break the steel on shovels. Massive digging machines slow down when they hit the clay layer. It sets up like cement, but is still just a bit soft like tar. It catches a shovel like a mitt. I might avoid detecting any exposed clay entirely. Even if I brought a real shovel, I would choose to not use it.

neighbors75

May 5, 2012
Ironton, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett Grand Master Hunter CX III,

Garrett Ultra GTA 1000,

Whites coinmaster classic.

Whites Coinmaster 2/D TR- Discriminator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia Red Caleche

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious...... if that red clay is that stinkin tuff how does anything (coins) get below the grade? I know Indiana clay can get like concrete come August.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your working way to hard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! drive around and find where they are building or filling in ( Georgia just moves dirt from one place to another ) I have had great luck just scanning piles of grading dirt or fill dirt ( terms change by what location it at ) Let the backhoes do the work

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia soil is tough like Alabama. Not a lot of top soil unless you are in the bottoms. That red clay is hard stuff but there is lots in Ga to dig.

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would wager that whatever is deposited in Georgia clay was deposited along with the clay while it was loose or was deposited before the clay. I can't imagine that natural liquifaction would make a small object sink through it. That stuff is seriously tough and heavy!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread