got into it with a cop yesterday

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I was out at a small park messing around.....mind in my own business.....and this guy walks up in normal clothes...says he's a cop...I say "I don't belive you...lemme see some id " he shows me a really shiny badge and card. ( very pretty)...anyway conversation goes like this.....
Cop- what are you doing here son?
Me- - I'm just messing around with my metal detector
Cop - your not allowed to do that here
Me - well sir it isn't posted that I can't. It says nothing about it in the county laws. Why can't I do it here?
Cop - cause my kids play here and I don't want them seeing people like you....
Me - people like me? What the hell do you me people like me?
Cop - people digging up public property for no reason. It makes the city look bad
Me - dude...your telling me I make the city look bad but the f%&#in crack heads hanging out around the parks doesn't?!?!?!
Cop - my kids don't see that crap. You need to leave now.
Me - well I don't need to since there is no law about it....and your not in uniform...or in your cop car...so you really have no authority over me at the moment....
Cop - you better be gone when I get back...I'm going home to get my " citation book" ( whatever the hell that is)
Me - where do you live dude... imma run my detector in your front yard....( thinking I'm being funny)
Cop leaves I continue on my path to riches.....
He comes back!!!!!!!!!! And writes me a damn ticket!!!!!for tress passing ( which I will be fighting) and for arguing!!! I didn't know they can do that....what is this world coming to.....butt head cop.

So the moral of the story...I guess.....is I'm not as funny as I thought I was....really rather depressing if you think about it. Oh and now I'm going to be short $142.57 this week cause I can't keep my big mouth shut!

End rant.

Upvote 0

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck this is becoming a common problem in this hobby. I have on several occasions cops asking me how I'm making and good luck. local park ,fair ground and state forest. But then again I live in rural upstate New York and the first day of deer season the school is of. Sometime it pays to live in the country.

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Good luck this is becoming a common problem in this hobby. I have on several occasions cops asking me how I'm making and good luck. local park ,fair ground and state forest. But then again I live in rural upstate New York and the first day of deer season the school is of. Sometime it pays to live in the country.

Yea sometimes I miss living in Florida.....no one cares from where i m from.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I realize that hindsight is 20/20, but when the cop went home to get his citation book, you should have called it a day and come back another day and/or time to hunt. Depending on who he has as friends in government, they may now come up with an ordinance against detecting if none exists. You may win the battle but lose the war. I wish you well in the fight!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
as difficult as it may be to do in some situations especially when dealing with a jerk cop, always try to treat them with respect. I've found if you just stick to "yes sir/no sir" and do as they ask you will usually walk away without tickets or being arrested.

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
I used to dispatch Vegas cops (I know, I know ...) I don't know where you live, but it sounds like it's a place where the cops aren't trained to treat others like citizens but to suspect everyone. Fight it for sure, you should have no problem winning as long as you were following the rules.

For him to cite you for arguing is ridiculous! I've never heard of that! Unless you were belligerent in some manner, which doesn't seem to be the case.

If I would have been you, I would have called 911 or the non-emergency number so the officer's supervisor would've been forced to get involved ... Street clothes cops can cite you, unfortunately. Before I call a lawyer or go to the courthouse, I'd call and talk to the cop's superior ... Who knows, this cop could be having a power tripping moment and you just got caught in the cross-hairs.

Good luck!

coin hunter

Jan 13, 2008
Sidney, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett,1500 , 2500, AT PRO, Garrett Pin pointer,AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's right go to the police station a file a formal complaint.Have them explain how you can get a ticket for trespassing in a local park. I know everyone is full of advise but what is worse thing can happen, take your birthday away. If you do find any regulations in your favor on metal detecting keep it in your back pocket for next time. Let the force be with you.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love it if you posted his name on this forum......I would like to do some "Research" on this Officer

OP
OP
killerclown

killerclown

Mar 24, 2013
Amelia Island Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
UPDATE!!!! UPDATE!!!!!!!UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!

Just got home from the police station....supervisor informs me....
"If there isn't a city or county ordinance posted or stating I didnot do anything wrong then I did nothing wrong"
He said the "officer" was in the wrong and threw the citation out...last words from him were "happy digging"

Killer clown -1
Crazy cop -0

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How's that state forest working out for you? I keep wondering if researching state lands for homesteads and the like is worth it.

Rick

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Killer Clown! Great of you to post the followup. Great ending.

You would be SHOCKED at how many md'rs would take a booting like that, and merely ASSUME: "oh no, the parks here are off-limits". And just take it as gospel fact. I've gotten to where I don't take ANY booting (cops, gardeners, rangers, etc...) as meaning much of anything. To me, it merely means "avoid *just* that one person in the future". In your case, you had no choice but to get-things-clarified (d/t you were holding an actual ticket in your hand). But if it had just been a case of a booting or a scram, then no, if there's no actual *specific* rule, then ..... I do not consider those things a precedent for ANYTHING.

Heysenn

Mar 5, 2013
Awesome!!! I hope the supervisor rips that officer a new one! Hopefully that power tripper will go bother real "criminals" !!! Good job. I'd go back to the park you were at and wait for him to show up again. LOL

herb n surf

Jun 12, 2011
Gulf Coast Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites' Pi Pro, Dual Field, and fisher labs' Cz21 , BH Land Star, BH 3300 ,Garrett GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I guess they don't read the writing on their own cars " To Serve And To Protect " They read " To Harass And To Ticket "

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's a shame that we've turned our police officers into glorified tax collectors........

rhartman911

Feb 4, 2013
Camino, Ca
Detector(s) used
3"Highbanker/Dredge Combo, Gold Buddy Mini Highbanker, Keene A52 Sluice Box and a Garett AT Gold Detector
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW you should win that case. On the ticket it should show the date,time and location of citatation. So it would show you where in a park and less there is a No Tresspassing in a park the ticket is boggess after you win the case then you need to file a lawsuite against the police department in small claims court to retrieve the money you loss spending time on this boggess charge even if you dont win his superior will at least get this lawsuit paperwork with his name on it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread