So a little saddened with detecting.
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: So a little saddened with detecting.

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Mar 2013
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Garrett Ace 250
    5 times
    Coin Roll Hunting

So a little saddened with detecting.

I got my detector on Sunday and have been to a few parks and homes. Found mostly nails and random stuff. Was looked at funny by people in the park and had cops follow me. I didn't find anything at the homes I went to and I feel like it's a waste of time. My city isn't famous for anything in particular and I can't really travel super far. I guess I will stick with CRH. I am hoping to get a refund for my gear. I know I only used it for a few days and never expected to find anything awesome but was hoping for a wheat or something. I think because I have silver fever that I want to find everything. I love reading this forum and seeing what people pull from the ground.

us
    Jun 2012
    Winchester, Va
    Garrett Groundhog, AT PRO
    49 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Those TV shows made it look easy...but its not. There is stuff everywhere (almost), you gotta keep at it and do your research. You will never go out every single time and find amazing stuff. But I can say the more you got out the chances of finding stuff increases and so does your ability to use your equipment.

Apr 2013
    18 times
    Miroku, don't feel bad, I found a 1942 whet penny, some cans, A BOMB, some nails. I haven't given up hope yet though!
    cedarcreek likes this.

Feb 2013
    91 times
    You should not get discouraged so quickly. I am new to this site, but not to detecting. It takes alot of work and research plus a little luck to become successful at anything. Stick with it and before you know it the sun will be shinning on you.
    Miroku and cedarcreek like this.

us
    May 2012
    Central Florida
    Whites, Garrett Ace, and Fisher 1280X.
    229 times
    like chris said, do some research on your area, then learn your machine well and explore! the coolest coin i've found was last weekend after a year of hunting was a franklin half dollar, a 1962. i've discovered early on that you have to hunt some of the unusual sites. one day i was hunting a pile of junk in a corn field and pulled out a 1948 rosie, just happened to be walking by and swung the coil over it and bam, and that was after a very unsuccessful hunt too, so ya never know! good luck!

us
    Feb 2013
    Utah
    120 times
    I agree that you shouldn't get discouraged. I have been MD for just over a year now and my story is not a lot different from yours. I have found coin, but it was all clad and I knew it would be because I was searching in a sand pile where my local community does a money find for kids every year. I found exactly $1.25 and other than that I have found a TON of pull tabs, some washers, and some nails. I was ready to give up just like you are, but then I let the experts take my detector one day while we were camping.... my kids! My 13yr old boy and 9 yr old girl took my detector determined to find something. In about 20 minutes they come back all excited that they had found a dime; to my astonishment it was a 46 Rosie! All I can say is it re-kindled my excitement for detecting.
    boris likes this.

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    1052 times
    miroku, I have to say I loved your post. Not or the fact that you didn't find anything, but realizing detecting is not your cup of tea.

I say this for all of those who reply when asked, what detector should I get and they reply the most expensive one There's nothing like shelling out upwards to several hundred dollars for equipment you may never use, and let it collect dust

Then again, someone will still come along now and tell you about that sweet silver finding machine for a grand very soon

I would best sum it up that detecting is a hobby the requires both research and luck. Just go out for the fresh air and the joy of possibly getting lucky.

Oh, as for the cop that is following you; think of it as your private security

Jul 2012
    northwest Indiana
    bounty hunter 101/505 ace 350
    37 times
    Metal Detecting
    Hey Miroku where you at? I am in Schererville indiana and looking to get a little farther out detecting. If your not too far we can meet and do some hunting together. Finds are tough around here, you really have to enjoy the hobby to stick with it. You probably will not find much, I have been at it about a year and have a jar half ful of kids jewelry(from playgrounds,schools) and a bunch of clad (cash lost and discovered) mostly pennies dimes, nickels. Nothing old, and I have been around, so if your looking for a big silver or ring find I would recommend returning your gear. Otherwise contact me on here (if not too far) we will do a hunt or go to the Indiana section at bottom of forum. Their are some other Indiana people looking to do hunts. Good luck what ever you do.

us
    Mar 2013
    Elkhart, Indiana
    Garrett Ace 250
    5 times
    Coin Roll Hunting
    I appreciate everyone's response! This site is always friendly I know I should spend time on it but with what time I have then me actually getting my butt out of bed to go hunt probably isn't what I was meant to do. I do like CRH though. I got 2 boxes of halves today and got 6 40% ones. Nothing fancy but it satisfies my silver hunter in me

us
    Jan 2013
    Tucson, Arizona
    Garrett ACE 150, ACE 350, Pro Pointer
    37 times
    Metal Detecting
    If you didn't spend a ton of cash on your equipment keep it and find someone to go hunting with you. I have had some horrible days too where all my son and I found are foot deep beer cans. I look at it as getting out of the house with the possibility of a cool find. Who knows, it could happen on your very next outing. Hang in there.

us
    Dec 2012
    Peshtigo, Wisconsin
    Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
    346 times
    Metal Detecting
    Metal detecting takes ambition and motivation to keep going. Stick with it and you will have both of those!

us
    Apr 2012
    Irving Texas and the beach
    Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
    414 times
    take your time, the finds will come as this spring begins to warm up, good luck

us
    Digitny

Jan 2013
    Cortlandt NY
    Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Miroku View Post
    I got my detector on Sunday and have been to a few parks and homes. Found mostly nails and random stuff. Was looked at funny by people in the park and had cops follow me. I didn't find anything at the homes I went to and I feel like it's a waste of time. My city isn't famous for anything in particular and I can't really travel super far. I guess I will stick with CRH. I am hoping to get a refund for my gear. I know I only used it for a few days and never expected to find anything awesome but was hoping for a wheat or something. I think because I have silver fever that I want to find everything. I love reading this forum and seeing what people pull from the ground.
    Keep in mind, those 5 minute videos you may watch on utube or wherever, are just small clips of a possible 5-7 hour hunt. It is really, in my opinion,.based on your mental fortitude. Your willingness to sometimes do whatever it takes to find what your looking for, if that means spending a couple hours a week at night researching, that's what you do. I was watching a new video by a young man who has been at this hardcore for years, he was removing stones from a well,..and after about 6 feet and a couple of hours he found nothing,He simply covered it up and moved on to another location. It's not always easy. .Good luck in your endeavors .

us
    Digitny

Jan 2013
    Cortlandt NY
    Minelab 305, Fisher CZ70 Pro, Garrett pro point
    43 times
    Quote Originally Posted by mammoth29 View Post
    I agree that you shouldn't get discouraged. I have been MD for just over a year now and my story is not a lot different from yours. I have found coin, but it was all clad and I knew it would be because I was searching in a sand pile where my local community does a money find for kids every year. I found exactly $1.25 and other than that I have found a TON of pull tabs, some washers, and some nails. I was ready to give up just like you are, but then I let the experts take my detector one day while we were camping.... my kids! My 13yr old boy and 9 yr old girl took my detector determined to find something. In about 20 minutes they come back all excited that they had found a dime; to my astonishment it was a 46 Rosie! All I can say is it re-kindled my excitement for detecting.
    Go kids!!!
    mammoth29 likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    NW Indiana
    NOx 800, ETrac, X1, AT Pro
    303 times
    Swinging the detector is only half of it. May not even be half depending on what it is your hoping to find. Without knowing where you are in Indiana it's hard to give advice about where to go. If your in Northern IN most of the cities have been used by MDer's for years. You may find clad coins and jewelry or (new drops) in city parks and tot lots, but most of this has already been cleaned up by those before you. As the weather gets nice the new stuff will begin again. If your looking for silver, doing the research is far more important than swinging the detector. Put yourself in a place with some history that dates back to the coinage your looking for is the best way to increase your chances. Your finds should reflect good research with the only variable being who if any has been there before you.
    Equinox 800, ETrac, Sunray X1, Pro/Ultimate/SEF 8x6 - AT Pro

Career Silver #44
    Vintage Coins
    No date- Draped Bust Large Cent(1790-1807)
    1846,ND - Braided Hair Large Cent
    1896s - Barber Half
    1905 - Barber Quarter
    1912,1913 - Barber Dime
    1875s,1887 - Seated Dime
    1900,1911,1911 - V Nickel
    ND,1915, 1935,1936 - Buffalo
    1864,1907 - Indiana Head
    1858 - Flying Eagle

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links