2 part Question..OldHomesteads

H

Holly_squirrel

I've asked before, but can't seem to find the post to look back on it. How again would one go about finding old homesteads? I had good suggestions about historic maps n such , but can't find that thread.
Ideally what I would like would be to go to a forest where I had a hint of an idea that there was indeed once a house... But have it be a place I don't need to ask permission. In person, I'm pretty shy initially. How do you find out if a patch of woods somewhere is owned by anyone? It seems around my way every inch seems to be owned by state or land preserves or private owners. Here is the thing with all tbe public preserved and such.... It gets past the metal detecting question, by posting on rules ( on line), ...Nothing is allowed to be disturbed, moved, removed , or in any way effected. Leave it as it is.... That's the jist of it. So obviously digging and removing anything is off limits.
I'm surrounded by incredible history and no where to dig! I blew it on a house I been lusting after. Built in 1760 ! Been on sale and vacant 2 years! Got tbe nerve to look up the realtor's number and saw it was now under contract:(

image-2370148055.jpg

I'm sick about it. I have always felt that place was suppose to be mine. I go sit in the driveway sometimes n just look at it. That's weird, lol... I know. The price was 94,000.... That's it.... That is dirt cheap for around here. It's got a moss covered wooden shingle roof and the windows are crooked from settlement. Anyhow , now strangers are buying my house... Lol.
Sorry, got side tracked. So here is my thing.. I absolutly can not get the nerve to go to a door and ask a owner if I could detect. That's way out of my comfort zone . It would ruin it for me to be watched while I hunt ... I prefer privacy. So I do have the guts to try asking a realtor over the phone.... What would be the most convincing way to broach the subject?
More than 2 part question . Sorry. 1. How to find old abandoned or no
Longer standing homes, by use of maps and such. 2. How to find if a patch of land is owned by anyone 3. How to talk to a realtor about detecting at a vacant property they have for sale.

Attachments

• image-1131398797.jpg
    image-1131398797.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 176
  • image-2388469654.jpg
    image-2388469654.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 172
Upvote 0

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Holly,
The United States Geological Survey makes topographic maps and they have historical ones as well and all of it is online and searchable. I just checked and they are there and searchable, takes some getting used to but they are there and available on line in PDF format..................63bkpkr

USGS Topographic Maps

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff Gordon.... "Ever notice how wise Hoosiers are? " Well Said! Jeff have you ever noticed Hoosiers seem to have an unrivaled amount of "Common Sense" as well? Common sense says You will be destined to nothing more than talk about metal detecting on this site or settle for overhunted public property until you overcome the fear of being told no more times than yes when asking permission to hunt private property.

By the way Holly here's a link to the first time you posted this question.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/346265-how-would-i-locate-old-homesteads.html
All you have to do is click on MY POST button in the tool bar at the top of the page and voila you can find all 490 something post you've made or threads you've started.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

Thanks everybody! Thanks sub chaser .. That sounds perfect

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO /Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is what I did in Arizona and will be doing in Montana. As I was younger my dad handed down old ghost town, lost gold mines, treasure, and Spanish history books and I dove in. The best information is in those books I think. Those kind of books are the only ones I will read and you can learn a lot. Pay close attention to the pictures in the book as you can usually pick out the background. It might be easier for me since I am in the mountains I can quickly recognize a mountain range in the back ground of a picture. I have found many old home steads with just foundations and old abandoned mines this way. Another is simply talk to old timers in the area or visit local treasure clubs. I hate clubs and since I am new to Montana I looked into it but they don't have any. I got lucky enough to post my videos on YouTube and people who have lived here have contacted me privately providing excellent information and history. You can sub to my videos by looking for my channels at the name of Butte Digger. I have some awesome subscribers that offer great information. Even if you put a quick video together with just words, you don't have to appear in them. Simply make up a power point of something and post it. Subscribe to other metal detecting and treasure hunter videos and they will provide you with useful information. So far I have received only positive feedback and everyone is really laid back and out going.
Hope this helps!

OP
OP
H

Holly_squirrel

I'm thinking the name Butt Digger tends to draw a more laid back crowd. Lol

buttedigger

Mar 31, 2013
Butte, MT
Detector(s) used
Garret AT PRO /Tesoro Lobo SuperTRAQ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol that's another reason why I picked it I thought it was hilarious so I tell everyone they can use butt digger

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread