fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
**this was originally posted specifically to Forum-Metal detecting, sub forum- Bounty Hunter machines. But after posting it in the "right" forum ive had 40 views and ZERO responses, which either indicates that no1 in that sub forum for Bounty Hunter machines has one, or has my model, or just dont give a shite. :icon_scratch:
No biggie but im new to this and have some questions......Maybe they're dumb questions, i dont know. Thats why im asking for help. Anyhow, ill quit B*^$&*#g and repost.

Ok yall, ive been MDing for about 6 weeks so far. I bought a discovery 2200 at a pawn shop for 40 bucks, it was missing battery cover and they thought it was missing the battery pack and cover. I told them since it was broke and no1 else was gonna buy it id give em 40 bucks cash out the door. I already knew it only took 2 9v and that i could just use duct tape till i found a cover replacement. I also bought a lonestar the next day for 60 as a back up. I dont like the lonestar as much. So ive been swinging the 2200 since and have found a lot of cool stuff, including silver already. Ive also bought a 4" coil for it. My mian questions are these, What will gold hit at usually with this unit. I hear everyone else talk about number read outs. Mine dosent have that, it has the ID ranges that itll pretty much tell you what kind of metal it could be. I was thinkng it hit at the IRON ID, but otheres talk about it coming up as pull tabs on their units. I get TONSSSSSS of iron hits everytime i detect at parks and schools in the main gathering ares, not so much out in the fields. So if it does hit at iron will it be a different tone but still show IRONThe other question is, How many of yall have had success with the 4" coils?? Im reluctant to put it on because ive found so much already with the 8". Ive thought about putting the 4" on the lower shaft of lonestar and just swapping out the lower shafts when neccesary and just using the 2200 machine. But when to use it, alot of places i hunt are trashy, but the WHOLE area isnt necessaraly, just around the trees and pavilions and stuff. So, do yall go on a full hunt just using 4" or do yall swap mid hunt depending upon terrain and conditions Any help would be appreciated

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lol, i already printed out both of them for both models and have read them. Trying to get advice from actual users and "real" life experiences. Not something that written by the manufacturer. they tend to either strecth the truth or give you bare minimum info. The manuals also do not state anything about the use of 4" coils. Thank you for taking the time and sending me the link though.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No problem :icon_thumright:

Ladies and gentlemen, due to this recent failure, I've decided to permanently close my work help desk. I'll go back to what I do best, leaving sarcastic remarks :laughing7:

OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I kinda thought your first reply was already sarcastic. :laughing9:
No problem :icon_thumright:

Ladies and gentlemen, due to this recent failure, I've decided to permanently close my work help desk. I'll go back to what I do best, leaving sarcastic remarks :laughing7:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FireFord I started with a BH 101 then upt to BH 505. Don't have any experience with the 2000but I might be able to answer some of your question. Assuming you have a digital screen that shows bar that lights certain cubes when a target is sensed I'm pretty sure you will not find gold when this scale shows iron. Basicly I looked at my 505 scale as a VDI w/o numbers. It's less specific than the ID numbers on a VDI screen. But you should be able to rely on it once you've dug enough targets real life and in a test bed. Gold should hit anywhere between just below a nickel up to and beyond pull tabs. Even with a VDI sceen, it's any bodies guess. The only way your going to be sure is dig it. Keep track of what the 2000 is telling you before you dig and lock that away. The only changes that will effect your results is when other variables change. Soil type (affecting ground balance), moisture, EMI, other trash in the ground and probably many more. It's not an exact science but the more you detect the better you should get.

OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oh cool., well i guess i should just dig it all. That will at least keep several spots open for me to detect because there is always an A$$ load of trash signals. LOL. Its always kinda depended on where im detecting to consider digging it all, sometimes i just have an hour and go faster by looking for coins only. BUUUT, i wont find any gold that way either, DANG IT lmao. My 2200 has a target ID bar on top, then digital arrow that lights up under what is "thinks" it is. I have no number readings, and its laid out like this pic. ..............ok so i went and got my detector and stole my wifes wedding rings and waved them in front and it targeted as a 5cent/PT. But i had done that when i first got it and thought it hit that way because its white gold and not yellow (i know, stupid right) so i can assume that yellow will hit the same. We dont have any yellow to test it.....poe folk here, lmao. With all that said I feel ive recieved my answer to first question.....now ,any 4" coil experiences out there???????

Attachments

• iphone march 2013 204.JPG
    iphone march 2013 204.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 153
OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LMAO. when i read your first reply about the manuals i was like "google?.........owners manuals?............NO ****!" HAHAHAHAHA. i knew you were trying to help while being a tad sarcastic. I imagined you reading my post and saying "wow, he can find his way here, join, post a thread...but the dumba$$ cant use google???" all in good fun! i love it

yelnif

Mar 2, 2013
ne okla
Detector(s) used
Tesoro vaquero
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fireford- hang in there- the smaller coils are meant to be used in 'trashy' areas. Because of the smaller area being detected, they offer better target separation than the larger coils. imho Think of the pointed icecream cone- this is basically the radiant pattern of your 4" coil, the deeper your target is, the smaller the area the detector is sampling therefore the slower you have to go to effectively search an area. This smaller detection area is really an advantage when it comes to "x"ing (pinpointing) your target. Most of the experienced MD'ists here recommend going over an area/or partial site with a larger coil (DD or concentric) to clear out the 'trash', then returning with a smaller 4" to 6" sniper coil to find the real treasures. One thing I have found is that when using my 5 3/4" coil (I have a Vacquero) I have to increase my swing rate to detect small targets. About twice as fast as I normally go with the 8"x9" coil. I can't explain this but it is what it is. HH... yelnif...

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my discrimination right at the level where it picks up some foil, particularly wadded up stuff, but won't hit on loose foil. Basically a step up from iron. You've got to keep it that low if you want to find the smaller rings in particular. So, yes, you pretty much have to dig everything.

OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks yall!! ill be trying the 4" this week in the area i found my silver...its soooo trashy there! maybe itll help me find my first ring, lol

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fireford, if you are looking for jewelry of all types, then you must keep your discrimination low. Many gold chains and earrings come in at the foil range.
Rings are a somewhat different story. Anything (including iron) in a complete loop will hit hard with a metal detector.
I believe it has to do with inductive coupling of the coil to the target that gives it a strong detectable phase shift.

Anyhow, a gold or silver ring laying flat will have a nice even sound. Silver rings will be in the clad quarter range while gold rings will generally be a little below a nickle up to the coin range.
Naturally some gold rings will be even lower, but very few will fall into that range. I'm not sure if your detector has variable pitch audio, but with practice you will be able to distinguish coin/ring sized objects from much larger trash like can slaw.
However, that can slaw could be a large silver jewelry, a silver half, or silver dollar. You don't need a high end detector to find jewelry because you must generally dig all to find it.
That means thousands of pull tabs, crown/screw caps, chunks of shredded can slaw, foil balls, etc. About 10% of the turf jewelry I have found was deep, the rest was in the grass roots 1-4 inches deep.

If you have rings, chains, etc....test them out to see how your detector responds. Only a ring will give you a signal that doesn't sound like it could be trash.

OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
LOOKY LOOKY who found some gold!!!!!!!!!! It hit at 5cent/pull tab IDs. 24" 14k ITALY chain. I was stoked. I told myself before i ever took detector out of the jeep that i was going to dig everything above IRON ID. This was my second hit at the school playground, while my kids were plaiyng today. still in awww. THANKS for all yalls help

Attachments

• april, zoo 005.JPG
    april, zoo 005.JPG
    748.4 KB · Views: 132
  • april, zoo 009.JPG
    april, zoo 009.JPG
    434.1 KB · Views: 144
  • april, zoo 010.JPG
    april, zoo 010.JPG
    397.1 KB · Views: 137
OP
OP
F

fireford10

Apr 4, 2013
Bossier City, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:BangHead::censored:.........................i regret to inform yall that this chain i found is a fake. A well stamped FAKE. ughhhh. thought i had me some cash coming my way. Oh well. ill hit it one day.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry to hear that! But don't be too disapointed, the person that lost it probably paid top dollar for the chain thinking it to be real.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry the chain was fake, we have all found our fake junk too. Glad someone helped with the 4 inch coil. I rarely visit the Bounty Hunter forum. Gold is alloyed with lots of other metals and this changes its conductivity. White gold is the lowest near foil and yellow gold is higher into the pull tab and nickel range. Even if you disc out iron you could lose a white gold ring with diamonds as the MD would only see the metal. A 4 inch coil will help you a lot if you leave it on for the full hunt in a trashy area as it will most likely have a better chance of only one target under the coil at a time. It is more sensitive to smaller targets and you should still over lap your sweeps to not miss anything. This is hard to do with a smaller coil as everyone wants to rush out swinging like a grass whip.

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I keep my discrimination right at the level where it picks up some foil, particularly wadded up stuff, but won't hit on loose foil. Basically a step up from iron. You've got to keep it that low if you want to find the smaller rings in particular. So, yes, you pretty much have to dig everything.
Good advice there. This brings one of my recent hunts and its results to mind. I recall an "Aluminum Cloud" I dug up not long ago. I think someone brought a whole turkey perhaps or a whole chicken to an outing at one time. Got this cloud of foil about 12 inches down and still had signals with pin-pointer found some very sharp glass by feeling the edges of it, but fortunately at the time I did not get cut. It turned out to be like 1/3 of a clear glass apple cider jug. Which was complete in the respect that it had a old rusty screw-cap on top still! Fast forward in time a bit on cleaning out trash in my 'Treasure Truck" was adding another item to the trash bag and the glass finally cut me when I put another item into the trash bag trying to get items to fit!:censored:

Hope you enjoyed my "Trashy Posting"!
CARM

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread