New needing advise

purcy

Greenie
Apr 12, 2013
north of Amarillo
Hey just curious what would be a good starting MD. Me and a friend decided to start looking for hidden treasures ect. Primarily will be way off the beaten path in rocky sandy type soil. Ideally we were trying to find some MD's that would read 3-4ft deep, but after doing some reading on here it seems like you might have to get a specialized machine for that. Were really not going to be in parks ect... I would think that buried treasure is going to be fairly deep right? Other than that we know where some homesites from the 1800's are and plan on searching around there for whatever we can find. We were leaning towards something like a garrett 350 or a tesoro that's in the same price range.

We are both new to this and excited to get out there and start searching! Our area is rich in history and just being out at some of these places is as exciting as the possibility of finding something.

Thanks in advance for any advise

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_vpnavy.gif
Trust me purcy - you will get a bunch of recommendations from member's - you have a tough decision ahead of you purcy. However, whatever you decide - I would recommend you buying from one of TN's Supporting Vendors.

Anyway, that is my three cents!
killingme.gif

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It all depends on your budget. A Minelab GPX 5000 (pulse induction) can get you deeper than any machine on the market for about $6,000.00. If you want good depth and the ability to discriminate, you'll need to spend $500.00 - $800.00.

Garrett AT Pro $595.00
Tesoro Vaquero $450.00
Minelab X-Terra 505 $550.00
Fisher F5 $500.00
Teknetics Gamma 6000 $500.00

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry gave you some good choices. If you are after large, deep targets (Caches) , you might look at Fisher Gemini III or Garrett GTI2500 with Eagle Eye Depth Multiplier.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Items 3 to 4 foot deep are out of depth range of regular detectors

you'll need a detector that accepts the 2 box coil system

Garrett GTI 2500 with Treasure Hound 2 coil system

Whites TM 808

Fisher Gemini III

are the most commonly used for deep cache hunting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, that's what you need for large target. They're worthless on coins and jewelry however.

OP
OP
P

purcy

Greenie
Apr 12, 2013
north of Amarillo
Thanks for all yhe advise so far. I'm looking in the 500 and below categories to start. Is there one that you can uprade as you get more experienced, or change coils when you think your near a cache? After reading more reviews I'm kinda leaning to a Tesoro or a Whites.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

donfrancis46

Mar 22, 2013
Alor Star, Kedah Darulaman
Detector(s) used
will be buying one in middle of June most probably Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking at all the suggestion for a this new member and thanks guys all the suggestions were very profound love you all thanks for all the suggestions I am newbie and just starting to learn about metal detecting and it is sad that here in Malaysia there is no club to support such activities and hopefully I could start one here maybe in the distant future

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread