Vintage Whites coinmaster 6000/D - Help

Vernoncollins

Apr 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vintage Whites' coinmaster 6000/D - Help

Hi

I am totally new to metal detecting, but is eager to start at my local beach in Cape Town, South Africa. I inherited a vintage coinmaster 6000 / D Push - button GEB discriminator from my late father. Everyting is set up, and I am ready to go, but find the original instruction manual difficult to understand. I would appreciate if someone can assist me with an easier version of how to operate this machine, eg. a video / some tips on general operating.

Eagerly awaiting a response.

Regards

Vernon

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
searched.gif
Until someone pipes in - You can find a bunch of information on the Metal Detecting > Forum > Brands > White's board. Here are a few hits...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
would help with pic.

Mine looked like this & was a series 2

6000d002.jpg index.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a good machine. Probably one of the best analog ones. I doubt it will do good in wet ocean sand but dry sand, parks, schools, etc, it works fine.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
That was a good machine for its day. And yes, it works ok on salt water beaches (even when getting into heavier minerals, so long as not jet-black minerals). However, the depth will be less than today's whiz-bang machines. Also you had to have a FAST swing in disc. mode, if you wanted to get deep. Your arm will be worn out swinging that thing :) A lot of guys made them into hip-mounts because of that. Which only lent to worn out chords over time ... doh! They are good on high conductor coins, but weak on lower conductors. So for example; even though a nickel is a physically bigger coin, you can get a dime (a smaller coin) deeper than a nickel EVEN on the lowest disc. settings.

The only difference than the "Di" had (Jeff's picture) verses the "D" is that they had a depth meter on that, if I'm not mistaken.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread