Do You Have a Favorite Coin?

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been hunting a long time, since the 60's. Have found buckets full of coins in that time dating back to the 1500's. A few gold, a lot of silver some very valuable. But what I believe was the best and probably rarest coin I found in 1970 in a saw dust pile of a abandoned saw mill in Oregon. I was talking with an old timer then who had worked there before it shut down in the early 30's during the depression. Our conversation lead me to the remains of one of several sawdust piles the crews would take there breaks on. There I found around 50 coins. Several of the coins where indian heads and one of them was a 1909-s. I carried that coin around for 40 years with several 'experts' telling me it was a fake. In 2010 a dealer collector and president of the local coin club looked at it and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. We agreed on the price if it graded out. He paid for the grading and it came back VF36. End of story.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread