Fisher 1280x aquanaut advise and thoughts please :)

drink

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2013
Amherstburg, ON
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing has really changed on those machines since being built (as far as improvements in the operating aspect).

$400 for a "like new" is a little high for one of those machines. If you can get it for $325 or so you'd be doing good.

The bad thing with those specific models is - they only have *1* tone (it's basically a beep & dig water machine) that beeps in 1 tone no matter which type of metal/target you pass over (and therefore) you have no way to tell if the target is iron or aluminum or gold or nickel or copper or silver, brass, etc. etc. unless you disc. out certain metals but then you lose depth AND miss certain targets that may fall within the range of metal you have disc'ed out.

I can't believe they still sell those machines new and haven't phased them out in all these yrs! The CZ20 was (and the CZ21 is) a WAY better machine that I know they have sold far more of than those machines. Honestly - I don't see them being around much longer. No one likes a *1* tone machine anymore unless you're truly "old school" and know what you're doing/like that type of machine.

I wouldn't recommend it for "beginners" as most of them would want to wrap it around a tree after the 1st time out with it!

Just my .02

HH :skullflag:

OP
OP
D

drink

Tenderfoot
Apr 10, 2013
Amherstburg, ON
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts lonewolfe, interesting points. Does anyone else have any input or advise??

Cheers

B~

rrybak

Jan 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your thoughts lonewolfe, interesting points. Does anyone else have any input or advise??

Cheers

B~

I checked one out last year. I called Fisher and found out it was not water proof like the new ones

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Look at a Tesoro Tiger Shark. The 1280 does not have ground balance. $400 is too high. You can do better on Ebay. Be leary of buying used underwater detectors. Call Tom at Miller MDZ, he is one of our sponsors, for not much more he can set you up with something new with a warranty. Both the Tiger Shark and 1280 are only good for freshwater.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just the statement "older version" and the fact that it is a water machine would be enough to steer clear of buying. I bought a like new condition older version Tiger Shark with interchangeable coil once. The coil failed the first time I submerged it to 10' underwater. I spent another $250 to replace coil.
I agree with RainyDay on the Tiger shark unless you are going to hunt saltwater.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2013
Excelsior, mn
Detector(s) used
2 fisher 1280x
garrett ace 250
finally bought me a garrett at pro...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own one and would sell it for 275.00....excellent condition with case...

Gary

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are waterproof to 200 ft. not many are at that depth.you can have them upgraded from the factory.it will perform better with the new coils.yes its a one tone detector that only shows you a target.if digging is to much work you shouldnt be in this hobby.digging in sand is not hard compared to parks.and digging most targets will get you far more of the good stuff than not digging because you dont think its worth digging.if you can get it at no more than 350 max,its worth it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread