Question.....

History_Digger

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2013
Lorain County, OH
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace350 and Propointer
I am using an Ace350 and am happy with it. I wish it showed VDI but it is what it is. I get a lot of bell tones indicating something in the quarter range at say, 4-6 inches but when I pinpoint it shows it at 2 inches. I dig and find an old can or can top at 6 inches. Why is it showing 2 inches on the pinpoint? Is it because the target is so big? Also, is it a safe bet that if it shows 2 inches and I am to 6 and still haven't found anything that the target is a big piece of junk? I don't mind digging. I dig just about everything anyway because it drives me crazy not knowing what it is.

Upvote 0

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
similer with mine. i go by original depth before pinpointing.often pinpoint mode shows a shallower depth. target and its position is a factor in accuracy.any thing shallow i use propointer before beginning a retrieve. just as icon suggests likely possibility of i.d.,depth is an estimate. more than several times when digging beyond original depth shown i had moved original target,to side of hole or missed it in plug and was chasing another with hand held pinpointer often off center of hole. H.H.

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
reading_01.gif
You might also consider browsing Sub-Forums: Garrett for additional information...

OP
OP
H

History_Digger

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2013
Lorain County, OH
Detector(s) used
Thanks. I checked there and there is a thread along the same lines. I guess my question is more of a general "Is this how it is?" Kind of question. I'm not doubting the Garrett or thinking it is brand specific. Like I said though, ultimately I suppose it isn't that big of an issue since I am digging almost everything. I just want to clarify what I am looking for.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know with my AT Pro the depth isn't that accurate. You ahve to take into consideration the dpeth between the coil and the ground too. That counts.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Target size really affects the depth reading. A full sized pop can at 8" can read similarly to a coin at 2" or less. I believe the signal strength is how the MD interprets depth. One thing to note when pin pointing, if you're still getting a strong hit 4" away from center, chances are its a larger target. A coin size target's signal should start to diminish an inch or so to either side of the DD coil's center hotspot. HH

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every detector works that way, even the most expensive ones. Raise your coil 4-5 inches above the target and sweep again. If its still reading strong it's a pop can or large piece of metal.

OP
OP
H

History_Digger

Tenderfoot
Apr 14, 2013
Lorain County, OH
Detector(s) used
Awesome. That is kinda what I figured, I just wanted to make sure. I have figured out that when its reading 2 inches and I am 6 inches into digging, no good usually comes from that. Thanks guys. I love this place. 👍

olfacere

Feb 22, 2013
Georgia, US
Detector(s) used
Tesoro MicroMax Silver
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is an old problem. The best trained ear and the best computer out there will both sometimes mistake a large, deep object for a small, shallow object. The Ace 350 is at least somewhat (but only somewhat) honest with its visual readout. Note that the depth indicator is labeled as the "Coin Depth" indicator. In order to provide a depth estimate, the computer assumes that the object is something similar to a coin. If it is a coin, then it should be at about the depth indicated. If it's not a coin, then all bets are off. If the object is really big, it will read as shallow even when it's 12" deep. Some more sophisticated systems try to compensate for this, but there is no system that does so perfectly.

It seems that everyone eventually reaches the same answer anyway. Trust your ears and distrust the computer (visual display).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread