Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Shoulda stayed -- he didn't tell you to leave! I would have stayed until someone told me to leave.

Well ....... not so sure about that. While it may be true there was no rule saying the OP couldn't hunt at a particular place, yet ..... that "codes officer" *could* come up and morph something else to apply to his activity. Harming earthworms, cutting a grass blade, or whatever. So I would not parade myself in front of lookie-lous who are in a position of authority. I mean why swat a hornet's nest? Or at a very minimum, if I have someone watching me who I perceive might gripe, that's when I only chase a few shallow zincs (with a poke from a screwdriver to pop up in a 5 second dig), till they loose interest, and move on.

OP
OP
jimzz977

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well changing my days went I go hunting ill going early sun when there no one around and I can hunt comfortable . No code officer they are off on the weekends

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Well changing my days went I go hunting ill going early sun when there no one around and I can hunt comfortable . No code officer they are off on the weekends

Precisely. I've gotten to where I hunt parks (turfed parks anyhow) at odd-hours too. There's just no escaping the connotations that a guy-with-a-metal-detector has. It draws lookie-lous, who ask themselves "gee will he leave a mess?" Or "gee, is he *digging*?" and so forth. Hence, detecting in turf is a little like nose-picking: a bit of discretion of your timing is in order.

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you should of went up and talk to him. you never know you could of made a friend.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ....... not so sure about that. While it may be true there was no rule saying the OP couldn't hunt at a particular place, yet ..... that "codes officer" *could* come up and morph something else to apply to his activity. Harming earthworms, cutting a grass blade, or whatever. So I would not parade myself in front of lookie-lous who are in a position of authority. I mean why swat a hornet's nest? Or at a very minimum, if I have someone watching me who I perceive might gripe, that's when I only chase a few shallow zincs (with a poke from a screwdriver to pop up in a 5 second dig), till they loose interest, and move on.
Yup, make it as benign and boring as possible and they will lose interest in ever coming back or giving you a second thought. It works with pesky kids too! :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I must live in a different country. I see and talk to city workers and officials occasionally and have detector in hand. How else to promote the hobby. You going to let boom baby represent you? I do believe you should try to hunt on off hours, and just become part of the scenery. But the guy was giving you a hard look. You needed to not back down. Codes in our town has his worked cut out for him. Years back I used to set up, tear down, and move mobile homes. They dont like em called trailers, so we will call them Manufactured Homes. Since any one with a truck big enough was moving 30 year old houses without the permits and taxes paid and such. My boss received about 150 write ups one day by a new codes enforcement. Only about 10 of them was his, and the guy was dinging him for wrong type of nail, or a piece of gutter missing that the wind blew off after installation. The codes guy was making a name for himself. Eventually he caught the other half dozen folks who were not insured and getting permits and stuff and he and my boss became friends. I have one moment I will never forget, I was installing a house and a lil old lady came over and asked if I could look at her toilet. She described the problem and I knew the sewer line was improperly installed so the toilet would not flush and the washer would back up into the tub. It took me 5 minutes, and 2 hangers to fix the problem. I never seen anyone ever so happy about a toilet flushing. I do the same with our hobby, I make friends. I make it a point to make conversation and know the rules. The parks people will help you, it kind of gets boring on the end of a rake if you see where I am going. I also present gifts of my finds, to anyone who would take the courage and walk up and talk to me about detecting. I dont want boom baby and roundness in the hole to be what people think of me. I would like to think I have a small foot print on the environment and have a green hobby. Loosening the soil is good for the grass, and removing all those metals from the ground is good for the ground water. What I really need is a foil magnet. I have a great foil detector, but I want a strong foil magnet that can pull foil for me lol. I see the same folks almost every day at the park I like to go. You will see the codes guy again for sure. Go up and make conversation, like is he hiring or what his job pays. Let him bring the detector in the convo.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
casca, I agree with what you're saying, if a public official walks over to to us. Then in THAT case, you would be doing a dis-service (perpetuating an "up to no good" persona), to start walking away (or hide, or some other such silly act). But when it's just someone watching (as if .... "they're thinking" about what you're doing, or what it entails), then by going out of your way to walk over to them and start chit-chatting, may not turn out the way you're thinking. I know you THINK that a friendly jesture like that will be an "opportunity" to explain what you're doing, how you do it, what you've found and ..... "how you'll leave no holes", etc.. I wish it were that simple. But on the contrary, it can turn out the other way. By going up to "talk about your hobby", can lead to a "connect -the-dots" conversation you didn't want to happen. You know, a situation where ..... he wasn't going to talk to you (didn't feel it compelling enough to walk over your way), yet when you go over to him, he can just as easily say "you can't dig". I don't know about you casca, but that is something that .... if you ask me .... is better left un-charted with NO talk along those lines. I mean, sure, it can go the way you're thinking. But it can also go the other way. So if a person can avoid ANY such communication (ie.: the less visibility the better, the more bored they are watching you, the better), then why not that option?

If I ever see a cop slow down and watch me, or a gardener put down his rake and watch me, ...... no, that's not the time I waltz over (so he's sure to see my digger now when I get close). On the contrary, that's the time when I swing only (no retreivals), or only stop to catch a shallow clad. Odds are, they eventually figure it's innocuous and move on. But yeah, if they come my way, then the "lines" are exactly as you say, and hopefully results are as you say.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nothing like chasing a 10 inch signal when you look up and someone is coming to see what you are digging up, if I have a 5 second warning I will put the dirt back in as quick as I can just so they don't see the armadillo hole and freak out. The pro pointer has put an end to a lot of armadillo holes since I started using it. Man I love that thing! I will not dig real deep signals if anyone is watching. just mark it and come back to it. I will usually lay a stick in the spot or simply x it with my digger.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I would stop and dig, and look up and 5 kids were standing there. Moms was running through the park yelling for them to come on........one lil boy couldnt talk, he would just mumble.....omg I was loosing it, but I was nice, no one stepped on the coil, and they all got some silver clad out of it. That lil boy who couldn't talk will haunt me for life. Whats funny, I could almost understand him. I have been finding some weird stuff in the tot lots lately too, anyone else finding industiral sized bolts and pieces of metal? I dont go out of my way to tal to folks, but do try to build up the hobby. Most folks want to know what the detector cost, or if i have found any gold. I was recently in Ohio and could not believe they do not let folks enjoy the park. Our state parks system was going bankrupt last I checked, no one goes as fees went up and so dig the rules. If it gets much worse looks like only park personnel will be allowed in. I live in a good state thank goodness. Nope they want me out of the city park, no worrys, I got a 1000 other places to hunt. I really think there is more going on than folks just owning a detector if you are asked to leave. Except if you live in Florida, that is one backwards state for sure. Not sure why we keep it, it produces nothing, manufactures nothing, and has some of the worst laws on the books. Oh they cant count either, lol I will never for get that one. I think the hobby is like everything else. It will get looked at, then people will forget about us. Im gonna keep diggin till I find what Im looking for. I got a back light on my detector if necessary lol. No, codes shouldn't have anything to do with a city park. But make sure you got a permit and dont dig holes over 3" inches if you come here. I dont think that is too much to ask of me. I dont really think the park wants to kick anyone out that is behaving. But I was taught if a officer ask you to leave, you leave. I can understand how you dont want to walk up to folks in California and start talking, lol. Tom is right. Those folks living under bridges and such, makes you wonder how they got that way. In Texas, they will shot ya so best know what is private property and what is not. Some folks dont understand about private property. Some folks dont want you there. No I want to see where he can dig now.

Digger2

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2013
Vacherie Louisiana
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS,Garrett AT Pro, GTI 2500 ,
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett pointer
Garrett Pro Pointer
Detectorpro Uniprobe

Vibra-tector 730
Vibra-Probe 580
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shoulda stayed -- he didn't tell you to leave! I would have stayed until someone told me to leave.
Yep, my feelings also. He probably was just curious, otherwise he probably would have approached you and told you to leave.

Roy

nailbender1

Tenderfoot
Feb 8, 2013
central ohio
Detector(s) used
fisher2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swing a ball park yesterday,pulled a lot of clad (a 1921 silver dollar too!)park is onlt 20 yr.oldCan't wait to go back,I was circling the aera around whenI glanced over & saw a city cop sitting 200 yrds.(probly runnin radar on traffic)My first thought was am I allowed here,next i wondered how long was he there,was he watching me etc.I pulled 9 guarters & Miss .coins in 1.5 hr.I started swinging away from the aera I found the silver dollar,not diggin much heading towards the truck,Glanced over,he was gone,My thinking,does he maby detect himself,and is this a good place for him to go to himself,
I have been swingin my 200 yr.old place for a yr,havnt found any silver,the park shows promise,willl keep u posted

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you leave on your own you can hunt again another day. If he tells you to leave, what excuse will you use if you get caught there again by the same person?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

I have to agree with you. Three times when my attention was on my hole, I looked up to a police officer telling me I was trespassing. And that's why I quit detecting in '89 and have returned now, very conscious of the laws and regulations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread