Advice for detecting a baseball field.

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This might seem like an obvious question, but need some advice. The park I've been hitting has a baseball field thats been there for 50+ years and it's BIG. I'm not sure if it's still in use, so i concentrated around the bleachers which are only down the first base line. Not much goin on there. Some clad, but not much. Should i start detecting the outfield? Right field is adjacent to the rest of the park, left field, is again a hillside with no bleachers where the park ends. Hard to think outside the box when the box is huge!

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jay

Upvote 0

mmelugin

Feb 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ball field I hunt is around the same age too and has been reconfigured a few times. What is bleachers noe used to the outfield and home plate was deep center. I find some old stuff out in the field as well as newer clad and jewelry too. So check it all out. Ask someone who has been around where there might have been old bleachers. Good luck

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
check the hill side in left field,where people would sit and watch

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't hunted a lot of BB fields, but those I have tend to turn up some goodies. I found a gold ring under the "dug out" bench...among dozens of pull tabs. Snagged a nice silver spinner in LF of another field. I also got clad, an elongated cent, an old chain, part of a mid-century padlock, and a couple of cars out of that field. I also found one cool, around 50 years old, dog tag in another BB field. It's easier if it's surrounded by a fence so you can use that as a guideline while hunting. But as the member above mentioned, I'd probably hit the hill first. Break it up into sections to make it easier. Don't forget behind home plate and the infield.

As far as bleacher areas. I personally have never had any luck in this area. But others have. So include that in your searches.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would need location with Cross streets, to do it for ya so here ya go.
I use this site religiously. I even refresh My memory here before each hunt

Penn Pilot Photo Centers 1937 to 1942 Era
1957 - 1962 era
and 1967 to 1972 era Arials check 'em all out & compare

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the info! I'll have to re-read these posts when i get to work. LoL

One thing i should have described better. When i said, hill, it should have been "near vertical cliff up to the high way."

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jay, don't forget the area between pitchers mound and home plate.
I don't have much luck at ball parks, but I have found a couple rings in that location at an old grass diamond.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I did previous research regarding this park, plus I live 5 minutes away and have been going there as long as I remember. Here are two aerial views. The first from 2006, the second from 1959. There are older photos, but the details are blurred. The reason I posted this question origninally was to see if the field could produce finds. It could take quite awhile to go over the entire thing, but that's ok too, if it's worth hitting. Jeff, I've never heard of that site before, I'll have to check it out later today along with the other suggestions.

Attachments

• BBField_1959.jpg
    BBField_1959.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 140
  • BBField_2006.jpg
    BBField_2006.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 134

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if it's the Field I think the Hill would be loaded with Trash from Vehicles.
and is probably so Grown up it's un-detectable ?

Untitledww.jpg

Looks like in 1939 diamond may have been east end of field ?

Going by location on curve :dontknow:

also appears to have rows like a farmers field ?

Untitled1939.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, its def the same field. The oldest photo i found was 47, but bad resolution. Good detective work LoL. And that image now makes me real curious, thank you for posting. Is it from the site you posted earlier?

Now i'm sure this park has been detected hundreds of times, but i enjoy it there and will be investigating left field.

Thanks again

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, its def the same field. The oldest photo i found was 47, but bad resolution. Good detective work LoL. And that image now makes me real curious, thank you for posting. Is it from the site you posted earlier?

Now i'm sure this park has been detected hundreds of times, but i enjoy it there and will be investigating left field.

Thanks again

Yes Penpilot Arial

Good Luck !

cooper1841

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2012
S.E. Michigan.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equnox 800... 2 Garrett Pro Pointers, Lesche, and an 18" mini-T- handle and a 31 inch Samson digging tools
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I even use Penn-Pilot, in Mich. I love it!:icon_thumright:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would grid the whole area. Might take you a while but so what? I've found the highest concentration of finds to be along the foul lines, bleachers, snack bar, dugouts, pitcher's mound, home plate area, and the strip of ground from the base lines to shallow outfield. This seems to the best for me. My thinking is that it's an area where players are running, diving, sliding, and colliding with other players the most. I'd also check that bank between the road and left field. Probably pretty junky but I'd hit it hard to see what is under the modern stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread