AT haters.

TempUserName

Mar 31, 2013
Midwest
Detector(s) used
Beep Beep Dig Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not everyone is going to like every machine or every brand. Get over it.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well well well, I don't hate the AT Pro, I think it is a good machine. Proof is in the pudding. The fact it is half the price of my detector doesn't bother me a bit. Its the whiny sound it makes, I just could never get used to that. Whiny detectors are for whiners.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldnt see why people would hate garretts
th.jpeg

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection Dstytrails, yes Im sure the park is now ready for meeeee.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what us garrett users do ...we go in and clear the way for the real metal detectors theres no bottle cap too big or small it sniffs out them all lol

Ausgoldhunter

Mar 2, 2013
Batemans Bay
Detector(s) used
Currently: White's GMT, Fisher Gold Bug 2. Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Fisher Gold Bug SE, Fisher F70, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab X-Terra 705, Minelab Eureka Gold, Whites GMZ, Minelab GP Extreme, GP 3000, Mine
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't hate my AT pro, or AT Gold, but they sure as hell were not worth the $ paid for them... the pro died in under 11 days... and the AT Golds coil was faulty on arrival.. garrett were fantastic, and replaced/repaired them within 2 weeks.

The problem with a popular detector is that people will believe the hype and flat out bulls!@#..... I had a guy tell me he detected a silver threepence which is a 16mm coin at 17 inches.. with the AT Pro with stock coil. anyone using common sense would call LIES immediately... or the guy from my detecting club, who told me he detected a Gold Sovereign, 22mm coin at 19-20 inches with the AT Gold 8.5x11 coil..

point being, Hype becomes a lie, and people buy the lie... and get pissed off when the machine doesn't live up to the hype...
I don't know of a VLF detector that is able to punch down 20 inches and get a solid hit or any hit at all on a 22mm target.... Hell my SD2200 would have a hard time reaching down 20" and hitting that..

Its hard to filter bullshit, when thats all you hear/read

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ausgoldhunter, I can make you a video. I just dug a penny at elbow depth in the sand at a tot lot. I don't own a AT Pro but saying there are detectors out there that can hit 20" inches on a coin. Is it common, no, I don't normally run in all metal mode. But you are correct, you never see a bottle cap in any of the ads. But we all dig em. One of the reasons your At Pro may have been a dud is sound. Being able to adjust the sound to ones own hearing is really important for a deep digging machine. My understanding is you get three tones, no threshold on the AT Pro. Also for the price, you are getting what you pay for. Its a real good beginners machine. I may get one just for hunts I cant use my F75, as it is too sensitive to EMI in some locations. Its would just be easier to buy a dumbed down machine for that fine hair trigger setting on my F75. Unfortunately, how may guys say, I really hate my detector as it does this and cant do that? You are at least honest, and most likely owned a better detector than the AT Pro in the first place. But I will say this, I don't care what detector you own, if you don't put a few sets of battery's in it, you don't know it. I don't think folks hate the At pro, its the wild claims and post that go on every day. When I see a really good find, I always smile and say to myself, "If I only could have searched behind him". I am considering making videos for beginners on what the difference is on a few of the brand name detectors. Why you pay more for a little more. Those digger shows probably run a fisher or minelab to locate the targets before they film a AT Pro finding it lol.

UPDATE: I recently prchased a AT Pro with the 5x8 coil. Yo already know the results.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't call it "Hatin" I call it spoiled or satisfied with what they got :icon_thumright:

But Rock on 8-)

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff said in one sentence what I couldn't in a paragraph. Yes I am very spoiled.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only people I've seen bash on the AT Pro were previous users that were dissatisfied.
I can't say one way or the other about the AT Pro/Gold. It seems like a fine detector based on what I've read here.
I can say this.... Many people with the low cost/low end detectors make "class envy" insults toward those with more expensive detectors.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The next time you have a thought, let it go.

That's funny! I don't agree, but a funny comment!

Don't Hate.... Appreciate!

badpenny

Mar 28, 2013
NE PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No one can ever be happy with them all. I can honestly tell you I dug a stainless ring with my ATPRO at 14" believe it or not; I did. The soil was clay like and wet, I was about to give up but decided to keep digging because the machine told me something good was there and it was. Do I think it is the best machine out there? Hell no, but it works for me. As for those bottle caps, sure I dug a few, only after I called them before I dug just to keep my hearing sharp and they were Piel's Beer bottle caps too. I guess this was the beer of choice around here? I don't know. Bottom line for me anyway is learn your machine, learn its tones and you'll dig some nice treasures. I plan on digging some today, I'll let you know if I find anything good, or just more Piel's Beer caps.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had full intention to buy an atpro this past winter till I watched vids on youtube. The type of tones it made annoyed me more than my ace did.

Doc-USN(Ret)

Feb 24, 2013
Lexington, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking at several machines before I bought my AT Pro. I was looking at the Whites line and kept looking and looking and reading reviews. I finally decided on the ATP because it did (or the reviews said) it did everything I wanted it to and was looking for. So for me, the ATP was the way to go. Another factor, CASH! Didn't have loads to drop but for 549 US dollars and no sales tax at the Navy Exchange, the ATP was mine. So far, it seems to be everything it is supposed to be. I'm very happy with it. I am also sure I would have been happy with a 1200 dollar machine if I had the money. LOL Happy Hunting.

Doc

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can say this.... Many people with the low cost/low end detectors make "class envy" insults toward those with more expensive detectors.
Agreed but the same holds soooo true about "some" of the high cost detectorist class bashing the AT Pro. Tit for Tat. I'm so tired of hearing this type of bantering and I'm just a newb. Who gives a crap what I run. I'm tickled to death with the performance. Deepest find was just yesterday 1864 IH at measured 12", and I think it's got more cause it wasn't a faint tone. Really tired of hearing some talk about "all the Pro will find is bottle caps". Oh yeah I've dug a few myself but "MOST"of us learn how not to real quick. Guess some are just slow learners. I have and never will bash the high end machines. Now some are even referring the AT line to "beginners models". Really?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread