hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late 1800's School Site Finds.

I've been researching a late 1800's school site for about a month. Found the owner and he said OK. Spent almost five hours there today and I didn't want to leave. The building was built around 1890 and was multipurpose it was used for the school, church and any community gatherings that happened. I don't know how long it's been gone but I'm pushin 60 and it's always been a farm field as long as I've known. Several first for me today and all I did was a Recon for coins. I have to believe there's more to be found.

1864 Indiana Head (my first IH and oldest coin to date)

1911 V Nickle (first V Nic)

XX23 Buffalo (first for me)

Flat Buttons, 41 Merc, Mini Pad Lock

10 GA shot shell bases and round ball (buck shot)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector_searching.gif
Great finds hunter_46356!

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And you found it with a Bounty Hunter. You do not want to share this site as it is what I call virgin ground. You have a bad day detecting, you can always return here and make up for it. I have my happy places so I am never skunked. I have been hunting two years and have not found anything you posted yet Im aware of. I need a tumbler to clean my coins, maybe that will reveal some keepers. But great hunt.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The finds were made with my AT Pro, and this site can't be shared per the owner. I'm durn lucky to be there myself. I have to give his wife any arrow head points I may find. That's all they've ask for. I have given the copies of all the research I've done on their property. I seriously think this is why they have allowed me to hunt the farm. There are two maybe three older sites (1800/1820) on their farm as well.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very lucky indeed. I seen bounty hunter in your profile. How long have you used the AT Pro? How do you like it? From your finds I bet you have no complaints.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pro is an awesome machine, target separation is unbelievable, almost everything I dug today was sharing the hole with several other metals.It would be hard to pick up the BH any more

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Pro is an awesome machine, target separation is unbelievable, almost everything I dug today was sharing the hole with several other metals.It would be hard to pick up the BH any more
Yes I change the battery's in my Bounty Hunter once a year and usually just do a nail search in the driveway every 6 months. It seems Garret is doing something right.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome! I want a spot like that. Can you share how you were able to locate the old buildings?

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought a book written by a local historian several years ago. Bought it more for support of his efforts than for me at the time. Picked it up a couple months ago and started reading. There were no maps included in the book but found several on line that date back to the 1800's. Stories in the book led me to a farm still owned by the family listed as settlers of the area written about in the book. From the early 1800's to 1893 four buildings were used for various gathering by those settlers, school, church, holiday gatherings and such. The road they talked about where the last building was confused me. No road exist there today. Talking to the present family and the farmer who leases it to farm, led me to find out the road had been removed in the mid 50's as part of an agreement with the county for a trade for property to be used for a cemetery. This also allowed better use of the field. When talking with guy who farmed the land he took me to a spot they are always turning up red brick and large stone. I have one picture of the building with no landmarks in it, but this was an obvious starting point. The building was of wood construction but the foundation was brick in the picture. This land has been farm land for as long as I remember so I don't know when the building was lost or torn down and I've found no writings to date to know. It has been over two months since I actually started the research. The last month has been talking with the owner and farmer who farms it. I knew I needed to be very careful how I went about asking permission as the farmer leasing the land explained the owner could be very questionable of people in general. Hunters trespassing on this farm has been a previous issue. When first contacting the owner I ask if he could find time to talk to me about the history of his family and the land. I really think I gained some respect since I was able to offer him some information about his family history he was not even aware of. When I finally ask the question he never even hesitated and only ask that I give his wife any Indian artifacts I may find. I agreed. The historical book I used was published in very limited quantities and I'm currently trying to find one last book to give the owner. My hope is to keep the relationship going and convince him to allow me to possibly find one or more of the older sites. Sorry for the long winded response but this has truly become an Obsession that is starting to become real.

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something that may have confirmed this site as being a school at one time is a response I've had on the "What is it" forum where I posted this picture, since I wasn't sure what I had found. A responder suggested they were inkwell lids used in the day. They would have had been attached to a metal lid on a glass jar and set a hole of a child's school desk.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great research and happy hunting. Looks to be a great summer for you.

dougofpa

Banned
May 18, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is one cool site to search...be sure to grid one way and then grid the other.

Nice finds indeed...congrats

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hunter_46356 , You've gone about this site very expertly locating historical info., piecing it all together, talking with the farmer & owner of the land and being honest with all of them. You deserve a pat on the back as well as all the wonderful items you've found and will find there. Have a great Season!..................63bkpkr

MT_Joe

Feb 22, 2013
Ferndale, Montana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Other
Hunter, your in this for the same reason I am - research and discovery of the history of a place and it's people. The MD part is just icing on the cake. You definitely went about gaining the trust of the farmer and owner the right way by showing that you were interested and excited about his family and the properties' past. I have been doing genealogy for many years for the same reason. Love that thrill of discovery!

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something that may have confirmed this site as being a school at one time is a response I've had on the "What is it" forum where I posted this picture, since I wasn't sure what I had found. A responder suggested they were inkwell lids used in the day. They would have had been attached to a metal lid on a glass jar and set a hole of a child's school desk.
http://s77.photobucket.com/user/hunter_46356/media/Metal Detecting/UnknownEbertSchool.jpg.html

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/hunter_46356/media/Metal Detecting/Inkwell.jpg.html

I just read ur posts on how & how much u dedicated ur time in the history of the place ur hunting good for you excellent job keep the pics of the finds coming best of luck to u

OP
OP
hunter_46356

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I could post some more pic Christo but the field was planted shortly after I posted the last of mine finds there. I will be back after they pick the crops and probably in the spring too. The farmer actually chisel plowed this field, something that most don't do round here any more. (No till planting) Hopefully there's more and turning the soil sure won't hurt. Thanks for all the comments and Good Luck to all. Remember Research pays off. Hunter

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess your post goes to prove the point the oldtimers on here try to drive home: Research! Your acts of kindness in regards to the owners will probably be a great investment in more ways than one. Super hunt and I hope it's only the tip of the iceberg. I enjoy seeing someone succeed when they appear to be good ambassadors for our hobby. Thanks you guys, for posting pics of those ink well lids. I would never have known what they were.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions