Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you post some more details... legislative item number, local politicians that are for and opposed to this law. Numbers or emails that those who want to fight this kind of stuff can use to contact them.
Thanks for the heads up!
Bunker

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Brevard County Florida is trying to sneak a new law through that would stop all digging of holes on the beach. We need to ban together and fight this. It's just another way to stop metal detecting. The don't care that we fill in our holes and often remove dangerous garbage from the beaches.

I think you are mis-interpretting the intent of any such thing, if it's even there. For example: there was also one-such law on the books for a beach in So. CA. Eg.: "no holes" or something. And sure enough, just like you're doing here, some md'rs saw this, and immediately assumed this applies to us md'rs too. AS IT TURNS OUT, it was nothing of the sort. It had to do with a death(s) that had occured when kids digging large cavities like sand-caves, had had the caves collapse in, and bury a kid(s). The kids suffocated and died, etc... Thus has nothing to do with every-day "sand-castle" variety of digging, or metal detecting digging, etc...

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro
If anyone has any factual information on the actual bill or item that is being considered by the Brevard County Commission, I would appreciate a post that has details or a link to it. Tom_in_CA, you may be right, some may be misinterpreting. I would like to read the item so I can interpret it for myself. This could be serious if what Hangingfor8 says is true. Hangingfor8 got any more information on this?

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

And if the "bill" is un-clear about the size of holes (like if it only said "big" holes, yet wasn't specific on what size that means), it is better left un-clarified. The LAST thing you want to do is go ask "does this mean metal detecting holes?", to simply give them a matter of pressing concern, to say "no you can't dig holes metal detecting either", when it was/is entirely possible, as I say, md'ing was not meant to be looped into something like this, nor would anyone have cared or noticed.

I suppose if it was clear and just said "any and all holes", then even then, here's what I'd do (if I were there): Go ask the powers-that-be:

"Hi. My family will be at the beach on July 4th. My 7 yr. old daughter is bringing her sand pale to play in the sand (build sand-castles, etc...). Will that be ok, even if it entails 'digging' on her part?" :laughing7:

Naturally they will answer: sure go ahead. Then if anyone asks, you got "permission" to dig "small holes" ever-more-thereafter.

But as I say, I doubt this applies to us, or 7 yr. olds building sand-castles. It's probably just like the So. CA thing, which was to prevent sand-cave cave-ins.

cubicleking

Jan 24, 2013
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT, Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ditto, sorry kids no more sand castles.

Need more information, I live in this county. Didn't see anything on county website, still searching.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions