Shell casing ID help

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everyone, spend an hour or so today detecting around a relatives house. The house dates to about the early 1900's and is the same house my mother grew up in. I found a plethora of Mason jar lids, the top of what appears to be an old compact and a shell casing stamped RA 54.

It looks very similar to a .32, but has longer brass. Also found a wheaty and clad, but the casing has me intrigued.

Any info would help

Jay

Upvote 0

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a good time was had...

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like a good time was had...

Anytime i can get a few swings in is a good time. I was absolutely dumbfounded with the lack of coins though. Its never been detected and yet, it was hard even finding clad.

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a guess w/o a pix but if it's about and 1-1/4" to 3/8" probably 30 cal. Military rounds sometimes do not have the cal. on the head stamp. RA 54 could mean Remington Arms, 54 would be the year of manufacture.

OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just a guess w/o a pix but if it's about and 1-1/4" to 3/8" probably 30 cal. Military rounds sometimes do not have the cal. on the head stamp. RA 54 could mean Remington Arms, 54 would be the year of manufacture.

Thanks for info. Def a .30 cal, but odd looking. Its like a high brass 32. Some of my family were in the military. Very cool, thanks again.

1graeman

Mar 7, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang, hunter you are really good at this Guess what I have in my hand? :notworthy:

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh..... I can guess what you have in your hand right now but I'm not sure you want me to tell everybody?:laughing7:

It was just a guess on Jay's case and don't really know if I was right but I do has some experience in another hobby.

Last edited:

JOHUNT

Sep 24, 2009
Southern tier of New York
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct. I have a .50 cal with the same RA headstamp.

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shell casing

I've been hunting an Army training grounds that was used from 1942 -1962 ,and have researched all the headstamps that I find out there. Your casing sounds like it could be military/Gov issue & might be a 30:06 shell , RA = Rutherford Arsenal ,Pa . 54= year of manufacture. I included a pic of one that I found from 55 . PPC

Attachments

• DSCF3745.JPG
    DSCF3745.JPG
    151.9 KB · Views: 371
OP
OP
Jay In NewKen

Jay In NewKen

Jun 24, 2012
New Kensington, Pa
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If everyone would like, i can post a pic when i get home from work.

It's way smaller than a modern 30.06 casing and doesn't have the bottleneck. I estimate the height at about 1"

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Something was naggin at me after my last post here,, SO, MY APOLOGIES !! I was wrong ,wrong,& wrong on so many levels. It is Remington Arms,,,, It was not Rutherford (which I wrote )or Frankford, which is what I meant and was thinkin of,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, So now I will try to back away as gracefully as I can and go back to bed ,a good day to all :BangHead:

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1" , definitly not a 30:06 , hope you figure it out .

hunter_46356

Feb 12, 2012
Indiana/Florida
Detector(s) used
NOx 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe some pic's will help compare. This is a typ. 30cal. military round manufactured by Lake City arsenal in 1952. (LC 52) Using head stamps as a way of dating a site could be questionable as the military has stock piled ammo for ever and it can be purchased today by the qualified public. This round was purchased in a lot along with a vintage 30Cal, Carbine from the CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) operated by none other than our US Government, Port Clinton OH. facility just a few years ago. If your case is shorter than this, then it is obviously something else. Hope this helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread